• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Green Lantern Movie ***SPOILERS***

Started by Midnite, September 03, 2008, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

Linky

The costume design remind me of Kyle's second Ion costume.

Podmark

I like it. It's Green Lantern meets the standard superhero movie costume, and I'm ok with it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It still looks like Green Lantern, so I'm okay with it.

Panther_Gunn

Personally, I don't care for it.  Not iconic eough.

"So sayeth the Stick In The Mud!"

The Hitman

As movie costumes go, it's pretty decent. I like it.

BWPS

BlueBard

Hmm.  I do understand why many movie superheroes look like they're wearing body armor.  I really do.  It makes them look muscular even when they aren't so much.  It was durn near a requirement for Michael Keaton as Batman (for those old enough to remember that).

But they don't all need it.  Look at the X-men, for example.  And Spider-Man.  Superman.  Sure the outfits are probably padded and sculpted to a point, but they don't look like they're padded and sculpted.

GL is one who doesn't need a body armor uniform.  That's what the darn ring is for.  Get someone reasonably handsome and athletic and don't worry about muscle definition.

But, the uniform looks sleek and cool anyhow and I wouldn't have a conniption if I saw it in a theatre.

BlueBard

They do need to make it look less like Iron Man's chestpiece, though.

bat1987

It`s cool, recognisable enough, but it does look more like kyle`s costume.

murs47

UnkoMan

Quote from: BlueBard on September 04, 2008, 07:40:14 AM
GL is one who doesn't need a body armor uniform.  That's what the darn ring is for.

On the other hand, the ring sculpts the costume from the owner's imagination. Therefore if they imagine armor, they get it. I know if I had a ring I wouldn't be flying around in spandex.

docdelorean88

looks like a mix between Kyle and John. But it is a good start.

herodad1

unko was making a good point.if aliens were in charge of a galactic military peace keeping force(real world)they would probably be dressed in a form of body armor with technology built in also.dc may be thinking of the more intelligent pick-apart movie goers of the 21st century.back when gl first came out anything impressed everyone.i like the look.

Courtnall6

Meh...no white gloves. The white gloves are what make the Green Lantern costume work so well.

Back to the drawing board with you!

BlueBard

Quote from: herodad1 on September 04, 2008, 01:27:17 PM
unko was making a good point.if aliens were in charge of a galactic military peace keeping force(real world)they would probably be dressed in a form of body armor with technology built in also.dc may be thinking of the more intelligent pick-apart movie goers of the 21st century.back when gl first came out anything impressed everyone.i like the look.

The look's okay.  But I don't agree with the body armor thing.  Your argument is sound, but doesn't fit.  Think like an Oan with me for a moment.

The ring is both weapon and protection.  And a whole lot more.  If not the ultimate in Oan technology, it comes darn close.  Why equip the Corps with inferior technology?  And they don't.  The ring provides the uniform as well, and there's no need for inferior padding when a ring-generated force field does the job.

Now then.  Let's step into the mind of a GL.  The ring does respond to the will of the wearer.  And you could argue that if the wearer feels safer if he's wearing an armored uniform, then he's going to have the ring shape one.  That has a certain 'ring' of truth, doesn't it?

But there's a potential flaw in that logic.  If the ring is the ultimate protection, but you need something else to make you feel safe, then that says you don't have complete confidence in the ring's ability to protect you.  It's a sign of weak-mindedness that would tend to make you a less effective Green Lantern.

On the other hand, armor is easy to visualize and that would help focus the will.  GL's generate shields and walls and stuff like that all the time.

So, body armor isn't strictly necessary.  But if it helps focus, then there's no reason you can't have it.  So it works either way.  The question is, if you could imagine ANY uniform you wanted to, would you pick that look?

Maybe.  But as it turns out, it's not entirely relevant.  GL doesn't have the outfit he has because that's the look he prefers... he has it because it's a uniform.  It identifies him as a member of the Green Lantern Corps.  And, as I've pointed out, the Oans who created the Corps would consider body armor to be redundant.

Ajax

Or maybe the armor is the ring's last resort, in case of emergency break the glass type deal. If you don't have enough energy to put up a field or someone catches you off guard, you have that armor to protect you.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It would also be useful for psychological purposes.  The bad guys may not all understand the ring, so seeing them look heavily armored might discourage some potential problems, even if the Lantern doesn't really need it.

Podmark

In the comics the rings have been beaten and stuff has gotten through the force field various times. It's only prudent to wear some degree of armor. Its not a sign of lack of faith (well it could be), it's a sign of realizing your limitations and preparing for them. Personally I tend to believe the GL costumes in the comics are made of a similar type material as Bats and co wear.

Also you have to keep in mind that this is a movie for general movie fans as well as the actual GL fans. So choosing a costume that a general public thinks cool/makes sense is ideal especially if its one your GL fans can still appreciate, perhaps not to the same extent of the comics cannon though. It's why Batman has his armor in the Nolan movies rather than the look in the comics.

catwhowalksbyhimself

There is one change, though, that I am pretty much insistent that they need.  Get rid of the spotty/glowy thing and use the classic GL emblem.

Make that change and the rest of the costume is cool.

Podmark

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 05, 2008, 09:34:31 PM
There is one change, though, that I am pretty much insistent that they need.  Get rid of the spotty/glowy thing and use the classic GL emblem.

Make that change and the rest of the costume is cool.

You know when I took my first look at it I didn't like that disc thing either. One second look I didn't mind it as much but I think switching to something more similar to a GL symbol (there's a few to choose from) would be better.

BlueBard

We can all agree there.  Get rid of the glowy disc thing.  He's not Iron Man.  A GL emblem is a must.

docdelorean88

Well, they could keep th disc thing if they made the top and bottom parts of the lantern bigger and more raised or recessed like the disc.

Podmark

He did a great job in New Frontier. I greatly dislike Hal Jordan but with David onboard I'd be sure to see it.

BentonGrey

That costume needs more green (on his stomach, so the colors match the design of the original, a change there would be no reason NOT to make), but other than that, I think it is a pretty nice adaptation.  I also think that this actor being talked about would make a pretty good Hal Jordan.  His work in New Frontier was really quite good, even if I didn't totally love their version of Hal.

Panther_Gunn

I'll probably be in the minority on this one, but I'm not so thrilled with this possible casting choice.  I like the guy & everything, but I don't think he's right for Hal.  (and no, don't ask me who I think would be better....I've never been good at that game)  I'm not saying this would be a deal breaker for me, but it would be similar to Routh as Superman....missing the mark.  However, I think Boreanez would make a *great* Hawkman.  Maybe even dye up his hair & make him Aquaman.  :P

And for the record, I could tell that the concept art was done with someone particular in mind, but couldn't tell who. 

BentonGrey

Hmm, he WOULD make a pretty good Hawkman.

bat1987

David did a good job in NF, I think he would make a great live-action Hal.