• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Fringe

Started by BWPS, September 10, 2008, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWPS

This was a good show. At first I was like, "way to go, you ripped off X-Files," but after watching the whole episode, I think they really only kinda ripped off X-Files.

Did anyone else watch it. Maybe you could find something really wrong with it that I didn't notice so I won't like it anymore  :o

stumpy

I was just unimpressed.

As a preface, I will say that I don't need a show to have "relatable" or "sympathetic" characters. I think The Sopranos is a great show and I don't relate to or like any character on it.

That said, I can't see watching a show like Fringe unless one of the major characters gets a personality overhaul. I didn't like any of them, really. The "socially inept scientist" is a weak cliché. And, honestly, "tough guy" feds? Yawn. I think the events at the end of the premiere were intended to lay the groundwork for making these characters a bit more likable, but I really spent all but the last few minutes not caring about any of them.

But, maybe the show has some potential. It's too early to say. And, I can't recall if, for instance, The X Files was this... unengaging... early on. I get the impression that this show is supposed to be sort of a The X Files meets 24. I liked The X Files, though I only watched intermittently, but I never got into 24. Somehow the premise isn't working for me here. It's trying to be too hard-edged and realistic to be The X Files, but it's got too much weirdo "science" (the crystalizing fed, the drug-induced dream telepathy, etc.) to be a believable gritty counter-terrorism show.

Anyway, I am tempted to write this off, but I am also curious what others thought of it. Maybe it's doing something better than I thought.

Podmark

For most of the show I was unimpressed, but by the end they showed some elements (the company and conspiracy thingy specifically) that made me think this show might turn out.

I kinda did like the characters by the end, which is a good start.

Show's supposed to be a science fiction meets CSI type. By the end I said to my friend that this is probably Fox's successor to the X-Files.

If I had to rate the ep right now it'd probably be a 6 or 7, though it was a 5 about half way in. Picked up towards the end. Still I think there may be some potential here.

bredon7777

Total X-files ripoff.

Hot partners? Check
Government conspiracy? Check
Weird crap that needs to be explained? Check

That said, I'll take a well done genre show over 95% of the rest of the crap on TV, so I'm in..at least for a few more episodes.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I think it has potential, and I deem it watchable.  For those of you who didn't see and live stateside, Hulu has it.

My biggest criticism is that for a paranormal investigation show, they picked a plot that had very little to none of the paranormal in it.  (Nothing too paranormal about artificial plagues and deadly chemicals.)

Podmark

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 10, 2008, 08:59:09 PM
My biggest criticism is that for a paranormal investigation show, they picked a plot that had very little to none of the paranormal in it.  (Nothing too paranormal about artificial plagues and deadly chemicals.)

It's not really a paranormal series. It's based around fringe science (hence the name) stuff that is supposed to be on the verge of breakthroughs in the real world, or so they said in a interview I read.

BWPS

Quote from: Podmark on September 10, 2008, 09:27:12 PM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 10, 2008, 08:59:09 PM

It's not really a paranormal series. It's based around fringe science (hence the name) stuff that is supposed to be on the verge of breakthroughs in the real world, or so they said in a interview I read.
Well, she went on about reanimation and teleportation and invisibility and whatnot. And as it progressed it got more into stuff I'd definitely say was paranormal. I think that's the direction the show was taking.
I agree about the characters, except Joshua Jackson. I dunno, he was kinda funny. I was really worried at first that the boyfriend was going to be a main character. But I don't think that's the case.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteIt's not really a paranormal series. It's based around fringe science (hence the name) stuff that is supposed to be on the verge of breakthroughs in the real world, or so they said in a interview I read.

The term fringe science usually means paranormal.  There are people proporting to be researching everything form ghosts, to psychic powers to ufos and they are labled fringe scientists.

robinka

I had fun watching it. I wanted them to linger in the dream sequence a little longer because i thought that was cool. Pacey did a good job but seth green would have been a funnier choice.

Podmark

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 11, 2008, 06:53:28 AM
QuoteIt's not really a paranormal series. It's based around fringe science (hence the name) stuff that is supposed to be on the verge of breakthroughs in the real world, or so they said in a interview I read.

The term fringe science usually means paranormal.  There are people proporting to be researching everything form ghosts, to psychic powers to ufos and they are labled fringe scientists.

lol ok well there you go.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually, I looked up fringe science, and it looks like you are right, Podmark, and I am wrong.  But, whatever they call it, the ads and even stuff in the series seem to indicate more paranormal type stuff in the the show.

At least they'd better, because that's probably what people are expecting, giving how it reminds everyone of a X-files type show.

At the same time, ratings weren't great, and Fox has a very low tolerance for disappointing ratings, so it may not matter anyway.

Ajax

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 11, 2008, 09:09:04 PM
Actually, I looked up fringe science, and it looks like you are right, Podmark, and I am wrong.  But, whatever they call it, the ads and even stuff in the series seem to indicate more paranormal type stuff in the the show.

At least they'd better, because that's probably what people are expecting, giving how it reminds everyone of a X-files type show.

At the same time, ratings weren't great, and Fox has a very low tolerance for disappointing ratings, so it may not matter anyway.

It should probably stay away from the paranormal and just focus on the science. That way they can at least say "we weren't a total x-files ripoff". Plus, given the characters they setup and the world, I don't think paranormal topics would fit. You have two scientists working with the FBI, a group of renegade scientists using the world as their lab, and a technology based corporation that is behind it all. No Ouija boards here please.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteNo Ouija boards here please.

No offense, but you obviously know nothing about modern paranormal research, or you would not have made such a statement.  Modern paranormal research would fit in this setup quite well.

Ajax

I know very little about modern paranormal research beyond it being considered a pseudoscience (at the best of times). The Ouija board was a joke. I'll stand by my belief that they should stick to theoretical sciences and stay away from the paranormal. Even if they dress up some of the aspects of the show to make it seem like science (like the brain wavelength thing), I would prefer it over ghosts or cryptids. 

Podmark

Personally I'm up for anything if they can make it interesting. I'm a big Lost fan and I really just watched because I wanted to see what Abrams created here. I plan to check out the first few eps, see if it's worth watching.

Talavar

I caught the second episode of Fringe tonight, and wasn't terribly impressed.  For a show that's supposedly "realistic" science fiction, they're going to have to pull out techno-babble of a higher caliber than what someone with high-school science can see through.

I could overlook that if the rest of the show was compelling, but I didn't find it to be so.  It's not terrible, but I don't know if I care to see it again.

Jakew

I like the actors, and the look of the show, but the story isn't hooking me like, say, the first few episodes of Lost, Heroes or Dexter.

Nice to see some OZ alumni in the cast.

bredon7777

2nd episode was AWFUL. Hope it doesn't fall victim to the Ep 2 curse.

catwhowalksbyhimself

After seeing the most recent episode, I have to say, it fails.  If it were more X-filish, without having to scientifically explain everything, I might have bought it, but by trying to go for the fringes of real science, it fails, because it makes no sense.

[spoiler]The pituitary gland controls growth, NOT aging.  Jacking it up full blast cannot make someone grow that fast.  It will make them grow quickly, but not like that.  Besides that, mass cannot be created.  The baby didn't eat, so how did it grow after being delivered?  Where did it get its mass before hand, the mother didn't seem to loss any mass?
[/spoiler]

As a supernatural thing, I might have bought it.  As a scientific thing, it's just plain stupid.

stumpy

I agree that the science was garbage from top to bottom. [spoiler]I am particularly a critic of somethng TV writers can't seem to resist: showing a subject of accelerated biological aging as having his hair turn grey or white, even that hair which is outside the scalp before the fast aging starts. This seems to be one of those things (like wrinkled skin) that Hollywood seems to think is just such a perfect way to depict aging, even when it makes no sense.

Anyway, that's maybe a point off, but it doesn't kill the show for me. I don't expect good science from a TV drama, but I wish it weren't just laughably bad. I guess people with a halfway respectable background in science are too expensive to hire as consultants for the show.

I will say, in the show's favor, that the characters are a bit more likable this time around. They are still running the idea that Biship Jr is a mystery man (and maybe involved with or a product of one of Bishop Sr's experiements) and Massive Dynamics is a big, evil corporation (unethical experiments, nightmare soldier engineering, manipulation of elections, etc.) and I wish they wouldn't go there because those are such predictable plot lines. I am liking Bishop Jr more though.

And, also in the show's favor, they are slipping a few good lines to Denethor (Bishop Sr) now and then. I particularly liked "I can't figure this out with a girl buzzing in my ear!"  :lol:[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Haven't seen the last two yet, but the show is doing well now that new episodes of House precede it. In fact, it's the best new show so far in the desirable young adult male demographic, and has a full season order now, so it looks like this show may hang around a while.

And while it isn't fringe, something I though of about your last post, Stumpy, while watching Eureka:

[spoiler]
If you don't like normal rapid aging potrayals, you might appreciate the last episode of Eureka.  Now Gray hair or any real extreme change in appearance other that cataracts suddenly developing.  In fact, rapid aging is pretty realistically show to be more a young person aging inside and getting all the medical problems of age rather than the outside.
[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, I've given up on this show for now.  It has potential, and I liked the addition of the Observer, but there's nothing about the stories that really grips me, and plus I am getting tired of the doctor having personally done every single wierd thing that shows up.  I just can't buy it.   It seems like one deus ex machina after another.  I was just starting to watch one, and after 5 minutes, everything had been revealed and there just seemed to be no reason to keep watching.

AfghanAnt

I've seen two episodes and I'm not impressed at all. I really thought it was going to be better. It just comes off as so generic and I could swap out the main characters for people just like them and I don't think I was miss any of them or even care where they went.

Podmark

Yeah same here. Found myself barely paying attention last time.

steamteck

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 17, 2008, 08:52:40 PM
After seeing the most recent episode, I have to say, it fails.  If it were more X-filish, without having to scientifically explain everything, I might have bought it, but by trying to go for the fringes of real science, it fails, because it makes no sense.

[spoiler]The pituitary gland controls growth, NOT aging.  Jacking it up full blast cannot make someone grow that fast.  It will make them grow quickly, but not like that.  Besides that, mass cannot be created.  The baby didn't eat, so how did it grow after being delivered?  Where did it get its mass before hand, the mother didn't seem to loss any mass?
[/spoiler]

As a supernatural thing, I might have bought it.  As a scientific thing, it's just plain stupid.

I thought it was  kind of neat actually. I really don't care about the rubber science.