• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

FFvTR on Linux

Started by GogglesPizanno, September 14, 2008, 12:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GogglesPizanno

I set up a dual Boot on my laptop (XP and Ubuntu) and after working out the horror of the ATI driver situation, I thought what the hell, Wine officially hit 1.0 I wonder if it'll run FFvTR...

Anyway, I just ran the game using the install on the windows partition, and it worked.
It was one of those funny "Hey, look at that!" moments.

Just thought I'd share.

stumpy

I don't even have Linux installed on my current machine (though a Cygwin console is constantly open) and I think this is very cool. Nice work!  :thumbup:

Epimethee

Thanks for the info, G. I'll have to give Wine another try on OS X.

Epimethee

Limited success so far; my complete absence of Unix proficiency doesn't help, obviously.

Three Wine variants tested: Wine, Darwine and Crossover Games. No grapes were subjected to clinical tests.

Wine source doesn't compile, choking on some package.

The OS X pre-compiled Darwine can't find the CD. Idem for Crossover. Tried various solutions to no avail. it appears that Wine has issues with CDs and copy protection. This is quite understandable for open source general-purpose software like (Dar-)Wine. However, for paid software dedicated to gaming like Crossover Games... :huh:  Finally gave up and installed some ahem "fix" (so long, beta patch). Darwine still no go (either from the Crossover install (can't find the language files which are there) or directly from the C: drive (DLL function not implemented).

Once the CD check is bypassed, Crossover does work. Kind of. Apart from very minor visual glitches, it looks good, and fast, both fullscreen or windowed. However, there's no sound whatsoever: nothing shows under the Sound tab! No idea how to solve this one.

Also, the mission I tried couldn't initialize its Python script properly – no surprise; there's no Documents and Settings directory under Crossover's XP simulation. I guess could either use the old Win98-style file structure inside the FFvsTTR folder or find out what username is to be used and reproduce it. However, this leaves the most damning issue,which is that the Crossover setup requires a copy of the game on the OS X drive. Might be OK for casual gaming, but for modding, it's quite annoying. No success referring to the Windows drive using Wine's network mountpoint ("z:") or with symbolic linking. Didnt try hard linking, since the file systems are different.

So, the glass of wine is half-full, yet half-empty.

Epimethee

For the hordes of Mac users out there (that's you, IPS), while the game was quite unplayable using Parallels Desktop, it's mostly fine under VMWare Fusion, apart from some major meshing distortions. Bottom line is I can now play without rebooting into Windows! :D

I guess Fusion's custom virtual video driver is the reason, as Parallels is stuck with emulating a very lame Intel chip.