• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Skoping hair question.

Started by House Quake, September 23, 2008, 02:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House Quake

I'm pretty sure this has been covered some where... but where I couldn't tell you.

What I need to know are the restrictions about moving hair from one mesh to another. .. esp in regards to texures and mapping. The beest practical examples are the ones I'm hoping to do.

- I'm sure a wig/hair from one female basic or longhair type mesh should move perfectly to another because typically they use similiar mapping on the same texture.
- I'm also pretty sure that a hair/wig which is mapped to a seperate texture all together can work as well... and be no different than another extra.
- but what about taking the hair from a female basic which is mapped to the same texture as is the more common standard... and applying it to a female versatile, for instance, which uses hair/wigs mapped to a seprate texture?  Is a seperate texture creared for that wig?  What about the mapping?

I more than likely won't be doing the skopes myself...but I would like to know what was possible.

Podmark

Essentially any mesh object (hair, belt, body etc) that is separate from the rest of the mesh (easy test try to make the object hidden/invisible - if you can't hide it without hiding the rest of the mesh then you can't skope it) can be skoped from one mesh to the other.

Some are easier than others. For example moving a Ink female hair to another Ink female mesh should be simple, but moving it to a male mesh or a Tommyboy female mesh will probably require a little more work.

As for textures, not an issue. Nifskope allows you to assign what TGA the object uses for mapping so you could take two parts using the exact same mapping on ex. extras.tga and assign the second to extras2.tga. I believe you can also map object using nifskope but I've never actually played with that before and I'm not 100% it exists.

For an example, the irrational female_basic and female_longhair are both one object - hair and all. Therefore you can't take the hair and move it to another mesh. You could through alphas (which you can easily add in Nifskope) skope a different hair piece onto one of meshes, hiding the original hair with the alpha - but I don't really suggest that.

As another example the Irrational female_versatile is all separate pieces. So it's easy to move pieces from one mesh to another. The majority of Ink and Tommyboy meshes are good for this as well. Many of Renegades meshes have the body molded so they aren't always nifskope friendly.