• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Kenneth Branagh In Talks To Direct Thor Movie

Started by Jakew, September 29, 2008, 07:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakew

Branagh In Talks To Direct Comic Book Movie
29 September 2008 12:08 PM, PDT

Shakespearean star Kenneth Branagh is the surprise favourite to direct the next big Marvel comic book movie Thor.

The British actor - more famous for his roles onstage - is negotiating with Marvel bosses over the movie, due for release in 2010.

Branagh's last big-screen directorial outing was 2007's Sleuth, starring Sir Michael Caine and Jude Law.

But he is most recognised in film for directing 1989 Shakespeare epic Henry V; Robert De Niro in 1994's Frankenstein, and a 1996 version of Shakespeare's Hamlet, with himself in the lead role.

Thor follows the tale of a disabled medical student with the Norse god as an alter ego.

bredon7777

HubuhWuh?I thought Matthew Vaughn had this thing locked.

Ajax

I wonder if he will play the human version of Thor too(name slips my mind). He would be perfect for that role.

Jakew

Ajax

Robert Downey Jr. played Tony Stark and he isn't exactly a young chick, especially in hollywood terms.

Jakew

Matthew Vaughn is doing Kick-arse, which is funded with his own $$$.

Is there anything in Branagh's resume which would make him suitable to direct this kind of effect-laden action/fanasty movie? I love his Shakespeare films, but his other stuff is pretty dire. I'm guessing he has the most experience directing actors playing characters who say "thou" a lot....

However, I agree that he'd be great as Donald Blake.

BentonGrey

Hmm, a Branagh directed Thor movie COULD totally rock....I hope they keep it faithful to the classic Thor, and don't shy away from the Asgard aspect of the story.  After all, that totally plays to Branagh's strengths.  Also, just because he directs doesn't mean he'd be playing the lead role.

TheMarvell

I think Branagh would be better actually PLAYING Thor himself, but if he directs, that could be just as cool.

BentonGrey

Nah, you really need a big guy to play Thor.  He doesn't necessarily have to be ripped like a body builder, but he has to be taller than Branagh.