• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Black Bolt

Started by Mowgli, September 30, 2008, 01:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mowgli

Hey There! I got a comission for an 11x17" pic of Black Bolt. This is where I am so far. Let me know what you think!  And thanks for looking!  :)

Xenolith

Very good.  The figure itself is a little more muscular than I like to see but that's just my personal taste.  I think your client will be happy.  I do think BB's left foot looks funky.  If you were trying to make the foot look like it's turned inward a little, I'd suggest modifying the shape of the heel.  If not, well then the foot needs to be straighter.  I'm not a fan of the stong border around his ab muscles, because it makes him look a little too thin and not muscular, but that's just my taste (I like Curt Swan's stuff, for example).  I think the chest, arms, and hands look very good and you did a good job with persepctive along that axis.  Pretty strong, Mowgli.  I think you should try this same picture with a little arc to his back, like he's swooping instead of his legs just sort of hanging there.  Not that your picture is wrong or incorrect, but I think it needs a little action.  I think you are good and the picture is good, and aren't too far away from being very good.

Just to add,

I do cartoon artwork on the side (DnD-type stuff and a few non-DnD book illustrations) and I've really started evaluating what my own work lacks/what would take me to the next level of work.  So, I hope you don't take this criticism as mean spirited, I just want to help as best I can.  You certainly are talented and should keep applying yourself to this craft.  I think your samurai warriors are quite excellent! 

electro

Mowgli

Xenolith: Thanks for the critique. It's always rewarding when someone takes the time to put that much thought into replying. I appreciate that greatly and didn't take it as mean spirited at all. I agree with you completely about the foot and it needs to be addressed before inking. I spent most of my time with the torso and arms to make sure he rotated correctly. I think I did the feet as an afterthought, and it shows. I will work on that. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!  :)

Electro: Thanks man!  :)

UnkoMan

I was actually going to mention the feet as well, but Xenolith did a better job than I could. I'd say actually the whole left leg seems off, in terms of how it is bent. Also right where hip connects to torso looks odd on the opposite side. Compressed.

These things definately change the feel from flying to just about to dive off of something. That being said, it's still a great drawing. I like your shadow work and actually enjoy the musculature on his arms and chest.

Zippo

The shadows are really kickin'. That's one thing I want to work on myself, but yours are sweet.

captainspud

Quick 'N Dirty before I go to bed:

1) I agree with Xeno, sweep the legs back. You've got his upper body in a soaring pose, and his lower in a landing post. The soaring half is better, so keep that one. :) Remember: arced abs stick out, and strong dudes GOT BACK! ;)

2) His head is really skewed and lopsided-- you gotta stop working on that drafting table. ;) The chin needs to move out from the neck a bit, and to the left, and he should have a bit of meat visible on the left side of his chin.

The torso and arms are fabulous. Great musculature and hands.

Mowgli

Unkoman and Spud: Thanks for the great crits! I appreciate the articulate responses, especially the drawings Spud. Those always help me see what you are saying. Unfortunately I must have missed what I wanted with the pose if people want more action. I agree that Spud's drawing looks more correct (I gotta work on those hips and feet). But I don't think that pose says "Black Bolt" to me at all. I was going for a rising up (levitating) feel for the strong, silent character. I guess I didn't get there yet. I think I will simply draw another picture with another pose in hopes of getting the anatomy right in a picture that better conveys the character I am drawing.

Thanks again for the crits. It's always helpful to have extra pairs of objective eyes seeing things I miss.  :)

BWPS

I'm going to go with a major thumbs up for this. I'm the worst artist ever, so my opinion doesn't count, but: From the little that I've seen of the character (who is really awesome) I agree with you about the pose, it works for him. Also, the facial expression is what really wins. BB often has that look on his face, its his trademark (like Batgirls scrunchy-nose face). The face and chin seems a little narrow, but I'm pretty sure that's just more your style of drawing people.

Uncle Yuan

I always love seeing folks stuff up here.  So much talent on these here boards . . .

I'll add my two cents - if you're going for the "strong hover-y" look I would have his head looking straight ahead and looking down  - as if he's surveying the ground from on high - although with the arms like that he would look very Christ-like (which may be what you're going for).

Also, to my taste I think he looks a little too lean - I guess I see him with more of a Cap build.  This strikes me as being more DD.  But that's a style thing, about which I won't quibble.

MJB

No offense but I think that Spud's drawing says it all.

-MJB

Figure Fan

Mowgli: I think that when you redo Black Bolt, you should work from a lower angle so that you're witnessing him as he rises up into the air. That way, a more static hovering pose will look much more dynamic. Also, you could go with a tilted up head or a looking down head. Both would be fitting.

Spud: That is some nice pose work. I don't get how you can draw with a tablet. It's just..odd to me.