• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Water footsteps?

Started by qazwsx, October 11, 2008, 08:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qazwsx

If I wanted the water bits on my map to sound like water, what would the steps be to go about it? I have to add extra data to the Nif right? Then what do I name the new sound? Anyone ever done something like this? Maybe I could borrow their architecture. Thanks  :lol:

cmdrkoenig67

Hi Q,

This is something I attempted way back, when I began making maps (I too wanted the watery sections of my maps to sound like water when walked on/in by the characters).  It involves hexing terrain areas to water (they're all set to sand, metal, snow, grass, rock, etc...) and I attempted to use Man O' War's traveling sounds as the base sounds, but....I never got it too work.  I gave up after a while...Which does not mean, it can't be done...I just am not tech savvy enough to figure it out.

BTW...You'd have to add water-walking sounds to every character's walk sounds for your map to sound "right".

Best.

Dana

CORRECTION:  Some characters already have water walk sounds(I just looked)...

qazwsx

Sucess! Thanks for the support dana, it's not as tedious as you made it sound though, all chracters will default to the "any" foot sounds unless they already have custom sounds, so all you have to do is hex once copy of the orginal "nistringextradata" then you can copy that string over and over to paste over whatever section of the map you'd like in NifSkope. Simple init? At first I thought I'd have to copy a pre-existing string from a map that already had the water string. Thanks Dana! It was a good thing "metal" has exactly the same number of letters as "water" though or else I wouldn't know what to replace the extra letter with.(delete it?) Hmm, and what about a longer sound name, like "rubblE".

cmdrkoenig67

Told you I wasn't tech savvy... :P