• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Now for Something Completely Different

Started by BentonGrey, October 14, 2008, 10:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

While taking a break from the DCUG, what project should I pursue?

Transformers
4 (15.4%)
Thundercats
8 (30.8%)
VERY short Ninja Turtles campaign
2 (7.7%)
Shut up and get to work on that Aquaman/Green Lantern/Flash/whoever campaign!
8 (30.8%)
Didn't you talk about doing MarvelG at some point in time?  (No, you're imagining things, go away)
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

BentonGrey

So, I'm getting somewhat closer to finishing the full release of the DCUG.  It will have three full campaigns, and I fully intend to expand upon those and add campaigns for other characters eventually.....but I feel like once I finish the release (and most likely deal with whatever bugs pop up) I will need a good long hiatus from the project before I feel like tackling the other stories I want to tell.  So, I've also got story outlines for the Transformers, plus a hankering to take on other beloved characters of my youth like the Thundercats.  I'm afraid my dreams of GI JOE died with the Beyonder's retirement, so that one is out.  All of the art assets exist for Transformers, thanks to Val's heroic efforts, but the Thundercats only have a few characters made so far.  The question I pose to you is, what would the community enjoy more, and is there enough interest from the content creators to make Thundercats a viable option?  As for everyone kind enough to share your opinions, I'd appreciate it if you would post and let me know who is voting for what, if only for my own curiosity! :D

Previsionary

I wanted to choose thundercats, but the lack of assets would set you back awhile, so I chose transformers. It'd be nice to have a FFVTTR mod for them and, since Val + Lude never added onto their mod, a new adventure would work well. Plus, you could make use of some of Val's new creations!

BentonGrey

Thanks for the response Prev, and that is my concern as well.  Yeah, although I think the energy problem of FF2 would be even more pronounced in a Transformers mod....so it has its own problems.  Still, I think I could get around it. 

bearded

"BentonGrey takes on the toys!"
you know what would be fun...
a massive toy driven game.  thundercats, he man, gi joe, transformers, gem(truly outrageous!)

billdamn22

I went with Thundercats, and it has nothing to do with the Panthro skin I am working on....seriously.....
If you are worried about content, I believe Wingzero made meshes for all the 'Cats. The baddies would need to be made, though.

BentonGrey

Ohh!  I can't wait to see a Panthro done by you, Billdamn, that should be pretty awesome.  Were you thinking about doing any of the other Cats?  Yeah, I remember Wingzero doing some of the cats, but I suppose it is possible he finished all of them.  Still, heroes without villains do not a mod make. ;)

Haha, Bearded, I have to admit that Gem was never really on my radar, except as a show that came on somewhere in the vicinity of the "good" cartoons, like GI JOE, Transformers, and for a short time, Denver the Last Dinosaur.......man, that last one had BAAAAD 80's funk all over it.  I never thought about He-Man, though.  I have to say that, although I loved it when I was a kid, it doesn't have much appeal to me these days....which is a shame, as there are actually art assets for that one. :P

yell0w_lantern

I think you should join me on the Crossover Classic Mod.
Barring that, how about a Cartoon Crossover where the Robotech Expeditionary Force winds up in the Transformers universe after the SDF-3 tries to space-fold and disappears? Throw in Cy-Kill again and I think you'll have a winner!

Cyber Burn

I went with the "Shut up and get to work" option. Barring that though, my second choice would be Yellow Lantern's suggestion:

QuoteI think you should join me on the Crossover Classic Mod.

BentonGrey

YL......PM me about your project.  No promises, but we can talk.  I'm afraid I don't have much interest in the animes like Robotech, it never really got to me....although I have to say I am very mildly interested in Voltron...not enough to do anything with it, but I recognize it as part of those golden Saturday mornings.

CB, out of curiosity, what precisely would you like to see me do in the "shut up and get to work" option? ^_^

Cyber Burn

I hope that didn't come across as being rude, it wasn't my intent. But as far as the other options went, they just didn't interest me that much, whereas, I still really look forward to seeing the finished version of the DCUG.

BentonGrey

Not at all, not at all, CB.  I was purely curious about which character (or group of characters) you were most interested in seeing me pursue.  Whenever I get back to the DCUG, I will start work on Aquaman first and foremost, but I haven't decided who else I'd like to work on.  It would probably be Flash or GL, but I have also got outlines for Green Arrow, a Brave and Bold campaign, and some very, VERY vague ideas for a Blue and Gold team up.  I'll probably include the latter in the Brave and Bold line, instead of their own campaign. 

Also, for those of you voting for the Thundercats, I've only seen one person say that they were working on a skin.  Is anyone else interested or willing to make content?

Blitzgott

I've choosen the fourth option from above.

As for the other options, I believe the Transformers one has the most potential.

Uncle Yuan

BentonGrey

Hmm...there is more Thundercats interest that I would have guessed, but still not tons.  I think that if the necessary art elements end up being created, I will eventually tackle a Thundercats mod...even if it isn't a very long one.  That won't be my next project though, as there aren't enough materials to work with currently, and I don't forsee them springing into being in the next few months, when I will (hopefully) start working on it.

So far it looks like most people would rather see me expand the DCUG with a new campaign or ten.  I'm a little surprised at that, but if that is what everyone wants, I imagine that I can drag myself back to the subject. ;)  I think I'm going to take some time to create a Marvel Vs. DC multiplayer compilation for a friend of mine and me to play, but that should only take a week or so once I finish the release version of the DCUG.  It would basically be a REALLY trimmed down version of the DCUG, with many of the third and fourth stringers cut out, combined with the Avengers, X-Men, major Marvel villains, and a few other sundries (probably with some descriptions, but definitely not 100% like the DCUG).  No missions or anything, just a common sandbox to beat the snot out of each other in.  If I do manage to throw that together, would anyone be interested in me releasing it?

On another note, whose campaigns would everyone like most to see in the first DCUG expansion?  Aquaman, as I've said, has the first slot, but, given the way I work, another is not out of the question.

Previsionary

Fire and Ice...you need a good duo campaign. There, decision made. ^^

BentonGrey

Ha, Fire and Ice, huh?  For some strange reason, that doesn't grab me. :D

ChazzDaMighty

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 17, 2008, 10:03:50 PM
Not at all, not at all, CB.  I was purely curious about which character (or group of characters) you were most interested in seeing me pursue.  Whenever I get back to the DCUG, I will start work on Aquaman first and foremost, but I haven't decided who else I'd like to work on.  It would probably be Flash or GL, but I have also got outlines for Green Arrow, a Brave and Bold campaign, and some very, VERY vague ideas for a Blue and Gold team up.  I'll probably include the latter in the Brave and Bold line, instead of their own campaign. 

Also, for those of you voting for the Thundercats, I've only seen one person say that they were working on a skin.  Is anyone else interested or willing to make content?

I was going to refrain from voting because I have a LOT of rl issues on my plate before I can get back to playing any kind of game.  but I think a Green Lantern campaign that 1) promoted energy conservation due to a finite charge on the ring and 2) rewarded creative use of the ring (ex hurling cars at a yellow hued monsters)  Would be welcome to more folks than just myself.

Also if its Hal, then I would like to see challenges to overcome without ring power.  If its NOT going to be Hal, then truthfully?  I have zero interest in navigating Kyle or Guy once they run out of juice.  "You're dead to me!"

BentonGrey

Hmm...interesting Chazz.  I welcome your input, whether you think you'll be playing this next month or next year.  If you have interest, I'd like your opinion.  I need to rework my Lanterns to give them finite charges...but that will probably wait for a while.  If I ever get to my Lantern campaign I actually have a mission where you would play a certain Lantern who would have to navigate a certain airfield filled with enemies in order to reach his power battery....

That being said, I've made my decision.  First off, I hate all of you that voted for Thundercats.......now I really want to do it, but the resources just don't exist, and I really don't have the energy to pursue them.  I may do some work on a Transformers campaign after I release the DCUG, but my main focus will be my Aquaman campaign, and a JSA/JLA crossover campaign (the next chapter of my JLA campaign).  Flash_22798 designed several characters for the crossover that I had eventually planned to do, but it was originally slated to come much later in the overarching JLA storyline.  In his memory, I think I'll do it next instead.