• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

nif converter

Started by jseturtle2, October 16, 2008, 08:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jseturtle2

This is probably somewhere else, but a search didn't turn up any useful hits.

I ran NPI's mass converter for meshes that barfed the game, (and the nif viewer in the mod tools) as well as Stumpy's lighting converter. Unfortunately, while they both made changes according to the lines printing in DOS, the nif viewer still can't read them and barfs. Needless to say, trying to use them for characters kills the game, as well.

A short list of some of them are: Ares; Ecstasy; Cannonball_new; any female_future_versatile; falcon_new_t; Kira; male_heavy_cape; minataur_with_axe; and so on. I also discovered all my male_basic and female_basic folders only have the head.nifs... guess I got to go find the basic character.nifs. What a pain!

Any advice on the nif conversion issues? Oh, and I did follow directions...

GogglesPizanno

You might try using the non-batch converter and try rerunning the meshes through the eznifconverter one at a time.

I had issues with some meshes using the batch similar to yours, but running them through the other program fixed most of them. Some people have even said running the same mesh several times will fix stubborn nifs as well...

USAgent

I myself couldn't get the mass converter from NPI to work either for any of my meshes, but lke Googles said, get the EZNif converter from Alex's Freedom Fortress, it worked just fine for me, and its easy.   Also I used the batch converter function on the EZNif converter for a dozen or so meshes a time without any issues either.  But yeah, there were a couple meshes that I had to run twice through it.

daglob

But be warned that there are some meshes that just will not convert: Beyonder's "hair" meshes (male_hair_friar, for instance), some of the Oconnor hexed meshes (such as The Green Hornet), some of Ink's Batgirl hexes, and many scoped meshes for instance. Many that didn't convert the first time did work fine the second. Sometimes, the mesh converted, but the keyframes did not (possibly they  been edited), and if you had suitable keyframes to substitute, that often (but not always) solved the problem.

Fortunately, most of the "unconvertable" meshes can be replaced (just put the Legion of Super heroes and Pureheart The Powerful on Male Basic and give them hair, put The Green Hornet on one of Detourneme's Oconnor hexes, hex edit your own Batgirl meshes). The only one I had that I couldn't do anything with was a Bainiac/Taskmaster mesh, and someone else DID get it to convert, so I have it now.

I copied all my FF1 meshes to a "conversion" directory 20-30, maybe a hundered at a time, and then I converted them at my leisure.

For scopes, you are on your own. Some people have mde two versions of them, but not often.

laughing paradox

Regarding skopes, there's a tutorial on the frwiki on how to convert skopes from  :ff: to  :ffvstr:

http://frworld.wikispaces.com/Converting+Skoped+Meshes

It doesn't work for EVERY skope, but there are definitely some if does work on.

jseturtle2

Ummmm... skopes?

Thanks for all the info. I will dl the exconverter from Alex, and see what I get.