• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Series Cancellations

Started by Talavar, October 17, 2008, 09:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talavar

Apparently this is the season for comic cancellations: I just learned that Spider-girl is ending soon, and so is Manhunter.  Anything else good going to make room for another _______ Avengers book at Marvel, or whatever dreck DC will churn out instead?

Previsionary

spider-girl and manhunter constantly rode that "might be canceled" train and that's because not enough people ventured outside of the big dogs to give their [spidey/manhunter] books an honest shot. :(

As for other canceled series:

Ultimate X-men
Ultimate Fan 4
Iron-man: Director of Shield
Minx
Legion of Superheroes (I hear)
Fringe (but will be relaunched)

Books I want canceled as of now:

New Exiles
New Warriors

:P

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on October 17, 2008, 10:48:05 AM
Legion of Superheroes (I hear)

Issue #50 is the last one.

Quote from: Previsionary on October 17, 2008, 10:48:05 AM
Books I want canceled as of now:

New Exiles
New Warriors

Is it the cancellation of the book you want? Or, the cancellation of Claremont's contract? ;)
I don't mind New Warriors being canceled.  The empty slot it's cancellation will provide will be well used. :thumbup:

cmdrkoenig67

Yes...Room for more Avengers titles...Like Newer Avengers, Newest Avengers and instead of another Mighty Avengers, they can have the Mediocre Avengers...Oh wait, that's New Avengers...Sorry.

:P

Talavar

I can't get too upset about Ultimate X-men getting cancelled - it's stunk for a long time, like a whale carcass rotting in the sun.

I hadn't heard about Iron Man: Director of Shield, but it had started to seem irrelevant, what with Stark having another Iron Man series and appearing in a bunch of other titles.  Who does he think he is, Wolverine?

I'd known about Legion of Superheroes getting the axe, which is too bad - I liked this version of the Legion.  I'm certain they'll be back in some form or another though - how many versions have there been by this point?  LoSH just won't die.

Prev, are New Exiles & New Warriors on the bubble, or is it just that you hate them?  I hope it's the former - I hate them too.

And there actually is another Avengers book coming: Dark Avengers, or some such garbage.  I'm going to claim the roster is Dark Beast, Darkhawk, Darkstar and Dark Phoenix, because that's about the level of thought I believe has gone into it.

Podmark

Yeah I'm upset about Spider-Girl. I think some might remember I've been a big fan about the book over the years. Thing is I might be able to let it go after all this time, but there's always hope for a last minute save with this series.

New Warriors needs to be cancelled or get a new writer or something. I just dropped it a few months ago and it's terrible.

As for Avengers I could care less about Bendis and his Dark Avengers but Dan Slott is taking over Mighty Avengers which is great news for me!

Previsionary

I dislike both books and what they've done to the characters immensely. Jubilee is already mostly hated...I don't need New Warriors making the hate worse. :P

Actually, Exiles is middle ground right now (for me), but I feel like they just hop around all purposeless and it's barely a team book to me. It's just an ensemble piece with no real purpose. I want claremont gone and I want the book canceled until they can retool it and make it interesting again. I don't want alternate rogue, mystique, and tame sabretooth in my face every other month, and me do not want Betsy being chased around through space and time with a psycho Sage trailing behind either, dannit! I didn't even mention Aqua-gambit. -_-

From what I hear, Dark Avengers actually involves Emma Frost...cause she's the female Wolverine. Or maybe that was illuminati? I don't know...Bendis and his "ideas" are hard to keep track of...because I rarely care. ^^

tommyboy

So there really is going to be a book called 'dark avengers'?
I thought that was just Kirkman extracting urea from Bendis in that head to head they had.
I know I hate everything Bendis does as a tedious knee-jerk reaction, so obviously this particular floater bobbing about in the bowl that is the 'house of ideas' (and has that title ever been more bitterly ironic?) just gets on my nerves. A lot.
Claremont 15 years ago is Bendis today, the one-note wunderkind who is box-office gold, but neither emperor is wearing any clothes.
I cannot wait until Bendis is recognized as the formulaic hack he is, and is as ridiculed as Claremont is. I'm sure they are both lovely people and all, but I would rather gouge your eyes out than read their comics. Not that I'm bitter, oh, no.
Shame about Manhunter and Spidergirl, both have been well received by me, at least.
And I hold out some pathetic hope that the LSH will return post crisis in a new/old form, but I am an eternal optimist.

The Hitman

Quote from: tommyboy on October 17, 2008, 01:03:34 PM
I am an eternal optimist.

And I am a pony on a pogo stick.

EDIT: Seriously, though, it's a shame that Manhunter and Spider- Girl are on the axe again. Spider- Girl was the only comic my sister collected, so sadly, she'll probably fade away from the comic world because of this.

And "Dark Avengers?" Bendis is just trying to play off of the success of X- Force. But honestly, I'd expect nothing less from him.

Previsionary

MMk, let's just put this out there. Spider-girl is said to still be around. She'll *probably* be added to Spider-man: Family. She just won't have a solo book anymore. So, we may still get our monthly May and MJ sightings...just with shorter stories and combined with BND + Classic stories...guh.

murs47

Dark Avengers? Seriously? I've never heard it mentioned til now. I'll more then likely give it a shot. I actually like a fair amount of Bendis' work.

Secret Warriors should be a good one.

Jakew

Manhunter is being cancelled AGAIN?

cmdrkoenig67

Doesn't the "Dark Avengers" group have Magneto too?  I could have sworn I read that somewhere. 

I also heard the group was an all-villain line-up opposing the Avengers or some such(sounds like a new Masters of Evil to me)?  I laughed when I heard Emma was a part of it...Maybe she's a villain again...YAY!

Dana :P

Podmark

The line-up of Dark Avengers has not been released, but there is some suspicion it could be a villain group.

Silver Shocker

I thought that was just Kirkman extracting urea from Bendis in that head to head they had.
I know I hate everything Bendis does as a tedious knee-jerk reaction, so obviously this particular floater bobbing about in the bowl that is the 'house of ideas' (and has that title ever been more bitterly ironic?) just gets on my nerves. A lot.
Claremont 15 years ago is Bendis today, the one-note wunderkind who is box-office gold, but neither emperor is wearing any clothes.
I cannot wait until Bendis is recognized as the formulaic hack he is, and is as ridiculed as Claremont is. I'm sure they are both lovely people and all, but I would rather gouge your eyes out than read their comics. Not that I'm bitter, oh, no.

I disagree. While I'm no fan of Bendis' 616 work I know from Ultimate Spider-Man, which I eally liked back when I was buying it, that he does write some good stuff. It just tends to be non-616. I also really liked Claremont's original run on X-Men, though he's definitely jumped the shark in recent years.

But to say both of them are talentless hacks is more than a bit harsh. As for Bendis being recognized as the formulaic hack that he is, I don't think it's going to happen anymore than it already has. There are already people who hate his work along with the people who enjoy it and buy it. Those people who enjoy his work, I don't think they're going to suddenly go away or change their minds.

tommyboy

Quote from: Silver Shocker on October 18, 2008, 12:27:33 AM

I disagree. While I'm no fan of Bendis' 616 work I know from Ultimate Spider-Man, which I eally liked back when I was buying it, that he does write some good stuff. It just tends to be non-616. I also really liked Claremont's original run on X-Men, though he's definitely jumped the shark in recent years.

But to say both of them are talentless hacks is more than a bit harsh. As for Bendis being recognized as the formulaic hack that he is, I don't think it's going to happen anymore than it already has. There are already people who hate his work along with the people who enjoy it and buy it. Those people who enjoy his work, I don't think they're going to suddenly go away or change their minds.

Yeah, which is what the Claremont fans said back when he was flavour of the month and his 'x' books outsold everything else . Now the man can barely get work.
Trust me, in ten, fifteen years time Bendis will be regarded the same way as Claremont, as a writer who did some genuinely engaging comics then got elevated and extended far beyond his talent. People are fickle, and legions of fans evaporate.
And I said Bendis was a 'formulaic hack', rather than a 'talentless hack'. It's right there in the quote you quoted. Don't put words in my mouth and then tell me I'm more than a bit harsh because of the thing you just made up that I never said, if you please. It's mildly irritating. It's still probably a bit harsh to say 'formulaic hack', but I stand by the assessment. Both men have some talent, rather than none, and I won't bore everyone by detailing each one's 'formula'.
Let's agree to disagree.
Once you've had a chance to respond, should you wish to, of course.

Silver Shocker

Alright, sorry. I didn't realize phrasing it differently would annoy you. It's just semantics, not something worth getting annoyed over. I just don't think Bendis is that bad. For me, it's as simple as not buying the books if I don't like them. I don't see the point in complaining because they're popular and the writer's doing well.

Jakew

I never thought Bendis was that great working within the constraints of the maintream Marvel universe.

For example, Alias (which was Marvel MAX) was great. It was one of the comics that got me reading Marvel again. Then the title moved to mainstream Marvel as The Pulse. Despite using the same roster of characters, it was terrible.

Podmark

Quote from: Jakew on October 18, 2008, 09:18:07 PM
I never thought Bendis was that great working within the constraints of the maintream Marvel universe.

For example, Alias (which was Marvel MAX) was great. It was one of the comics that got me reading Marvel again. Then the title moved to mainstream Marvel as The Pulse. Despite using the same roster of characters, it was terrible.

Yeah I kinda agree. I always thought Bendis was ill-suited to straight superhero writing, and probably stronger at more crime and character based stuff. Alot of Ultimate Spider-Man (which I've always liked but found too dragged on) was character work that I think worked to his strengths.

I have similar thoughts on Ed Brubaker whose Uncanny I find very disappointing.

Previsionary

soooooo, what was the original point of this thread again...and how did we get on the "discuss Bendis" train? If I didn't know any better...I would say this whole thing was orchestrated by some invisible hand.  <_<

Talavar

Got any other title cancellations you want to bemoan?

tommyboy

Quote from: Talavar on October 19, 2008, 11:14:32 AM
Got any other title cancellations you want to bemoan?

The Avengers? :P

Previsionary

*looks around* me? What, am I a walking encyclopedia?! Fine...an update:

LOSH is said to be coming back laterish. It's on hiatus until it can be retooled for the 500th time.

other than that...I've nothing. Let's start a campaign to end New Exiles? That's worth doing, right?

Talavar

Ending New Exiles deserves a massive campaign, with financial donations and celebrity endorsements.  We could get some of those little silicon bracelets made up, though I'm not sure what colours are left....

Podmark

Well New Exiles continues on but New Warriors is ending with #20. About time.

Previsionary

wait...it's ending? I can't find any news about it. Please don't tease me. :(

It's also said that Black Panther got canceled...according to the rumor mill. And going by the same rumor mill, these also got executed: Marvel Adventures Iron Man, Marvel Adventures Hulk, X-Men: First Class (miniseries again), Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane (same deal).

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on October 20, 2008, 12:12:17 PM
wait...it's ending? I can't find any news about it. Please don't tease me. :(

It's also said that Black Panther got canceled...according to the rumor mill. And going by the same rumor mill, these also got executed: Marvel Adventures Iron Man, Marvel Adventures Hulk, X-Men: First Class (miniseries again), Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane (same deal).

Marvel solicits on Newsarama.

Talavar

Black Panther too, huh?  That's too bad.

Podmark

Quote from: Talavar on October 21, 2008, 03:42:20 PM
Black Panther too, huh?  That's too bad.

Yeah but it's being rebooted with a new female black panther.   :rolleyes:

Spe-Dog

I thought it was a shame that they cancelled all the Spider-man titles and replaced them with the BND garbage.  Ah well... :banghead: