• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Novice scoper questions: Take 2

Started by daglob, October 19, 2008, 08:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

okay, I've changed th size of meshes a few percent; does anyone know what the limit is?

I want to do Tim Boo Ba (http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/timbooba.htm), and he is a neckless, heavy-legged, toad-like character about 14' tall. Now, I think I can add the horns and fins on his helmet, amd maybe fix his belt and hide is neck, but can you change the "weight" of the legs, or is that a problem best handled by 3DMax?

GogglesPizanno

You can try scaling the biped piece that the mesh is physiqued to. It wont work with all meshes, and the results can often times be unusual or funny...

daglob

Johnny Patches new Male Heavy meshes may have eliminated the problem. However, I have a couple of new ones:

I'm working on Xemnu the Titan, and when I put his steel beanie on, it lost its reflections. All the TGAs associated with the beanie are in the Standard folder. Is this a common problem with an easy fix?

I had screenshots of the Nifscope data, but they did not make it to my flash drive. If it would help. I'll post them later.

I enlarged Johnny Patches Male Heavy mesh  to 2X the original size. Now, in CTool, he looks good, a single piece (a pulse rifle; looks the size of a pistol in Nifscope when placed in the mesh's hand) I scoped in for reference seems to be the appropirate size so I guess he is twice as big. When he moves, he doesn't distort, but the piece I added seems to be stuck on a figure that is still the original size. I tried swapping the keyframes for one of the Male Heavy Giant meshes I have, but they do not seem to work that mesh. I want to make him Tim Boo Ba, and will need some horns, Giant Man's helmet, and a fin or two from a Tom Versatile mesh, and I might add some armbands and spikes. How do I go about scoping this stuff on if it wson't stay where i put it when the character moves?

JKCarrier

Quote from: daglob on October 27, 2008, 11:15:14 AM
I'm working on Xemnu the Titan, and when I put his steel beanie on, it lost its reflections. All the TGAs associated with the beanie are in the Standard folder. Is this a common problem with an easy fix?

Yes, this is fixable. What you want to do is find a piece on your mesh where the reflections are working. Select the "Ninode" and then look down at the "Block Details" window. At the bottom you'll see a line marked "Effects". Click on the plus sign, and you'll see another line marked "Effects" with a numerical value and the notation "NiTextureEffect". Make a note of the number.

Now click on the Ninode of your misbehaving beanie. The NiTextureEffects number is probably different. Double-click on it and type in the same number as the good piece you noted above. That should fix it up. (Disclaimer: It's been a while since I cracked open NifSkope, so I may be forgetting a step somewhere, but this should be essentially correct.  :unsure: )

QuoteI enlarged Johnny Patches Male Heavy mesh  to 2X the original size. Now, in CTool, he looks good, a single piece (a pulse rifle; looks the size of a pistol in Nifscope when placed in the mesh's hand) I scoped in for reference seems to be the appropirate size so I guess he is twice as big. When he moves, he doesn't distort, but the piece I added seems to be stuck on a figure that is still the original size.

When you enlarged the mesh, which Ninode did you actually alter? IIRC, enlarging the Scene Root will bring the entire mesh up proportionately, so you don't have stray bits remaining unenlarged. (Again, see disclaimer above)

Hope this helps!

GogglesPizanno

QuoteIIRC, enlarging the Scene Root will bring the entire mesh up proportionately, so you don't have stray bits remaining unenlarged.

Ive noticed that the game engine doesn't always like this method. Most of the time it seems to ignore the changes done with scaling on the Scene Root, so I often end up scaling all the meshes themselves.

daglob

Many thanks to you all-this gives me several possibilities for things to try (and several things to watch out for).

I'll get Tim Boo Ba and his Boo Ba Boys in the game yet!