• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Bumpmapped meshpack for FFV3r

Started by tommyboy, October 20, 2008, 05:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyboy

OK, so the latest version of NifSkope can add a bumpmap to any part of any mesh.
Some of you will remember this from way back when, it turned out much too shiny, and was quickly abandoned.
But by playing with various values, and the skins themselves I've gotten it to work a little better.
I'm uploading a Proof-of-concept pack featuring bumpmap enabled versions of my Cap_america_tf_bump, IM_mk21_tf_bump, and Thing_bumpy.
Pics just cannot do it justice, as you really need to see the effect in Ctool or in-game to appreciate that it's there at all, but here are some pics anyway:

Now, it's a long way from perfect, in several ways:
1. There is still shinyness. On any bumpmap enabled mesh, though this can be toned down. For Caps shirt and shield, or Iron Man's Armour, the shinyness is not such an issue. You may feel that the Thing should not be reflective at all. There may be no way around this. You have to have a slight reflect layer to get it to show the bumps.
2. The bumpmap for the standard skin tends to be used for all non-standard skins, even if they have their own bumpmaps. No way round this for now, that I know of..but I've only been playing with it today, so who knows.

On the plus side, ANY mesh can be bumpmapped, be it for FF or FFv3R, though I found I had to tweak the settings differently for each game. It takes about 30 seconds to do in nifskope, though a mesh like IM_MK21_tf with lots of separate bits takes longer. The quality of the bumpmaps is up to you. You can use Normalmapping, or just rename standard male_basic if you are pushed for time.
I'll post the nifskope settings I've used in the next few days, in a mini tutorial, but from what I've seen, there is much scope for experimentation, as there is with the normal maps themselves.

The pack of three bumpmap-enabled meshes can be found here:
http://tommyboymeshes.freedomforceforever.com/Marvel%20meshes%20B2.html

djfredski

man that look good Tommy.  :D
i will have to try that. :thumbup:

qazwsx

Interesting, so it is just like the rest of the maps, where blacked areas are ignored and brighter areas have a higher magnitude?