• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Skinning extras/hiding parts

Started by Outcast, October 29, 2008, 08:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outcast

The male_alpha_mesh for example has the male_alpha_extras.

These extras include a cape, horns?, and hand/feet accessories like claws.

By leaving parts of the tga file transparent, you could hide unwanted extras like the cape or horns.

I know i was able to do this for  :ffvstr:. But when i tried copying what i did for  :ff:,  it didn't seem to work anymore. The cape that i previously hid in  :ffvstr: was showing up on  :ff:.  :blink:

Any idea as to why and how i can hide those parts again for  :ff:.

One thing i noticed, those tga files that other's have skinned that hid parts had a smaller kb size that i had, but i think we had similar image sizes. :wacko:

Any help appreciated. Thanks. :)

AfghanAnt

Not sure how to do this in any other program but you use black to hide sections on the alpha layer in the channel nav.

daglob

To add to what Afghan Ant said, check the "channels" pallette, and there should be one at the bottom of the list called Alpha. anything in white on that layer will show, anything in black will not. If you put a shade of gray on it, they will be semi-transparent. Of you make it visible along with the regular image, it will show the same color as your quickmask (pink is the default color, I think). If you save them, they must be "saved as", and set to 32-bits in the whatever choice it is. They are a pain in the hiney, but can be worth it.

Outcast

Thank you very much guys!

Forgot to check in the channels section. I'll go try it when i get back. :thumbup:

Outcast

Hmmm. I don't get it. None of the skins that hides certain parts of the male alpha mesh have black channels or any alpha channels i can see in the channels section. Must have done something wrong. Now all the skins i have for the male alpha mesh are having problems hiding extras in  :ff:. :doh:  :banghead:

But when i check on them for  :ffvstr: , there's no problem. :blink:

These skins include: Captain Miracle by KennX,  Doc Savage by Gryphon, Dominic Destine by Gryphon, Hawk by Firestorm, Pyroman by Lightning Man and so on.

The readme included in the Doc Savage skin states "The 'extras' TGA file is blank, but must be included
for the skin to work! You will then be able to use the Doc Savage skin."

I wonder what the problem could be. :unsure:

laughing paradox

I wish I could help, but I don't have :ff: installed.

Maybe I should install it, at least for the Character Tool.

AfghanAnt

:ff: had issues with alphas and certain video cards. I never had the issue but there were a lot of people who did.

daglob

Quote from: Outcast on October 30, 2008, 07:42:06 AM
Hmmm. I don't get it. None of the skins that hides certain parts of the male alpha mesh have black channels or any alpha channels i can see in the channels section. Must have done something wrong. Now all the skins i have for the male alpha mesh are having problems hiding extras in  :ff:. :doh:  :banghead:

But when i check on them for  :ffvstr: , there's no problem. :blink:

These skins include: Captain Miracle by KennX,  Doc Savage by Gryphon, Dominic Destine by Gryphon, Hawk by Firestorm, Pyroman by Lightning Man and so on.

The readme included in the Doc Savage skin states "The 'extras' TGA file is blank, but must be included
for the skin to work! You will then be able to use the Doc Savage skin."

I wonder what the problem could be. :unsure:

The Doc Savage skin for Male Alpha has the entire extra's file hidden, since Doc doesn't wear a cape or have fins. Somewhere there is a Male Alpha Effects 2 that doesn't have a cape; that's the one I put that version of Doc on.