• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Gonna try skinning

Started by Micromax, October 30, 2008, 06:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micromax

So I wanna try Skinning.. what kinda of Programs do I need to make a skin  :huh: ?

Volsung

The gimp (which is a free software) or a trial version of photoshop,  patience and motivation^^
Drawing and sighting skills can help aswell^^

You'll have to master a bit the painting software of your choice before being able to freely skin as you'd like.
Hopefully software and skinning tutorials are legion around the internet.

edit: what do you got in mind? :) As a project I mean

laughing paradox

I have to tell you, it's not as hard and overwhelming as it originally seems to be... you just need a lot of patience to learn the ins and outs.

As Volsung said, you would need a graphics program like Photoshop (which I use and prefer) or Gimp.

The tutorial that worked best for me, as a beginner, was Gryphon's Tutorial on skinning:

http://www.fxforce.com/GRYPHON/tutorial1.html

It really goes over the basics of skinning and a really good approach to it. Try to skin a really basic design, so it'll make more sense to you. Most of the things he mentions in the tutorial are analogous to most graphics programs, so you shouldn't really get lost with his directions.

If you don't have the Character Tool installed for the game yet, do it now. It will be your new best friend, as you preview your skins in there, as opposed to starting the game..which takes forever.

And remember, have fun! Skin characters that you really want to skin..it will keep you skinning more.

pr1983

hi, umm...

this is a skinning related question, so:

i have photoshop, and i feel like i'm half decent enough, but i was wondering if there are any generic male/female skins that would be good to use so that i dont infringe on anyones copyright, but dont have to start completely from scratch...

vamp

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/FFBaseSkins1/

It has most of the base skins available, but I do believe there are a few more floating around.

pr1983