• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Day 4: Mothman

Started by AfghanAnt, October 31, 2008, 07:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volsung

:thumbup: The mooood! . The people want a moood!

laughing paradox

I'm curious, are all these characters based on urban legends or just original?

I like the design of this second character the most.

UnkoMan

I wouldn't say urban legend. They are based more on myth and folklore. Basically if you're one of those people who knows a thing or two about the occult then you should be able to spot the references.

Podmark

The Nite Skalker skin skates the line of generic in some spots but I really like how it turned out. It really pulls off the darkness and horror elements.

I'm not huge on the big ear things, seem a little too big, but it probably works for what you're going for.

Jakew

What's the significance of the "V" on the belt buckle?

Love the cape and mask.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Jakew on November 05, 2008, 03:42:16 PM
What's the significance of the "V" on the belt buckle.

It is funny you bring that up but his name was original going to be Vampire but we recently changed.

herodad1

what about a swirling mist/energy being called poltergeist?

Jakew

Coming from someone who doesn't skin ... I'd think about changing the V on the belt buckle. I love the V motif on the chest and head piece, but I think if you're going to have letters on the hero's buckle, it has to reflect the name or group.

Are those little blood vials on his belt? Great touch.

I'd like to see a humanoid sewer dwelling alligator-style character.

Lunarman

I like him very much, even though your colour scheme is close he still looks interesting and vibrant.

AfghanAnt

We actually have all the characters and the script planned out so no additional characters are going to be added or they would have to be worked into the story. Sorry, guys.  :cool:

Previsionary

story? What. Are. You. Talking. About?  :o

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on November 06, 2008, 07:24:59 AM
story? What. Are. You. Talking. About?  :o

There might be a mod if we can find someone to help code it...pretty please anyone...

Blkcasanova247

Night Stalker is pretty sweet! Good work guys. :D

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteI wouldn't say urban legend. They are based more on myth and folklore. Basically if you're one of those people who knows a thing or two about the occult then you should be able to spot the references.

Well, I do, or at least the names let me know what these are based on.  A pretty cool idea.

For the reference of those less familiar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_astronaut

Night Stalkers are harder to find information about, mostly because of tv shows and movies of the same name, but here's an interesting form thread on the subject.

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?t=37621

AfghanAnt

Breaking her race's code to remain secret; Lady Sasquatch comes from the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest to protect an increasingly unstable modern world.  With her brute strength and endurance, she has vowed to protect and guide those who exploit the Earth.

Blkcasanova247

Lunarman

Very nice work on skinning the fur. However the skoping looks a bit 'forced' on the chest hair. But I understand this is a limitation of the process.

Nice

BentonGrey

She was my least favorite of the designs you previewed, but the skin is, of course, excellent.  I really like the work on her face, and that red line right there is a really wonderful accent.  I LOVE the close up shot there where you can tell it is like warpaint.  The hairy wildwoman thing just doesn't work for me too well, but we'll just say that is because my imagination is limited. :D

I LOVE the Nitestalker skin, though, without qualification.  I especially like those little vials of "blood" at his belt.  He reminds me of the Confessor from Astro City, and that is a very good thing. (although, seeing as I'm working with that book, that is hardly surprising as it is always on my mind).

Jakew

I'm not really digging the torso for Lady Sasquatch ... I don't think the nude back half works.

Podmark

Yeah its a bit of a blah design - could be mesh restrictions playing her though. Skinning wise it's good. I like the red band across the face. I do like the idea though, I get kind of a Wonder Woman vibe from it.

AfghanAnt

Roaming the West Virginia countryside is the mysterious creature of legend known only as the Mothman. Silent seer, it has been forced to bare witness to disaster and human hardship, having no choice but to stand idly by while its terrible predictions occur. This newest vision, however, simply cannot come to pass.

Blkcasanova247

catwhowalksbyhimself

And for more information on the legends behind it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman

I figured that was unnecessary for the Sasquatch.

Using legends and stories like this for a supergroup is brilliant, by the way.

Champion 2 of 11

Vampire is a better name I'm diggin' this too!

UnkoMan

Oh neat. Lookit how we haven't updated in forever.

Well get used to it. We'll probably do a massive update later.

Gremlin

I like the massive update bit. Not the later bit, though.

AfghanAnt

Unko's done some amazing work and I really need to finish up a few more.