• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

VISTA

Started by cripp12, November 01, 2008, 06:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cripp12

I read a few threads where peopel are playing FF fine on VISTA but has anyone had any major problems with Vista.

AfghanAnt

Even though it has been getting a bad rep, I am quite fond of Vista. I think it is sleek and really interactive and yeah it is shamelessly stealing Apple ideas but I could care less.

Previsionary

a bad opening, market plan, and ignorance (mostly thanks to those apple commercials) is what gives the product a bad rep. I've had it for 6-7 months now and I haven't had any major problems whatsoever. In fact, it runs better than my XP SP2 pc and the changes they've added (from what I have actually noticed) have been fairly useful.

cripp12

WOW! your right those commercials are what scared me away.  what versions are you running.

Uncle Yuan

I have yet to get FFX and mods that use it to work with Vista - I have a thread in the Technical Questions forum in the FF section.  Aside from that, the basic FF/FFvTR games and everything else I do with it runs fine.  Oh, except for my Palm.  I have the 64-bit version and it is not yet compatible with the desktop software.

cripp12

is everyone else running 32-bit? home, business?

Previsionary

I'm running Vista Home Premium with the latest build/updates installed (32-bit). I guess your usage of it would pretty much determine whether you would like Vista or dislike it. ^^

As an aside...that you can actually see, "Hi, Cripp! Haven't seen you around in awhiles!"

AfghanAnt

I'm using the same setup as Prev.

cripp12

Quote from: Previsionary on November 01, 2008, 06:51:24 PM
I'm running Vista Home Premium with the latest build/updates installed. I guess your usage of it would pretty much determine whether you would like Vista or dislike it. ^^

As an aside...that you can actually see, "Hi, Cripp! Haven't seen you around in awhiles!"

Hi Prev. RL been busy but I still check up from time to time.
BTW what would I need to upgrade from XP.  Would the home premium let me do that.
I remember upgrading to to 98 long ago and I needed an upgrade version(I think)

BWPS

Vista boots up in two seconds! And I miss the Seinfeld commercials.

I'm a CS major and teachers and other students at school make mind-numbingly lame jokes about windows all the time. The only Mac I ever owned was a Power PC back in '95 for a few days that liked to freeze up and we returned it, so I don't know about that.  I hated on Vista at first because I thought it wouldn't run my old games. It ended up being one game that I happened to want to play was built in with some terrible copy protection. Everything else ran good. Its secure, it doesn't freeze up as much, it looks sexy. Of course Linux is more reliable, but it doesn't run as many programs which is what I need my computer to do. It uses a lot of memory, sure, but I run everything (including Third Reich) fine with one gigabyte as of right now.

Previsionary

my lappy came with vista, so I can't give you many tips there. IIRC, Microsoft made a tool that can tell you if you're ready to update and what precautions you need to make:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

might be what I'm thinking about. Maybe give that a twirl and see if it answers any questions?

cripp12

Quote from: Previsionary on November 01, 2008, 07:15:57 PM
my lappy came with vista, so I can't give you many tips there. IIRC, Microsoft made a tool that can tell you if you're ready to update and what precautions you need to make:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

might be what I'm thinking about. Maybe give that a twirl and see if it answers any questions?
it might of worked if I didn't have another problem.  I cant install sp2 so this program will not work.
I'll look around.

Podmark

I also have the same setup as Prev, and it's been fine. No significant issues. But it probably hogs more system resources.

Cardmaster

Being an Apple employee, I'm one of the biggest Apple devotees you'll find; however that doesn't make me a Windows hater. Being in IT and stuff like that I like to be fluent in both and, in fact, use both Macs and PCs on a daily basis depending on the scenario. I think of them like a screwdriver and a hammer; both are useful but for very different tasks, heh.
Anyhoo, I actually think Windows has done some admirable things with Vista. I think their new ad campaigns are silly, but I think they're making a pretty solid product.

Lunarman

Vista is very good. Full stop!

I've had no more problems with it than I would with an XP or a Mac, and many things it does better than either of those OSs. Wireless internet management for instance, and searching.

Protomorph

I have used Vista on a friend's compy, and am always, without exception, annoyed by the constant verifications and permissions needed to perform the most basic of tasks, like renaming/moving files. I mean, I'm logged in as Admin, aren't I? Just DO IT!

I haven't upgraded from XP yet, and currently see no reason why I ought to.

Previsionary

Quote from: Protomorph on November 02, 2008, 05:32:19 AM
I have used Vista on a friend's compy, and am always, without exception, annoyed by the constant verifications and permissions needed to perform the most basic of tasks, like renaming/moving files. I mean, I'm logged in as Admin, aren't I? Just DO IT!

UAC is constantly derided for being an extra form of protection...just turn it off, Proto. TURN IT OFF! *sobs heavily*

Thank you. *bows*

thalaw2

Doesn't matter much....Windows 7 is coming and MS promises to correct any problems with Vista by doing more testing in the user market.

cripp12

Quote from: Previsionary on November 02, 2008, 08:46:43 AM
Quote from: Protomorph on November 02, 2008, 05:32:19 AM

UAC is constantly derided for being an extra form of protection...just turn it off, Proto. TURN IT OFF! *sobs heavily*

Thank you. *bows*

Prev can you tell me how to turn that off?

Figure Fan

Macs are just trendy, is all.

Previsionary

Quote from: cripp12 on December 18, 2008, 10:56:11 AM
Prev can you tell me how to turn that off?

Assuming you have administrator privileges:

Quote1. Go to the control panel
2. Click on "User Accounts" (depending on your setup, you may have to do a few extra clicks or a search)
3. click on "turn UAC on or off"
4. on the following page, unclick: "use UAC to help protect your computer"
5. click ok

cmdrkoenig67

I guess the biggest problem with Vista would be for meshers (and beginner meshers). 

From my own experience and from what I've heard...3DS Max below 6 or 7 (?) will not work...If I'm recalling that correctly.  My own 3DS Max 4 and 5 won't work on my new computer.

Dana