• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Backwards Beam?

Started by UnkoMan, November 03, 2008, 11:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnkoMan

Is there any way to make a beam that goes... backwards? That is, one that starts at the target and ends at the projector? Or is that impossible?

I am thinking the latter, but if it is I would love to know about it. Thanks!

Previsionary

I'm 90% sure you can't do that. I'd need to look over some nifs just to be 100% sure, but the game has a pretty specific setup as far as that goes.

AfghanAnt

Couldn't you just change the direction of the nif with nifskope?

Previsionary

Doesn't really work that way. The beam would appear away from the originator and still expand forward. I don't think even reversing the animations would accomplish much because the beam system hasn't been fully figured out by anyone here yet and I never got anyone from IG to send out a beam max file. :P

emperous

AfghanAnt

UnkoMan

Yeah, I had assumed impossibility. It's alright though. Just a thought.

GogglesPizanno

QuoteYeah, I had assumed impossibility.

You know what happens when you assume...
You make Prev look like an arse...

*Runs away like the coward I am*

Conduit

What you describe, making a beam start at the target, would require reprogramming the game.  Since we don't have the source code, yes, that is impossible.

You could probably make a beam that flows backward.  It would move towards the target, but the beam texture would move back towards the projector, rather than towards the target.  That probably wouldn't be hard to make in NifSkope, assuming I understand how beam animation works.

Epimethee

It could be done through scripting, if the beam were set on a specific (and small enough) target; targeting the ground or a large building wouldn't work, because we can't get the hit position (an annoying limitation of the game engine).

Basically, you'd use an invisible beam attack on your target; once hit (currently supporting only successful state attacks, as my code for the other cases is in serious need of debugging), spawn an invisible character who'd launch a normal beam at the attacker.