• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Smallville 8

Started by thalaw2, November 04, 2008, 06:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thalaw2

Well I've been watching Season 8 and I gotta say that it ain't bad.  Im 8 episodes in and I'm still interested.  No sign of Doomsday so far.  In fact I enjoyed episode 8 very much.  Mad props to the writers and actors.

[spoiler]The Chloe as Brainniac storyline is interesting.  Kind of adds a LoS edge to the story by having a good humanoid Brainiac. The latest episode I saw was GA dressing up as Supes to protect CK's secret from JO.[/spoiler]

Anyone else watching?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Oh, yes, I'm liking this.  Superman's advent is approaching, especially as his existance is now publicly known, even if the costume thing was more or less accidental.  Plus we now have a budding Lois Lane romance, which is working out much better than the Lana Lang thing.  One thing you missed though.

[spoiler]
Considering that Chloe just murdered someone to protect Clark, I wouldn't call her a good Brainac exactly.
[/spoiler]

Also, Doomsday, HAS been mentioned.

[spoiler]In the serial killer episode, some of the witnesses described their attacker as being "spikey-looking" which as the killer in the episode was only a copycat and we know David is somehow the real killer, means he's transforming into Doomsday somehow.[/spoiler]

thanoson

[spoiler]I don't think she killed him. I think she overloaded his mind and turned it off is all.[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Sorry

[spoiler]His heart stops beating and the last thing you see is doctors and nurses rushing in to save him.  She killed him all right.[/spoiler]

thanoson

thalaw2

[spoiler]Something that was interesting to me is that Lois called CK when she was in trouble.  Why would she do that?  Hmmmm...[/spoiler]

captmorgan72

Has anyone else noticed that David is the "Force Unleashed" secret apprentice?

Podmark

Quote from: captmorgan72 on November 04, 2008, 04:31:27 PM
Has anyone else noticed that David is the "Force Unleashed" secret apprentice?

Just read about that today.

Been reasonably happy with this season. No Lana is a big plus, but I miss Lex.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I definitely like the Detective John Jones thing.  I'd rather he were a main character instead of GA.

Podmark

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 04, 2008, 08:56:13 PM
I definitely like the Detective John Jones thing.  I'd rather he were a main character instead of GA.

Yeah John Jones in the main cast would have been very cool. I wouldn't throw away Ollie though, but they do need to make better use of him.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I don't have a problem with Ollie, I just think Jones would fit in better with the show and would prove more useful, as he already has in his one appearance.

Regardless, it's still a cool move which also serves as a reference to the comics.

captmorgan72

I am really liking this season too, more than I did last season. My cousin told me this is the last season, is that true?

catwhowalksbyhimself

It had better be!  He's far close to become Superman for them to delay it any further, especially with the Legion of Superheroes appearing soon under Superman's orders.

By the way, the show is under new management, and it's been stated that they aren't holding to the the no flights, no tights rule, especially not the first part.

Podmark

This is not the last season...at least not yet. It is a common rumor though and will probably end up true.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, in this latest episode, they explain Doomsday's origin and ability, and it fits in pretty well with the comic book version.

[spoiler]
Created by Zod and his wife using various Kryptonian creatures' DNA, and like the comic book version, his main power is that when he dies, he resurrects immune to whatever killed him.
[/spoiler]

captmorgan72

I loved last night's episode and your right about them doing a great job with Doomsday's origin. Every time though I see Sam Witwer I keep thinking if only Lucas would have picked you to play Anakin.

thalaw2

Can't wait to see where they go with the Doomsday thing.  I like how they are stretching it out over several episodes instead of one crappy origin.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Man!  This was a pretty good one.  Sad, but good.

In a way, I kinda hate them abruptly removing Chloe from Clark's secret, but the way they did it, with Clark making a heroic choice, was well done I think.  Also it's good to see the Clark/Jor-El relationship becoming less antagonistic and more warm, as the two seem to have come to an understanding in this episode, with Clark finally calling him Father.

I hadn't thought of the Brainiac/Doomsday connect, but since both were created by Zor, it makes sense.  Brainiac-controlled fortress is interesting too.

Podmark

Yeah it was pretty good. Actually impressed with this season, it's played out pretty well so far without any of the annoying repetition and backtracking the show did all the time. There's a constant forward motion so far.

[spoiler]I think removing Chloe's memory of Clark's secret could be a huge mistake. That leaves only Ollie of the main cast for Clark to interact with about his powers and secrets, and Ollie is used very judiciously this year so it could hurt. The Chloe/Clark relationship has always been one of the strongest elements of the show IMO and I think taking her out of the know could really hurt.

But we'll see. I kinda wonder if it will stick. [/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, this latest development does place things closer to Superman at the beginning.

Podmark

Just want to say:

[spoiler]Doomsday looked awesome! (as much as we saw him)
Really impressed with this season, even Lana's return didn't bug me that much. Rumor has it the CW wants it back for another season. [/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Just saw it.  Well done.  I noticed this season finally seems to return to the supposed theme of the overall series of the development of Clark as a hero.  I don't want it to continue another season, though, unless they go ahead and turn it into a full Superman series.

Anyway, the way this season has worked out after the drastic behind the scene production changes, give me hope that changes in Heroes and Knight Rider could work out as well.

EDIT:  apparently, this was the mid-season finale.  There won't be another new one until January, but it's going to be the Legion of Superheroes episode, written by Geoff Johns, who is apparently very happy with the actors, the Legion villain who will apparently show up, and the Legion flight rings.

Podmark

Apparently the new creative team on the show is not holding to the old rules of no flying and no tights, so it's possible we might actually see Superman eventually.

And yeah I knew that had to be the mid-season finale. Totally felt like one and I confirmed it after. Very interested in how Geoff Johns episode will come out.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteApparently the new creative team on the show is not holding to the old rules of no flying and no tights

Well, they have stated that there's a very good chance he will fly by the end of the season.  Of course, with the legion, they may cheat and have him use a flight ring for that episode, but I have hopes that he actually will fly.

Also, Dr. Hamilton (Emil Hamilton, not the other one) will appear later in the season, as will Dan Turpin.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Forgive the double posting, but here's some new stuff.

A longer version of the trailer for "Legion."  The Persuader appears in it, and is the Legion villain that Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, and Lightning Lad will come back to fight.  We also see what might be Clark flying, although it also may be a super jump, and several more bits with Doomsday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-YdC5_MIA

House Quake

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 22, 2008, 12:57:44 PM
Forgive the double posting, but here's some new stuff.

A longer version of the trailer for "Legion."  The Persuader appears in it, and is the Legion villain that Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, and Lightning Lad will come back to fight.  We also see what might be Clark flying, although it also may be a super jump, and several more bits with Doomsday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-YdC5_MIA

Ehhh... except for the Legion and Persuader parts, most of it is simply cuts from previous episodes.   The 'fly' is the superleap he did a couple episodes back... ie leaping tall buildings in a single bound.  I think they may be going that route before actual flight unless as some one mentioned... he gets a Legion flight ring.

Still the season is turning out to be pretty good.

thalaw2

Did anyone catch the latest episode of Clover....I mean Smallville?

[spoiler]Doomsday looks decent so far.  I don't know what the costume would look like in good lighting but in the lighting they used they made him look good....just too short. 

What's up with that smile on Chloe's face at the end?  Is she in to men with large protruding bones?[/spoiler]

the_ultimate_evil

so any one got pics

honestly it amazes me it's still on the air and superman fans love it, if the changes that have been made here were being made for a film, there would be a mob baying for blood

danhagen

I have to say that while I have enjoyed episodes of Smallville and its development, I really don't consider it to be Superman. It has evolved too far away from that.

pr1983

Quote from: danhagen on December 04, 2008, 07:51:50 AM
I have to say that while I have enjoyed episodes of Smallville and its development, I really don't consider it to be Superman. It has evolved too far away from that.

got to agree... i watch it to see a doomsday on screen, but i don't look at tom welling and see the superman i read about in the comics...