• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

We see you looking...

Started by Vertex, November 06, 2008, 09:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Xenolith

That sounds wonderful.  Keyframes are the most important part of each character.  Thanks for tackling such an incredible project.

djfredski

:hamsterbot Hey Vertex, if your new keys are better than the Havok  fx key and the speed key, man they are awesome.:gauntlet:
i am still using them.
then i can wait to see the new keys. :popcorn2 

yell0w_lantern

Could I talk you into releasing those keys for the old male_basic, male_cape, et cetera?

Vertex

First you'd have to talk me into why those types of meshes should still even exist.....

yell0w_lantern

I still use your flashallen269 mesh and myriad other "mitten" meshes. I know a lot of other folks here use the old style meshes too.

First of all, there are some great skins for the old meshes that are not available for newer ones.

Second, there's a ton of old style meshes and they have a good degree of keyframe compatibility among them.

Third, for the resolution of the game, most characters don't need more than a mitten hand

Vertex

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on December 03, 2008, 01:36:47 PM
I still use your flashallen269 mesh

OMG you still use that dinosaur? There's a clinic, we can get you help man!!!

No honestly, what it boils down to is that it's taking a lot of time and effort to make these keys for my meshes (which I have to, since mine can't really use other people's keys) and I'm gonna have to do it for vxmale, vxfemale, vxheavy, vxhulking, vxfemale_short, etc.... variations. now on top of that I have to proceed out from that and set up keys for capes to work with all of these then set up new types of anims for particular mesh situations like weapons and a myriad of other things that come up with characters.
  I honestly don't like to animate. This is taking away from time when I could be doing what I actually want to do, which is make meshes. The sooner I'm done getting this animation sludge work done the sooner I'll be happy as a clam that I don't have to deal with the nightmare anymore. You then approach me to go back and take all these animations I had to do, to make my stuff functional and go through it all again (admittedly with less effort because it will be adjustment work for the diff hands) but more time away from what I actually want to do.
  Now, with all that said... where does that leave peeps who might actually want to use my anim sets on "standard" meshes? Honestly I don't think so highly of my animation that I believe you even need them. This does not mean however that a person such as yourself who presents such a question... shouldn't have an option. Now if you were me, and didn't wanna spend a bunch of time duplicating work you had to do, onto meshes you don't need to work on.. and somebody else who meshes expressed interest in that being done... what would you do? *hint hint*

P.S. Oh and on the reference to ingame resolution... let's face it dude most skins I see made... most meshes I make are NOT made for ingame. All this talk of smooth edges and creases and so on... ingame that amounts to almost nothing. That sort of detail work is made for the Ctool. If we only worried about what was good enough for ingame.. boy would the quality of skins and meshes be considerably lower. We make to look beautiful in Ctool and then playable ingame. At least I do and always have, it's a large part of why I have such high standards for quality and why so many skinners do as well.

Xenolith

vxheavy, vxhulking   :wub:

I am so excited by this project.  Not that I've skinned much, but what I have on my hard drive is all vx, so to have more vx options besides what ou have given us is pure joy for me.

AfghanAnt

Different face shapes and types.

Vertex

AA I remember you being so much more... articulate

I assume this is a request, (this is where I act all cheeky and tell ya this is mesh thread not request thread) but I actually hadn't thought of modeling different faces onto vxmale and muscular and so on. When I get to mesh making I'll have to consider that. Most wouldn't because changing the physical structure much requires remapping and possibly physique repair afterwards but that's never really scared me off. Not sure I would do that to all the variations though.

djfredski

keep on going Vertex :popcorn2 ;)

AfghanAnt

I thought I'd jump on the requesting things bandwagon.  :) But really it would be interesting to see different shapes of faces and even different noses for the vx but I completely understand how this could prove difficult.

Vertex

why do people make me think??? lol  :P

Even now me and someone else are discussing whether it's appropriate to convert the head to a modular concept.. where you would be able to swap heads casually at a whim.. thus modifying facial structure really wouldnt' be that big a deal to the mesh as a whole.....

drrr ignore the man behind the curtain... realized neck mapping was part of head mapping.. and didn't wanna seperate the neck at the torso but rather the base of the head at the neck... would be FAR less noticeable that way. Soooo think I might forget about this one.

Podmark

I would be very interested in alternate heads. Like a chubby Doc Ock kind of head, or a thin kind of Vulture head. It'd give some very interesting options when skinning.

daglob

Tommy's got assorted heads for his TV Female mesh, I believe. I've used one of them for varation (Hummingbird, maybe?).

If you did a VX Female with a slightly smaller chin, I've got this skin of a certain talented amature done on a VX mesh that I would love to release (but then I'd have to go and finish the top professional, and I haven't figured out how to do an umbrella yet). I also wouldn't mind if you added capes and skirts. A Vertex Versatile mesh?

Johnny patches has a couple of new Male Heavy meshes with different features. One of them has a bulldog jaw, they both have bigger noses.

... and you use old meshes because there is a lot of stuff out there for them. Also, some of them just fit certain characters. I did Captain Nice and Commander USA for Male Cape Clothes Baggy because no other mesh would have done them justice. I put George Reeves and Kirk Allyn Superman skins on Male Cape Nobelt, because VX Superman and Superman Ren just weren't appropriate.

yell0w_lantern

Hey! I love that dinosaur!

Part of the reason is the fantastic skin set I have for it but another part is I think the proportions look more heroic. The later versions seem less defined and more tubular.

laughing paradox

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on December 04, 2008, 09:50:38 AM
Hey! I love that dinosaur!

Part of the reason is the fantastic skin set I have for it but another part is I think the proportions look more heroic. The later versions seem less defined and more tubular.

I can't stop the phrase "totally tubular" from replaying in my mind now.

Johnny Patches

Vertex

djfredski

Podmark

I sense the approach of Booster Gold...

murs47

Quote from: Podmark on December 21, 2008, 08:57:36 PM
I sense the approach of Booster Gold...

and Blue Beetle...maybe.....I could be stretching my senses too far though.

It looks good Vert, looking forward to seeing them in action.

|