• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

skin making programmes?

Started by docwhofanman, November 08, 2008, 06:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

docwhofanman

simply question. what programme should i use to make skins?

laughing paradox

Any graphic manipulation program would suffice.

I would assume most people use Photoshop, but that could be costly.

I hear there is a free program called Gimp. Try looking that up.

Good luck.

ow_tiobe_sb

Since this has proven to be a perennial question (and since House Quake's excellent review thread went down with the OF ship), I hope some kind moderator might consider stickying this or adding it into Stumpy's F.A.Q.

The High End Software

Adobe Photoshop: The graphic industry's tool of choice.  This programme does it all: layers, customisable brushes, filters/plug-ins, channels/Alpha transparency, etc.  Photoshop CS4 currently costs $699, but you may be able to purchase it for less on eBay or at an academic price (if you are a student).

Corel Paint Shop Pro: The relatively inexpensive competitor to Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro has most (if not all) of the tools and capabilities of PS (especially for the limited purposes of skinning for FF) at a fraction of the price ($79.99, but actually $59.99 after $20.00 instant rebate).

Free Software

GIMP (The GNU Image Manipulation Programme): Absolutely free, GIMP works with layers/channels, has its own array of filters, and can save to TGA and DDS formats--everything you might need for skinning.  I've downloaded this programme myself, and I can assert that it is easy to learn and easy to use.

Paint.NET: Again, free with unlimited free, automatic updates, this programme uses layers/channels, plug-ins, and can save to TGA and DDS formats.  I have not played around with this application much, but it does seem to be less intuitive to use than GIMP.  'Tis worth taking it for a spin to see what you prefer.

There are other mid-level programmes out there, but these are the major applications (with all of the graphic tools you need to start skinning besides Character Tool from Irrational Games) that have demonstrated both popularity and staying power.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

docwhofanman