• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

tennis

Started by bearded, November 14, 2008, 07:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

if 2 players set their defense to redirect, and a low magnitude power with ball fx, could they volley the power back and forth and play tennis?
i was actually considering making a tennis player mesh, based on the new mckenrow commercial where he tags this guy with a tennis ball.  the hero could have an assortment of powered tennis jimmies to lob at bad guys.

Lunarman

hmm, good idea. But choosing the best reflection mode would be hard. Redirect just sends it off randomly, right? making it hard to get to the right place and send the attack back. Whereas reflect sends it right back to the attacker.

What you could do though, is make a character with a passive defense that reflects (or redirects if you want to play an offensive game). And a short duration active defense with redirect.

This would mean both players would have to move around in order to hit the ball as their passive defense redirects it all over the place. Then when they wanted to go for the final shot they'd use their active defence and suddenly start hitting the jimmies to their opponent, or close as least.

Nice!

Epimethee

Nice idea! I just tested it, though, and it appears that projectile redirections don't work more than once or twice; also, characters need to be fairlry close to each others. Most of the projectiles were simply bouncing off the initial target and falling to the ground (not an uninteresting effect per se). Mind you, it might be due to the specific settings of the power I used (4 x on impact, homing, chained; active defence was set to redirect rather than reflect.

laughing paradox

I tried doing this with a character (specifically Speedball), not a projectile, in the original :ff:. It doesn't seem to work well in the sequel, but I remember I had Speedball bouncing all over the map and knocking down buildings because he couldn't stop bouncing between them. Fun times...I gotta install the first one again.

bearded

wow, how do i set up speedball like that?

laughing paradox

I don't recall, because it's been a couple of years. I know he had hollow bones, though, and redirected crushing attacks. Or maybe deflect. If I can find my old hero file, I'll post it here. I may have it on a disk or something.

Epimethee

I just remembered that I had been working on a Bouncy attribute a while ago (before FFX 3.2) and simply forgot about it. :huh:

I don't think it's working correctly, but as it's still in the code, you can try it by adding the attribute to a character (assuming the first character without flight FX in Rumble Room) through the console:
addFFXAttrib('hero_0', 'ffqbouncy')