• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Music to Save the World By

Started by BentonGrey, December 04, 2008, 08:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

I suppose that this is as good a place for this as anywhere else.  I'm pretty close to being done with the actual structural work of the DCUG and I'm starting to think about a few of the aesthetic things I'd like to do before I release it.  I probably won't have the time to do most of them (although they could easily happen in the first expansion), but there is always a possibility.  I've got the comic covers pretty much selected, and I just need to format them, but I was thinking of another touch that would make the mod feel a bit more complete.  The different missions could really use some music.  I know that we've got a lot of members who are well versed in music and are passionate about it to a greater extent than I.  Matching music to theme and setting might be easier for many of you than I have found it in my idle moments, and I'd love to hear your suggestions!  I'll list the missions and context below for the JLA campaign, and it'd be great if anyone who is interested would suggest a soundtrack.  I've got two rules: No rap, and family friendly.  I'm a classic rock/alternative/symphony kind of guy myself, but I'm open to check out whatever you might think works.  I'd love songs that underline and enhance the themes of the different missions.

JLA:
Mission 1- Martian Manhunter awakens on Mars to discover that the ancient evil that had destroyed his world is free again after his century long vigil.  He has failed.  He must try and prevent their evil from engulfing another world.
Mission 2- Batman investigates unusual activity at a deep space monitoring facility, only to encounter even more bizarre creatures masquerading as scientists.
Mission 3- Superman must rescue Jimmy Olsen and Metropolis while dodging traps as the Martians attempt to hold them hostage to ensure his surrender.
Mission 4- Green Lantern encounters aliens on the Moon that prove hostile.  They are building a machine for unknown, but apparently nefarious purposes.
Mission 5- Flash attempts to rescue a scientist friend from kidnappers, only to discover that they are more than they appear.
Mission 6- Aquaman receives a strange telepathic message, and goes ashore to investigate it.  He discovers a U.S. military where it shouldn't be, and is attacked by something disguised as soldiers.
Mission 7- Batman, Martian Manhunter and Flash attempt to stealthily destroy the now openly invading aliens' communication system.
Mission 8- Superman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman defend Metropolis from all out attack.
Mission 9- The whole League invades the aliens citadels, finally confronting their enigmatic leader...and a figure from J'onn's past.

So...who's feeling musical?

BentonGrey

Of course, feel free to suggest for as many or few missions as you want.

The Phantom Eyebrow

Oooh, fun thread.  Here're some suggestions for you BG...

Mission 1- The Man Who Sold the World.  Preferably the Bowie original but the Nirvana cover would work too.  Might be a bit of a literal interpretation, but it sounds great, I don't think it'd be too intrusive a track, and there is a nice long fade out bit you could put on loop if needs be. 

Mission 2- Does Batman travel into deep space for this one?  "All across the universe" by the Beatles is good, but mightn't have the required oomph for a games.  "Space is Deep" by Hawkwind might also have pacing problems.  Another possiblilty is "Space Walk" by Lemon Jelly.  Nice and ambient stuff there.   

Mission 3- All I can think of here is "Rescue me" by Fontella Bass.  Perhaps it would only work if it was Lois being rescued though...

Mission 4- A moon mission eh, how about "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd?  Too obvious maybe?  "Rocket Man" by Elton John perhaps?  MAybe something from "Moon Safari" by Air?

Mission 5- This mission features Flash (ah aah) does it then?  There is only one choice, the eponymous song by Queen!  Seriously, I think it'd work!

Mission 6- Seeing as Aquaman is fighting fake soldiers, how about "War" by Edwin Starr?  "Urban Guerrilla" by Hawkwind might also work.  Or maybe not...

Mission 7- Struggling here.  How about "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft", that fits the theme, is good, but might again have pacing problems.  Given the sabotage theme, perhaps "Burning down the house", by Talking Heads?  Or, "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys!

Mission 8- Given the stellar line up, maybe "Dream Team" by Spearhead would work here?

Mission 9- This doesn't fit the theme so much but its a kick-arse tune and, as there's no lyrics, you could pick and choose where to start from.  Oh, its the cover version of the Bond theme "On her Majesty's Secret Service" by the Propellerheads

BentonGrey

Hey hey!  I'm glad you think so PE, and what a great, detailed response.  Thanks man!  What great suggestions!  I know most of those, but there are a couple I'll have to check out.  I really like the idea of "Sabotage" for the stealth mission, but it might be a bit too intrusive.  I'm definitely going to have to try it out, though.  Batman doesn't go into space for his mission, but that "Space is Deep" song sounds interesting, given the nature of the facility.