• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

which version of the avengers do you wanna play

Started by Mystik, December 14, 2008, 05:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which mod campaign would you rather play?

classic contemporary origin
10 (40%)
new avengers> civilwar>wwh>SI
9 (36%)
ultimates
3 (12%)
Avengers vol 3
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Mystik

ok, same question different team

just a note classic contemporary version would, pretty much be if mystik made an avengers movie

BentonGrey

Could you explain a bit what you mean by classic contemporary?  If it's a fairly classic lineup with characters who aren't shells of their former selves...I might be interested.  I don't have much interest in the other choices.

Mystik

uh classic contemporary, was the best way i could describe it , a modern retelling of the avengers similar to ultimates, but closer to stans interpretation.

the new avengers- would be an outline of the begining of NA to the end of SI (plz keep all hate replies about current Marvel elsewhere)

vol.3 - a completely original story with the vol.3 lineup

BentonGrey

Sorry Mystik, I don't mean to clog your thread with my distaste for current trends.  I was just trying to be clear.  Thanks for giving me a bit more detail.  A modern retelling in the spirit of Stan and Jack sounds like tons of fun!  That's what I've been wishing for the last couple 'a years.  I'd really love to see a new Avengers mod...I've been hip deep in DC so long, it would be fun to have some Marvel adventures!

Mystik

hmm the current polls are surprising, I was expecting ultimates to be the top dog and the new avengers to be at the bottom

BentonGrey

If classic Avengers win, here's hoping that Hercules shows up.  He was always one of my favorites!

Previsionary

don't be silly mystik. New Avengers is the book that brought that team back to the forefront and put the X-men in the backseat. Ultimates has a certain Loeb story + a current storyline to deal with.

Tis obvious the way the polls would swing! ^^

Podmark

The other knock about the Ultimates is that it's kinda been done. It's got the 2 animated movies and Marvel Ultimate Alliance uses those designs as it's primary design for those characters. That's why I didn't vote for it.

Classic contemporary was very interesting, but I thought it would be interesting to see the recent comics incarnation in action, so that's how I voted. I couldn't remember which volume was 3 to be honest, I think it's the Busiek era.

Mystik

well I voted for new avengers (but now i think i should not have voted at all because its so close)

and yes volume 3 is the busiek era- with justice and firestar on the league

BentonGrey

Hmm, I've read some of those issues.  They weren't bad, but I really never cared for Justice and Firestar.  It was the other Avengers that let me enjoy those stories.  Those are the ones that had Hank and Jan reconciling, right?  I really enjoyed seeing that shattered relationship restored.  (And yeah Mystik, you SHOULDN'T have voted, because now you're beating MY choice...and we all know that is what's most important!  ^_^)

Podmark

I loved Firestar and Justice on the Avengers. Two of my favorites. The Busiek era team was favorite. And I agree with Benton I like that Hank and Jan were reconciling. Wish it had ended up better.

Still I'd rather see the new Avengers in action than the volume 3 cast. New just has some different dynamics that haven't really made it into other mediums yet that I'd like to try out.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Podmark on December 16, 2008, 09:52:11 PM
I loved Firestar and Justice on the Avengers. Two of my favorites. The Busiek era team was favorite. And I agree with Benton I like that Hank and Jan were reconciling. Wish it had ended up better.

Still I'd rather see the new Avengers in action than the volume 3 cast. New just has some different dynamics that haven't really made it into other mediums yet that I'd like to try out.
(Emphasis mine.) 

The following doesn't have any real bearing on Mystik's thread, but replies to Podmark's sentiment.
[spoiler]Yeah, you and me BOTH Podmark...one of the reasons I lost my taste for the Avengers to begin with.  Ahh well, Stand and Jack don't fail me. :D[/spoiler]

I haven't read the New Avengers, what kind of dynamics are those?  That is, if Mystik doesn't mind that discussion in his thread.  I don't want to hijack it.

Podmark

Mostly what I meant is that it's a different set of of characters than are usually represented in the Avengers (ie Spider-Man, Wolverine, Sentry, Spider-Woman, Luke Cage), and a mostly street level team. There are aspects of the team that are different (more accepting of killing and an underground aspect after Civil War) but they wouldn't necessarily by representable in the FF game engine.

I should note that I'm not really a fan of the team, but if an Avengers mod were to be made I think it would be an interesting to play as something different than the traditional characters. It also has the added bonus of representing stuff I've seen recently in the comics like Civil War and Secret Invasion.

On the topic of Hank and Jan, I'm actually in an odd place about it all. I liked them reconciling and being back together, I was disappointed when they didn't get remarried but was still ok with it actually. It was stuff that came after that in Austen's and to a lesser extent Bendis's runs that I wasn't happy with. However, I've liked very recent stuff with Hank, and there was a certain general use of Hank and Jan throughout Bendis' tenure that I did like. Anyway that's as far as I'm taking that here. If you want to discuss further, we'll shift over to the comics forum.