• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

and the goths will rise and destroy hollywood, crow remake on the way

Started by the_ultimate_evil, December 15, 2008, 04:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_ultimate_evil

Stephen Norrington to Reinvent The Crow
Source:Variety
December 14, 2008

Stephen Norrington has signed on to write and direct a reinvention of The Crow, based on the comic created by James O'Barr, says Variety.

Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media is negotiating with producer Ed Pressman to acquire the film franchise and finance the film.

Pressman produced the 1994 Alex Proyas-directed adaptation, in which rock musician Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) is murdered trying to rescue his girlfriend from thugs, and returns from the dead one year later to exact vengeance.

For Norrington, The Crow deal marks the end of a long screen sabbatical. After making his breakthrough with Blade, Norrington took on a big-budget comic transfer with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Neither the director nor his star, Sean Connery, has made a feature film since.

"Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style," Norrington said.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7912

seriously what in the hell

ow_tiobe_sb

Hmm.  The only word passing through my mind is "Bugger!"

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

steamteck

Doesn't sound like a good plan but I liked The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen way more than the Crow so who knows. Seems a little soon to do a remake to me though.

GogglesPizanno

I liked the first crow movie (the second one sucked all kinds of suck), but I dont hold it as some kind of sacred cow. It seems definitely like the type of movie that would lend itself to a little reinterpretation with each new film. It doesn't even really have to be a remake, just call it a sequel and go in a new direction... the character lends itself to that nicely.

- It doesn't have years of comics beloved by the masses to contend with.
- Its not a character that is grounded on one particular persona (unless you count the Brandon Lee worshipers)
- They made a crappy TV show out of it and while there was lots of eye rolling, there was no massive protest about it

I would much prefer them to try some other property, as I'm getting sick of remakes, but if you are going to redo something, there are lots worse than this one.

BWPS

I liked the original a whole lot. The terrible acting of Little Girl didn't hurt it. A new one might not be a bad movie, they could make it more like the comic. This idea, however, this is not a good idea. This guy can't do it well. LXG wasn't a very good movie. And Blade was ok, but it was only ok because nobody cared about Blade.
Quote"Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style," Norrington said.
I'm completely opposed to this movie as of this quote. It doesn't even make sense. Gothic and stylized is how the book is, so it's like he's making a movie of a movie of a book, which reminds me of what they did with the Johnny Depp Willy Wonka. Return to some of the source material that was changed the first time, don't just change everything again. Documentary-style... stupidest thing anyone has ever said.

zuludelta

Huge fan of the original comic book and the film (as well as the original film's soundtrack and score), although I partially blame the property's popularity for the ubiquitousness of godawful "mall goth" fashion. That being said, I wouldn't mind a fresh re-interpretation of the core Crow concepts... the sequels failed largely because they couldn't recreate the atmosphere of the first film (not to mention that the writing got progressively worse), so the new director might as well try a different creative tack altogether.

Personally, I'd like it if they focused less on humanizing the Crow as an avenging, albeit largely innocent, undead lover because it tends to reduce the Crow character into a cheesy B-grade superhero wannabe in the hands of lesser writers... maybe turn it into something akin to a J-horror treatment of onryō, establish the Crow phenomenon as an almost-malevolent supernatural force for vengeance as viewed from the perspective of those it affects. I'm thinking something like Ju-on except with a leather-clad homicidal ghost serving as the focal point instead of a creepy undead housewife.

detourne_me

Quote from: zuludelta on December 17, 2008, 01:24:31 AMmaybe turn it into something akin to a J-horror treatment of onryō, establish the Crow phenomenon as an almost-malevolent supernatural force for vengeance as viewed from the perspective of those it affects. I'm thinking something like Ju-on except with a leather-clad homicidal ghost serving as the focal point instead of a creepy undead housewife.
Freakin GREAT Idea,  but instead of plain homocidal, make him very violent.
and instead of documentary style give the movie stylized "crow-vision" scenes...
a while back i was able to find a fanedit of the original,  its was cut down to around thirty minutes and monochrome,  it kind of resembled the comic a bit better.
I absolutely loved the soundtrack and score,  the soundtracks stands today as one of my favourite cd's.
and how could you not like The Crow 2?  it had iggy pop!

steamteck

Quote from: BWPS on December 16, 2008, 01:03:48 PM
I liked the original a whole lot. The terrible acting of Little Girl didn't hurt it. A new one might not be a bad movie, they could make it more like the comic. This idea, however, this is not a good idea. This guy can't do it well. LXG wasn't a very good movie. And Blade was ok, but it was only ok because nobody cared about Blade.
Quote"Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style," Norrington said.
I'm completely opposed to this movie as of this quote. It doesn't even make sense. Gothic and stylized is how the book is, so it's like he's making a movie of a movie of a book, which reminds me of what they did with the Johnny Depp Willy Wonka. Return to some of the source material that was changed the first time, don't just change everything again. Documentary-style... stupidest thing anyone has ever said.

Funny , different strokes for different folks, LXG and Blade are two of my favorite movies whereas "the Crow" was just ok to me.. Agree completely about Documentary-style though... stupidest thing anyone has ever said.

Mr. Hamrick

I'm on the fence about this.  I liked the first film for various reasons.  I liked graphic novel even more.   

If they take the approach of this being a "reboot" of a potential franchise then I think they are going to screw up. 

If they take the approach of trying to make this film more like the comic then they may have a winner on their hands.

As for the documentary stuff, I could see where certain elements of the style might work.  However, its a bit of a stretch.  I could go for hard-edged and "realistic".  How realistic are you going to get though when your main character is man come back from the dead.

As for the director, I'm surprised that he is still working on anything with a decent budget after LXG.

GogglesPizanno

OK, Im gonna say it....
LXG wasn't that bad...
Could it have been better? Absolutely.
Was it a blight on the face of Movies? Hardly.

thanoson

Big fan of the 1st 2 Blade movies. Mindless blood and gore. That always scores points with me. :thumbup: