• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Replaying the campaign...

Started by Gremlin, December 18, 2008, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gremlin

And I have absolutely no idea how to avoid the guards on the mission where you first meet Mentor. The buildings are too far apart to always jump across the roofs, and those confounded Traitors with Guns are awful fast, so they get to the guardhouses quickly.

Strategies?

JKCarrier

It's tough! What I usually did was destroy the guardhouses first by throwing cars at them from a distance. That way they can't sound the alarm.  :ph34r:

Panther_Gunn

I'm assuming you're following all of the hint pointers to start with.  Saving frequently is your friend.

[spoiler]If I remember right, go back to the guard house, via the tops of the buildings, that's in the middle right side of the map (by the smaller buildings & vehicles, out in the open).  Wait for the thugs near it to walk as far towards the middle of the  map as possible.  You should be able to get to the guardhouse before they do.  You can either overpower & try to quickly destroy the guard house, or try to beat them down as they come towards you (throwing things with good knockback works, so does a lightpole smackdown; also don't forget your attack with a higher knockback). 

From there, head North on the map (relative to how the map was originally orientated) towards the guardhouse in the top right corner, again, via the tops of the buildings (the open area should be free of thugs, but watch for the walker along the right side of the building).  There should only be one stationary thug by the guardhouse; wait for the walker to be as far as possible, drop down from the building & whack the lone thug (he should be facing away from you).  You should have plenty of time to take out the guardhouse before the other thug gets back.

The guardhouse on the top left of the map is difficult.  Try chucking the oil barrels from the middle of the map at it....you should be able to throw them from far enough away that the thugs can't see you.

The guardhouse on the bottom right should be approachable from the open area north of it, but stick to the side of the big building & behind objects for as long as possible.  A lightpole could be useful for a quick destruction, or an overpower.  Once it's destroyed, lure as many of the thugs back along that area to take them out.  Keep trying to lure the walkers in that direction, as well, until only the stationary ones are left by the one on the bottom left of the map.  Approach that one from the top of the building, and then behind it.  The guards are close, so work quickly.[/spoiler]

stumpy

I've used the techniques above (destroying the guard houses and timing the approach to each station until the guards are as far away from the guard house as possible before attacking) and I think they work pretty well. Also keep in mind that, in the first game, thrown objects do knockback, so you can keep the thugs off their feet with heay things and slow their progress to the guard houses.

When I first played the game, I failed that objective and played the mission a couple more times until I accomplished it. [spoiler]Then, I realized that you actually get more PP for the mission if you let the alarm be raised at each station and take the points for KOing the extra thugs!  :lol:[/spoiler]

GogglesPizanno

Yep, I pretty much agree with everyone else... It took me forever to do it.

And Man do I miss the thrown objects do knockback thing. So fun.

Tortuga

Here's Dr. Manbot's tips for Mission 2.

Mission 2: Strange Visitors

Last issue I helped you conquer Mission 1. It was tough but there was plenty of smashing. Here's your guide to beating Mission 2 and beating it good.

What you'll need to complete this mission:
DMB Mesh and skin; that mod thing I talked about last time; and a high tolerance for big headed aliens.

Spending Prestige:
-Before you start the mission be sure to use the prestige you earned playing Mission 1. I spent 500 prestige on getting Eve and Alchemiss to do some smooching. The remaining 150 was used as credit at the Adult Video Store. That's prestige well spent.

According to the narrator you've got two objectives: Find Sukhov and Don't Alarm any Guards. If you ask me, there's really only one objective: get through the damn mission to find the part of the game where I come in.

Handy Tips:
Guard towers: Do whatever you can to alert the guards. Let them know that the Doctor is in and he's ready to prescribe some pain.

Get to know your enemy: Spend a night as a thug and perhaps you'll understand them better. Would you want some big arse metallic monster to come and beat on you just because you're doing your job? You got a wife and kids! How else will you support them?!

Walkthrough:

1. These programmers love to make us heroes walk. Once again, the enemy is wayyyyy over at the other end of the stinkin' map. Make sure you got 50 bucks on you so you can rent a motel part way through the mission, you'll need a rest.

2. Walk right through those big ol' front gates. It's the shortest route. (see figure #2)

3. Watch out for the webcam ad that pops up and crashes the game. I'll personally hand out one gazillion prestige points to the person who can defeat it for good.

4. Lots of fun stuff to throw here. Remember from Mission 1, gather all of your throwables into piles. This time you get cans of exploding oil to toss around too!

5. Let the thugs get nice and close, you got armor you wimp so ride it out. Nothin' says PAR-TAY like 10 thugs gathered around when you unleash the Super Gas area attack with kickback maxxed. Good times, good times. (see figure #5)

6. So you made it to the end and then the Russkie starts talking...blah blah blah... I could handle this myself in my own way but Mentor shows up with his big arse head and mental powers. Take 'em out. Don't forget to clobber the thugs too.

7. Persistence is your reward. Now you can unlock the secret brothel by pressing L1, R2, X, X, L2, R1. If your keyboard don't have those options then I guess your screwed.

Dr. Manbot's Favorite Moment of the Game:
Don't worry about getting Mentor hurt at the end, he can't die cause the missions needs him at the end. So, take out all your frustrations on this alien freak by giving him the longest arse whuppin' he's ever seen.

So there's Mission 2. Play it, enjoy it. The game is pretty much downhill from here...I mean, after getting to beat up Mentor how could it possibly get any better?!

Find the walkthroughs for Missions 1 - 5 here.

The Phantom Eyebrow

I don't know how many times I've played this mission and I've NEVER got the secondary objective! 

Heh, perhaps I should try it as Dr Manbot... :lol: