• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Cone Sound Problem

Started by triviaman, December 21, 2008, 03:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triviaman

Did not know were to put this, here or in sound.

I have read that this proble has been solved but I can't seem to find the solution.

How do I add soundeffects to a cone fx?
I feel like I have tried everything but I must have looked something over.
Whatever I do there is never a sound effect accompanying custom cones.

electro

Are you making sure that the wave file your ussing is in MONO form & i would insert an cone_1 &_2 & _3 sound - forgot which one it actually plays on but mine are working & if you want sound for passive defense then your need to name it _4 like fx_sword_block_4 - Hope this helps :blink:

triviaman

sadly no.
I checked and the wave are mono. I then put 3 stages of fx sound but no go.  :(

Previsionary

Firstly, cones only have two nifs so they can only play two stages of sound if I'm not mistaken. Secondly, you'll have to give details. Where did you install the files, how did you setup ffedit, what fx, etc.

triviaman

ok here we go..

I wanted to do my own version of the canary cry.
I like how fortissimo's cone looks so I copied that folder.
I renamed the folder canary_cry_cone and removed the start.nif because I don't like the way it looks.
I placed the folder in the generic golder and entered ffedit.
I copied fortissimo_deadly_chorus and renamed it canary_cry_cone and redirected it to it's core.nif.
In sound, I copied fx_entropy_null_shadows_2 and renamed it fx_canary_cry_cone_2.
This did not work, then I followed electro's advice and made a fx_canary_cry_cone_1, fx_canary_cry_cone_2, fx_canary_cry_cone_3
just to be sure... No go.

Advice?

Previsionary

That's not really how it works. A cone fx can function with just one nif (IE: the core) with no problem. The sound will play for just one nif with no problem. Those things are quite independent.

Your sound problem may be because the directories in ffedit are either truncated or aren't pointing to the correct place (you didn't describe "where" you installed these files though it wouldn't really matter if these are built-in sounds). It's hard to say without toying with it myself as doing what you described worked fine for me.

Previsionary

Yessir. I just tested it with the flame cone fx (by Conduit) before I posted. That and I was pretty sure there's quite a few projectiles, melees, beams, and areas that neglect a nif or two and some were made by IG themselves (IE: neon_bolt is a beam attack but neglects the start.nif).

triviaman

The fx plays fine, comes just as it's supposed to.
tried to us a custom fx sound. Un-ziped sounds.ff to got Blackbird sound bb_IceShriek_fire1.wav.
put it in C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Sounds\Powers.
then went into ffedit. looked at sound path in general tab. it said C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Sounds, so I changed it to C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Sounds\Powers.
edited the sound in SOUND tab.
Entered game..... still no go...

Previsionary

Quote from: triviaman on December 22, 2008, 12:30:03 PM
it said C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Sounds, so I changed it to C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data\Sounds\Powers.

that shouldn't have been changed as you just messed up the other working sounds. When I was talking about pointing to the wrong path or being truncated, I was speaking specifically about the entry in the sounds tab.