Majel Barrett 2/23/32 - 12/18/08

Started by Uncle Yuan, December 23, 2008, 01:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Yuan

I just saw this today, but Majel Barrett - aka Nurse Chapel, aka Lwaxana Troi, aka "computer voice", aka Mrs. Gene Roddenberry, aka . . . died on Dec 18, 2008.

(Thanks also the ThaLaw2 who started a thread just before the archive - it deserved to be restarted!)
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Zivon23

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on December 23, 2008, 01:24:52 AM
I just saw this today, but Majel Barrett - aka Nurse Chapel, aka Lwaxana Troi, aka "computer voice", aka Mrs. Gene Roddenberry, aka . . . died on Dec 18, 2008.

(Thanks also the ThaLaw2 who started a thread just before the archive - it deserved to be restarted!)

Wow...that sucks!

Scifi just took a serious hit in my opinion.

I mourn.  Both for her and for entertainment. :thumbdown:

~Z23~

GhostMachine

She will be the voice of the computer in the new movie. But its going to be awfully strange hearing a new voice if they ever do another Trek series.

John Byrne is doing a new Trek mini-series from IDW called The Crew that's a prequel to the original series featuring Number One as one of the characters (its pre-Pike, too, if I remember right), and he's announced on his forum that he will be dedicating the mini-series to her posthumously.

R.I.P.

cmdrkoenig67

I adored her Lwaxana Troi character.  She will be missed.

Dana

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on December 24, 2008, 04:34:08 AM
I adored her Lwaxana Troi character.  She will be missed.

Dana

Agreed.  Probably one of my favorite character driven episodes of any of the shows is the DS9 where she and Odo get trapped in the turbolift.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Glitch Girl

Good heavens, I completely missed this.

My first two computers were named "Majel" and "Majel 2" because of her connection with Start Trek and Star Trek:TNG.  Very sorry to hear of her passing.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

The Hitman

How did I miss this?! (Repeatedly?!)

Bummer. She will be missed.