News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Nifskope Permission List and Rules

Started by Podmark, December 23, 2008, 06:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Meshers listed here have given permission for users to skope their existing meshes and to distribute said skopes to online users.

Rules

• Please ensure that when releasing a skope to the community you include a text file listing all meshers whose work you have used in your skope. This includes keyframe skopes.

• Also the naming convention of released skopes is preferred as "characterName_skope". Please refrain from adding individual mesher's signature naming conventions such as 'Ren', 'VX', '69', 'tv' etc.

Permission Given:
Tommyboy - rules amended see below.
Ink
Renegade
Vertex/Bobby 69
Beyonder (except Doc Ock and winged meshes)
UnfluffyBunny/Syn
Tomato/Antmananext (blender permissions given on new basic meshes) - Permission denied to cranlok
Bearded
Valandar (exceptions Voltron, Vighna Ghina, and GP-01 Gundam)
Grenadier
Gni
Texas Jack
yell0w_lantern
Jik
Wingzero2525
Interceptor
Volsung
DravenXII
Shevek
Lord Ehmsidy
Saracen/Crusader
IPS keyframes
J-078/jnman078
vorelliwiseau
Randomdays (Please mention where the original parts came from)
SickAlice
3dmaster
Bamphalas - Skeleton mesh

Special
ow_tiobe_sb (check readme for permission)
IPS (by request only, keyframes are ok to skope)

Denied
Fusion (no personal use preview pics either)
X-Dud
Webrider (as he is no longer with us we will be respecting his inability to express a decision)

Tommyboy's amended rules:
Quote1. You may use my existing body of work to create original 'skopes PROVIDED that said 'skopes are not labeled as some other mesher's creation.

2. You may NOT take the parts I have made that define a character and just plonk them down on someone else's mesh to create the same character I have already made. IF there are sufficient additions/changes/recombinations made to justify it as a new version that is SUBSTANTIALLY different from the version I have already made, then fine. (Johnny's Doc Doom works as an original skope, But fails the Naming Convention rule. Call it 'Dr.Doom_skope' or 'Dr.Doom_fingers' even, just not 'VX_Dr_Doom'). Just adding or removing a buckle, for instance, does not justify a new 'skope, as far as I'm concerned. I'm willing to discuss this with some leeway if people contact me, but if you can't be bothered to do that, assume that my answer is 'No, you may not skope the Pied Piper, or whoever, changing one or two parts'.

3. If you want to 'skope a version of something I've made onto a mesh with fingers but for whatever reason feel my fingered meshes aren't suitable, DO NOT label the resultant 'skope with someone else's name.

4. I like Nifskoping, really I do. Some wonderful, creative, brilliant stuff has been done, and is being done with it. My permission remains to use my meshes, within the terms set out above. 90-95% of the stuff in this thread I have no issues with. 90-95% of the 'skopes using my work I have no issues with. If anyone is unsure about using my stuff, PM me and ask, preferably with a picture of the end result. I'll crosspost some of this in the 'nifskope permissions' thread to reflect my changed 'rules'.

5. Should people feel unable or unwilling to abide by my wishes, I'll simply stop releasing meshes, and remove my work from my site, anyone else's sites, and close all my Yahoo groups. Not a threat or an ultimatum, just a statement of fact. You'll still have whatever has already been downloaded to play with, but nothing new will be added.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Podmark

Could a mod please make this a sticky again.

Also IPS I need to know whether all your released work is just keyframes or also models works as well. I don't recall.

Thanks.

[MOD EDIT]Topic Stickied per request.[/MOD EDIT]
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Podmark

I'm requesting that any meshers out there please give me a yay or nay on blender editing of their work.
Blender editing:
http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=51508.0

Until you have permission please refrain from releasing meshes that have been edited in blender.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Cyber Burn

Just to avoid any problems down the road, is there a set policy on using skins from the meshes that you're skoping from as "Standards"?

Podmark

I think it depends on the skinner. Sometimes the read me will help.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Cyber Burn

Yeah, that's what I thought, as generous as others have been, I just don't feel right bugging our skinners over and over.

Cyber Burn

I'm hoping that it's alright to post this here, but if not, hopefully a Mod will put this in the right spot.

I have a permission question in regards to Nifskope.

There is a mesh called "Silver_Scarab1_Uni" located here: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/uni_meshes/

It came as a part of a 2 Pack called (SilverScarab_2_Pack). My first problem is that I don't know if it's an actual mesh or a skope. In the "Read_Me" file, the creator (Univox) gives "Special thanks to Ren & Tommyboy". So I don't know if they assisted him in meshing the character, or if he used parts that they made for his creation. Either way, my second problem is that I'd really like to use parts of this mesh/skope for a skope that I am doing, and I don't know if I can use pieces from this skope/mesh.

Since the "Read_Me" file doesn't clearly state if this is a skope or a mesh, I'm not sure whether or not I can use the pieces I want for my skope. The creator of this skope/mesh (Univox) is not on the Nifskope permissions list, and has not been active since 2005, so I can't really ask his permission. However, in the "Read_Me" file, it states "This mesh is now yours to use, alter or share as you like."

So for clarification, what I'm asking is, even though Univox isn't on the actual Nifskope permissions list, he does give permission via his "Read_Me" file. So I'm kind of at a loss here and was hoping that maybe a Mod would/could step in and let me know if it's alright to use pieces of Univox's creation for my skope.

I'm sorry for the long read, and I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. I just want to make sure that I follow the rules of the forums.

Tomato

I would say send him a PM (email might be better tho) regardless just to cover yourself, but the addition of the term "alter" would imply that he's given permission.  If he doesn't like you skoping his work, you can always remove it later on.

Cyber Burn

Thanks 'Mato, I'll try to contact him and see what he says.

Edit: There's no active e-mail account for him, but I sent him a message at his Yahoo Group, and I sent him a PM. So I guess now we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Tomato

I just realized I never posted this... I emailed J-078/jnman078 about the nifskope permission list back when I was in the middle of working on the at4w rangers stuff, and he's fine with it. Quoting my email and his reply in spoilers.

Spoiler
Quote from: TomatoI kind of feel like a moron for not asking you this earlier, but are you ok with your Power Rangers meshes being skoped? Your username isn't on the nifskope permission list, and I want to make sure you're ok with your work being altered.

Quote from: jnman078Absolutely.

Sorry for not responding sooner.

jnman078

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Cyber Burn on September 13, 2013, 01:29:08 AM
Thanks 'Mato, I'll try to contact him and see what he says.

Edit: There's no active e-mail account for him, but I sent him a message at his Yahoo Group, and I sent him a PM. So I guess now we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Seeing as how it's been nearly a month without receiving any sort of response, I'm just going to err on the side of caution and assume that "Nifskope" permission is not implied. Nifskope was around before I joined the community, so I don't know if it was around when Univox was active or not. I don't really want to assume that permission has been implied if it actually hasn't, so in this case, I think I'll just re-do my skopes. It's a bummer, but better safe than sorry.

vorelliwiseau

Hi, Cyber tipped me off to this, so I just popped in to give full permission to modify, edit, and otherwise change any and or all elements of my projects!
[That includes permissions for Nifskope, Blender, 3DSMax, Photoshop, GIMP, and any other editing software you'd need to use.]

As far as I'm concerned, it's all permission-ready: no need to PM me to ask for it. If you're nice, maybe you could message me to let me know if my work makes a cameo in your project or something (so I can download it and check it out!), but who's got time for that? Just give me a shout-out in your ReadMe file and we're square.

Bottom line? Go wild and have fun!

Randomdays

I wasn't going to add myself here ,but someone PM'd me about using parts from some of the imports I've added. Since almost everything I've uploaded is from other games and sites and I've mainly just rigged them to work with FF, I would say anyone has my permission at least to skope or skin away as long as they mention where the original content came from.

SickAlice

I'm cool. Don't make money it. Credit any original authors and leave the text files please. Else anything within reason is fair game.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Quote from: Tomato on March 15, 2018, 04:58:45 AM
So I've been contacted by a relatively new member, cranlox, who has been PMing me about how people posting things to the internet means that those people should EXPECT people to take it and modify it and repost it. It's a conversation that has quickly made me frustrated, angry, and exasperated.

Here's the thing: The reason I made an exception for my stuff was because I learned skinning by kittbashing, and I didn't want anyone to feel like the big bad Tomato was going to come after them for using my stuff, NOT so I could receive rants in my PM box about how everyone should be ok with blatant theft because they dared to post stuff on the internet. As such, cranlox is NOT allowed to touch my content now or going forward, and while I doubt he'd have a reason to do so, I would appreciate it if anyone would report any attempts by him to use any of my content. This goes for my models as well, and I will be posting this exception in the skope thread shortly.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if new members want to ask me questions about the kittbashing list... this isn't the first time, and I still check in every so often to answer those questions. The reason I'm calling out cranlox is because throughout his interaction with me he was disparaging to and dismissive of creators who asked to be excluded from this list... and while I could care less about defending my own work, I will defend members and friends here like TUE until my keyboard is ripped from my cold, rotting hands.

Posted that in the kittbashing permissions thread a bit ago. As I mentioned above, cranlok has earned himself a special exemption from the blanket permissions I give to everyone else on the boards. As such, if anyone sees him using any of my content, please report them to me directly.

SickAlice

Trying to recall this, it's been awhile for me but Beyonder's says no to Dock Ock and winged, I knew Ock because I've been trying to cobble up something of my own here. Else what about Scorpion? I swore he said no to that one too but just to be sure before I start working on a tail attack type nif from scratch.

Tomato

So this took a bit of tracking down, but I sourced Beyonder's permission back to a Podmark post from the FR archives, where Podmark had PMed a handful of meshers and gotten their permission. Pod might be able to give a more exact quote, but even back then Beyonder only denied permission to Winged meshes and his Doc Ock. Unless someone can find a source that says otherwise, I think using Scorpion is fine.

Podmark

Quote from: Tomato on June 21, 2020, 07:34:46 PM
So this took a bit of tracking down, but I sourced Beyonder's permission back to a Podmark post from the FR archives, where Podmark had PMed a handful of meshers and gotten their permission. Pod might be able to give a more exact quote, but even back then Beyonder only denied permission to Winged meshes and his Doc Ock. Unless someone can find a source that says otherwise, I think using Scorpion is fine.

That is correct. Here is specifically what he replied in PM:
Yeah I'm ok with it :cool:.  I've been following Nifskope for quite some time so I'm aware of it.  I honestly have mixed feelings about it but I want everyone to have fun with what I've created as long as it stays in the community.  The few things I guess I would be upset about would be to see the Doc Ock mesh/animations transfered to something else.  Basically anything I've created totally from scratch and the winged meshes I'm still somewhat attached to them :).  Always feel free to ask about transfering something from any of those though as I may change my mind in the future on some meshes, objects or animations.

From what he said if you did want to use the Ock or the wing meshes he would probably be open to listen. So if you can get in contact with him you can always ask.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

SickAlice

Awesome. That's a lot of work off my own load to be able to use that one then. Doing MOTU and need that for Whiplash.