News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Modding Other Games

Started by UnkoMan, December 23, 2008, 06:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnkoMan

I had just started this thread, so I guess I will put it back up... The original post is as follows.

QuoteHello folks. I was just curious to see if anybody else modded games other than FF? I know tommyboy does a ton of MUA stuff. I'd assume some people have done some CoX stuff, at least to get their costumes looking more like how they picture them.

I don't really know too much about modding for other games. Which ones are hard, which ones are easy. I did have a couple skins back when I had GTA: Vice City, but they weren't too big a deal and so I never really used them.

I was wondering though, does anybody know if the original Spider-Man movie game can be modded? Because I own it, and I was thinking that a game where my character The Corpse could actually stick to walls would be cool. I doubt you can really change the levels and stuff on that though...

Anyhow, yeah. What games do other people mod, and what do you know about it? That's what this topic is for.

Then Cat said
QuoteDone a bit with Galactic Civilizations II.  It's actually easier to mod in a lot of ways, and far, far faster.  Unfortunately the animated head artist whose work I was using dissappeared 2 short of the number of leaderheads I needed, which is a shame.  Still, I'll finish that mod eventually, I'll just have to make do with something else.

I also did some work with T.o.M.E. and created a very early alpha of a Narnia mod a long time ago, but never got that far with it, although I did have some unique stuff working.

Then Lug said
QuoteI just started with fallout 3 since I love the tools, the gaming universe and the things you can do in that setting. Here is what I have made so far:

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1995

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1447

And that was that. Who else mentions things?

steamteck

Morrowind  and Oblivion are extremely mod friendly. You add tons of stuff and it layera by date so you can run dozens of separate mods by different people as you play. Thy can vastly change appearance and gameplay as well as add new environments and adventures into the game world or even create little "pocket worlds" for your adventures.  Both have very powerful constructiion sets which are offered by the game company ,Bethesda ,free of charge.
I've made tons of little tweaks for my own personal use to change the games to my personal preferences and made slightly different versions for my wife.

bearded

older game, i've mentioned before, age of wonders shadow magic.  i've done a mod that includes every fantasy character i can think of, from king arthur to zena.

detourne_me

i used to do machinima on empire earth... its actually what led me to freedom force nearly 6 years ago !!

UnkoMan

Quote from: steamteck on December 26, 2008, 11:39:22 PM
Morrowind  and Oblivion are extremely mod friendly. You add tons of stuff and it layera by date so you can run dozens of separate mods by different people as you play. Thy can vastly change appearance and gameplay as well as add new environments and adventures into the game world or even create little "pocket worlds" for your adventures.  Both have very powerful constructiion sets which are offered by the game company ,Bethesda ,free of charge.
I've made tons of little tweaks for my own personal use to change the games to my personal preferences and made slightly different versions for my wife.

Oh really? These are first person games, correct? How drastically can you change it? Could you make, for example, a game where you are a stranded vacationist who, using perhaps a crowbar and small arms, must make his or her way through a sleepy little town infested with creatures from beyond the veil? As a hypothetical example of course.

Also, do these, or indeed any other, games include the wealth of resources via meshes/fx/etc that FF does or would you end up making a lot of stuff from scratch?

The Hitman

I've recently started modding Black & White 2. It's not as hard to do as I thought.

steamteck

Quote from: UnkoMan on December 28, 2008, 05:34:58 PM
Quote from: steamteck on December 26, 2008, 11:39:22 PM

Oh really? These are first person games, correct? How drastically can you change it? Could you make, for example, a game where you are a stranded vacationist who, using perhaps a crowbar and small arms, must make his or her way through a sleepy little town infested with creatures from beyond the veil? As a hypothetical example of course.

Also, do these, or indeed any other, games include the wealth of resources via meshes/fx/etc that FF does or would you end up making a lot of stuff from scratch?

They can be played 1st or 3rd and switched back and forth on the fly in game. There is an enormous community and users have made up whole new worlds. There are over  2000 mods for download at  http://www.tesnexus.com/   Most are small tweaks but some are quite extensive. One of the things I've done is tweaked the NPCs AI to make them smarter. One team is working on Dune ,complete with sandworms but with a fantasy bend.

freegentile

From "Cat":

"I also did some work with T.o.M.E. and created a very early alpha of a Narnia mod a long time ago, but never got that far with it, although I did have some unique stuff working."

Hey guys...concerning "Cat", do you all know if he/she still has any of the Narnian character meshes available? I'd be interested in seeing that alpha work he/she helped with on that Narnia mod. Thank you!

Reepicheep

I used to do scripting for a few mod teams in Oblivion. But I'm waiting for Skyrim to come out before I get back on the scene.

bearded

Quote from: freegentile on January 24, 2011, 03:33:29 PM
From "Cat":

"I also did some work with T.o.M.E. and created a very early alpha of a Narnia mod a long time ago, but never got that far with it, although I did have some unique stuff working."

Hey guys...concerning "Cat", do you all know if he/she still has any of the Narnian character meshes available? I'd be interested in seeing that alpha work he/she helped with on that Narnia mod. Thank you!

i happen to have some of the tome meshes, here is the main character for his narnia mod:
@

seriously, i've modded for it before also, and it is an all text game. the character you play is "@"! hah! it is a fun game tho, i highly recommend it.

Randomdays

Since its an old thread I'll bring up some old ,OLD, OLD games, showing my age.

All the text adventure construction kits to make Infocom style games.

Adventure Construction Set - lets you make your own Ultima 3 style games

Wargame Construction set - Makes old fashioned Avalon Hill type wargames

All the RPG makers from the late 90's on that let you make Final Fantasy like games

Used to work a lot with Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. It was an editor that let you design your own D&D adventures with the SSI Gold Box Engines. Tons of resources, and players hacked at it to make all sorts of other types of games. You had 4 overland maps and up to 36 levels of semi-3d for indoor/ outdoor levels with a party up to 6. Even though early 90's still pretty active and easy to mod/create for.

Bard's Tale Construction set. Same as above but for Bard's Tale.

Doom 1-2, Duke 3D, Heretic and Hexen - Huge when it came out, tons of levels for these. Was easy to work with and make TCs - one of the best was a TC for Aliens

Neverwinter 1 and 2 - still working with these - surprised no one mentioned these as they are still big - NeverWinter vault is still active.

MS Flight Sim - for me the 2004 version. Still working on it for machinanima with other projects

The Movies - after you get done playing the sim part of it, its designed from the ground up for machinanima. Still working with it

Back in the 80's a lot of games came with editors to make your own levels. The idea was that the more a player could do with a game, the longer it would be played. I think times have changed though, and games like FF and Neverwinter are going to get rarer and rarer. The promo page for the new NWN makes it looks like they just invented the wheel, but its looks to me like a more limited online version than what the old ones were.

I've basically given up on new games after what EA did to Spore, and more and more games requiring internet access to play even single player mode. For those of you not aware, this really screws the military - its hard to get a connection when you're in a sub or out to sea, or at a base in the middle of nowhere.

I'm wondering how Skyrim will be since its steam activated.

Sorry for the inor rant there.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I've recently created a mod called MoRE for ToME 4.  It just ads new stuff.  Mostly I'm compiling a bunch of different people's work together, although I've made some stuff for it myself.

You can get it at the game's main website.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.