Who Watches the Watchmen? (New Movie Thread)

Started by Figure Fan, December 23, 2008, 07:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figure Fan

I thought I'd start a new thread for the film. If anyone wants to link to the video diaries and any other content that's been released, feel free. I'll try and compile some stuff as well.

Uncle Yuan

I thought about getting the GN for my 15 year old for Christmas.  Then I paged through it again and decided, um, maybe next year . . . (Dr. Manhattan is naked!!!)
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Figure Fan

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on December 24, 2008, 01:56:38 AM
I thought about getting the GN for my 15 year old for Christmas.  Then I paged through it again and decided, um, maybe next year . . . (Dr. Manhattan is naked!!!)

Hahaha! Yeah, I read it when I was 17 (almost 18). It's not THAT bad, but then again..my eyes have seen MUCH worse..

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on December 24, 2008, 01:56:38 AM

Apparently hes full on naked in the movie as well.

Maybe Im late to the party but have people seen these?
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/watchmen-motion-comics-episodes.php

For the purists afraid of the movie cutting or changing the GN, it looks like each comic issue animated using the original art and panels only with music and fx and narration for $1.99 each.

They are currently up through #7.
I watched a sample and I was intrigued....

BWPS

Holy damn, Matt Frewer is in this movie!

I'm still skeptical at how much a lot of these actors don't look like their characters, but Matt Frewer? He was in Honey I Shrunk the Kids and an episode of TNG!
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

bredon7777

I really disliked the guy doing the narration in the comics.  And when he (badly) attempted to do all the different voices, that was a deal-breaker.
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

GogglesPizanno

QuoteI'm still skeptical at how much a lot of these actors don't look like their characters, but Matt Frewer? He was in Honey I Shrunk the Kids and an episode of TNG!

Oh you Young un's....
Matt Frewer is and will always be Max Headroom...

Jakew

He's a perfect Moloch  :thumbup:

He was in Zack Synder's Dawn of The Dead too.

Figure Fan

Quote from: BWPS on December 24, 2008, 04:51:15 PM

I'm still skeptical at how much a lot of these actors don't look like their characters, but Matt Frewer? He was in Honey I Shrunk the Kids and an episode of TNG!

I'm not really sure about which characters you're referring to. The only one I could see being somewhat off is Veidt, but then again, Goode looks close enough. The rest, however, are practically dead-ringers. Especially Silk Specter II. They even got Rorschach's height right.

BWPS

Quote from: Figure Fan on December 24, 2008, 11:57:28 PM
Quote from: BWPS on December 24, 2008, 04:51:15 PM

I'm not really sure about which characters you're referring to. The only one I could see being somewhat off is Veidt, but then again, Goode looks close enough. The rest, however, are practically dead-ringers. Especially Silk Specter II. They even got Rorschach's height right.

Rorschach doesn't look anything like the actor. Big Figure was a frail old man, as much as I like Mickey that was off. Some people just need hair changes though, you're right. I do like the sexy dead guy who is still in every episode of Grey's Anatomy even though he's dead I mean I don't watch Grey's anatomy I'm awesome as The Comedian.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

GogglesPizanno

The comedian is the Dad from Supernatural... That automatically makes him awesome.

Figure Fan

Figure Fan

Wow, seriously.

The New York Times is publishing this story in depth in their papers. I don't see how anyone else can't see this as a stunt to boost the popularity of this movie. I mean, people are going to fretting over whether or not it's going to be released for the next two months, and it's advertising potential is going to shoot through the roof. People will then pour in to witness "the movie that almost never was".

It's so..simple..really.

bredon7777

I'm not so sure.  As I understand it, Fox wants to release the 60's Batman series on DVD, but WB owns the rights.  I could very easily see Fox screwing this up and delaying the release because of that issue.

Although I think a summer release would be better, myself.  I was never happy with the original datem asJan- March are where studios usually dump the stuff they think is crap and have no confidence in.
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

Figure Fan

Quote from: bredon7777 on December 26, 2008, 03:16:25 PM
I'm not so sure.  As I understand it, Fox wants to release the 60's Batman series on DVD, but WB owns the rights.  I could very easily see Fox screwing this up and delaying the release because of that issue.

Although I think a summer release would be better, myself.  I was never happy with the original datem asJan- March are where studios usually dump the stuff they think is crap and have no confidence in.

Actually, March has proven to be quite successful for films like this. Think back a few years to V for Vendetta and 300. They each made a killing in early March. Plus, having it come out on 03-06-09 at 12 (midnight) is just too cool. I think a Summer release wouldn't be a good time for this movie, just because there will probably be more popcorn flick-ish films coming out then that will overshadow it.

They'll probably settle this one out of court. I just want to see the movie that WB intended for us to see, regardless of who makes what percentage from the gross.

MJB

I hope the actual movie is half as good as all the previews make it out to be.

-MJB

bredon7777

Fox is asking for a halt to the release of the film.  WB is insisting on a trial (set for Jan 20) and not going to settle.  I'm thinking we can kiss a March release date goodbye.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081229/ap_en_ot/film_watchmen_suit

Figure Fan

Quote from: bredon7777 on December 31, 2008, 04:33:46 PM
Fox is asking for a halt to the release of the film.  WB is insisting on a trial (set for Jan 20) and not going to settle.  I'm thinking we can kiss a March release date goodbye.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081229/ap_en_ot/film_watchmen_suit

Yeah, I already read this on SuperHeroHype. I didn't post it on here because it's just more dramatic hype.

Here's what's interesting:

Isn't funny how MySpace, which is owned by News Corp, which in turn owns Fox, just posted a new video about the WB film which totes the 3/6/09 release date? Until I have GOOD reason to believe that they aren't creating all this drama for the sake of publicity, I'm not convinced that I won't be sitting in a theater on March 6, 2009 seeing this movie.

Jakew

Japanese Watchmen trailer

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/watchmen/japanese-trailer

Looks like the Hollis Mason / "In Gratitude" scene is still in the movie.

The Hitman

Figure Fan

AGREED.

This is probably the best look we've had at the movie thus far, and my does it look interesting. They really are packing in a lot of small details, too.

Two more months!

Figure Fan

Welp, I was right. :)

All for the publicity..

Oh well. We get to see the movie on time. I'm super excited!

detourne_me

cripp12

I have a question.
1. Having never read Watchmen should I before the movie. If so which book.

Gremlin

Quote from: cripp12 on February 17, 2009, 04:40:42 PM
I have a question.
1. Having never read Watchmen should I before the movie. If so which book.

Definitely read it. It's a self contained story, so it's all collected in one trade.

AncientSpirit

Does anybody else feel the way I do?   They are showig WAY too many clips from this movie!!!!

I love what I've seen.   But now I find myself just trying to AVOID the teasers. 

I realize that all the trailers and hype are for the jillions of people who know nothing about the Watchmen and need to be sold on seeing it.   BUT I'M GETTING TIRED OF CLOSING MY EYES AND SINGING LA, LA,LA,LA,LA,LA,LA,LA to block out all the sights and sounds they keep showing.

This movie's timing is perfect.   There's been so many Superman, Batman, X-men, Fan4, Hulk, Iron Man, Incredibles, Super X-Girlfriend, etc, movies -- that the public now knows enough about basic superheroes to appreciate this film even if they've never opened Comic Book One.

(Now, if they would only make my other all time favorite piece of fiction - Stranger in a Stranage Land - I could die happy.)

AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!