News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

killing the strangers arc 3

Started by Violet, December 24, 2008, 11:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Violet

I read arc's one and two of killing the strangers on Dr Mike's site, however if I try to read arc 3 I get a 404 error. Anyone know the correct urls for arc 3?

DrMike2000

There isnt one, because I never got around to writing out the final arc outline.

Maybe I should do that... just for completeness? 
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

catwhowalksbyhimself

That would be pure awesomeness.  Well, 95% pure awesomeness, but the stuff is mighty hard to distill.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Gremlin

That's ok, though, because the remaing 5% is sweetness.

Epimethee

It would indeed be verrrry nice – and not just for completeness purpose. ;)
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Violet

HILD

I was wondering about that myself I was disappointed I did not get to see what happend in the third act.  I thought the strangers story was more compelling then the freedom force story itself. 

AfghanAnt

I would love to see that last arc finished. I always loved what you did with my avatar.

bearded

DrMike2000

Thanks for the interest, people :)

I've written a couple of sections so far this week, so all signs point to me going the whole hog and finally finishing this thing that would have been known as "Strangers 2007" with the intent of sounding a little bit futuristic. Funny how time slips away from you like that.

Its wierd when I try to articulate this stuff onto a page that I realise how little of it I did have planned beyond characters and settings, but I'm doing what I can to fill in potential mission ideas and stuff that probably would have occurred to me. You should have a semi coherent outline soon.
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

Lunarman

Hurrah that sounds great to read :)

Violet

BentonGrey

I finally got a chance to read the story as it exists so far, and I have to say, Dr. Mike, you gave me a scare! 

Spoiler
I thought the story was shaping up for my favorite character, King Zero, to be the villain, and I was heartbroken!

Haha, I'm glad it didn't turn out that way.  I loved reading this story, and I loved revisiting these characters.  I still hold on to the very faint hope that one day this story will be told in the game, but in the meantime I am very happy I was able to read it.  Thanks for taking the time to do this for us Strangers fans, Dr. Mike.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

DrMike2000

The purpose of my existence is to frighten you, Benton :)

You know, I don't think I've ever written a good-to-evil conversion like that. There were times where the Strangers just seemed like an endless list of "fight this villain who then joins the team" rehabilitation scenarios.
(Well no that I go to list them there were two, Ace and Jack of Diamonds. Suppose there's the Queen too, eventually. Oh well)
I guess its one of my fundamental beliefs that once you've tasted being a part of an orgone-fuelled brightly coloured team of heroes there's no going back.

Quick progress report: NONE! I really need to get back to this and finish it up!

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

Epimethee

Quote from: DrMike2000 on January 14, 2009, 07:55:17 AMQuick progress report: NONE! I really need to get back to this and finish it up!
Aaaaaeyyyy! I'm contagious! Flee, people, flee!

Violet

Been a couple of weeks since anyone posted to this thread, is there any update?

BentonGrey

Other than the fact that DrMike scares me? ;)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

DrMike2000

Boo!

No update.
No more written yet, Ive had a couple of big milestones at work to shift.
On the downside, this weekend is a double XP weekend in City of Heroes, so there's competition for my time there....
On the upside its three days long, thanks to Monday being Australia Day! Yay! And what better way to celebrate my adopted homeland than by sitiing down and finishing this thing once and for all?

We shall see how these competing forces clash as the weekend progresses...
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

BentonGrey

Haha, well, I hope that the Strangers hold their own, Dr. Mike, but some things are worth waiting for. :D
God Bless

Violet

They sure are, I have no problem's with waiting, I just like being kept informed, heck who dosn't :)

Enjoy double XP weekend.

DrMike2000

Done! Grinding away to watch a pink bar fill up twice as fast is no match for reliving and refining those feverish ideas.

The final instalment is posted. If anything isn't clear, I'd love to discuss it right here.
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

Violet

Very nice! The deconstruction of various types of superworlds was interesting and I loved the ending, The Scientific Americans is also probably the coolest name for a superteam ever. Its such a shame beautiful will never be playable, it looks like you'd have outdone both partner's in wonder and Navigator vs Glorious Shining Engine.

One thing I did wonder: what exactly happened to the fundamentals, they talked about vacation but the fly sort of implies they lived and died in WWII, was that the end of them or do they go back to Fundament Zero after every life and look for a new adventure?

Also unless things have changed from Tales of the Navagator, the universe is finite, what happens after its over now the fundamentals are retired?

BentonGrey

Dr. Mike!  Given all the craziness lately, I haven't been able to get here to respond to this.  Thank you so much for finishing this up!  I absolutely loved reading the story, and it was a really great thrill to go on another adventure with these characters.  They are some of my all time favorites, and although I'm sad that I don't get to play through the missions you describe, the story itself was utterly worth the read.  During all the trouble here lately, this helped me to remember why I had started trying to mod in the first place.  Thanks! 

I also am curious about the fate of the Fundamentals.  I loved the bit with Queen Victoria....poor Albert. :D
God Bless

DrMike2000

The final fate of the Fundamentals, eh?

I guess the idea was that they go on to lead a series of fictional lives, not just as the WW II fighting team but whatever else takes their fancy afterwards. Kind of like how I now lead a series of fictional lives as I play other RPGs instead of creating stuff for Freedom Force.

Violet - after the Fundamentals retire and are replaced with the extended Strangers cast the universe keeps on ticking. Except now everyone's a superhero or supervillain or super-something, and the resultant daily upheavals, crises, threats to the spacetime fabric etc that result are dealt with and policed by the inhabitants.

Benton - if by Albert you mean Queen Victoria's consort who appears in that cutscene, he's just a chatbot sprite that agrees with everything the Queen says.
The real Albert would have died in 1880-whatever just like in our world, except unlike our world he probably instantly reincarnated into a parallel dimension as Albrecht Stern, orgone-enahnced Admiral of the Anglo-Prussian Space Empire!!! Why he's probably flashing his sabre, twirling his moustache and bedding space princesses right now, all at the same time even! And laughing like Brian Blessed!!! So I wouldn't exactly feel sorry for him...
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

Epimethee

Thanks for the closure, Dr. Very enjoyable. :)