Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: The Marvel Thread  (Read 114436 times)

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
Re: The Marvel Thread
« Reply #3480 on: October 19, 2017, 03:48:26 PM »
I read an article from someone involved at DC just prior to the implosion. He said that the attitude of far too many of the people was that this was a temp job on their way to Hollywood. I know Jack Kirby did designs for cartoons (Thundar), as did Doug Wildey  (Johnny Quest) and Alex Toth (Space Ghost and others), but each of these had been working for years in comics and illustration. Besides the whole thing that Jack Kirby was The King (and Wildey and Toth were no slouches either). I don't think that most of the present creators really give a darn about the characters, except for the ones they have created themselves.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #3481 on: October 20, 2017, 04:45:48 AM »
A lot of creators have moved on to  TV,animation and video games.Money is better.
Or at least went to Image to pitch their own movies.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #3482 on: October 31, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »
So,I may be a bit late,but #ComicGate.
https://steemit.com/comics/@jmillerworks/what-is-comicgate-and-why-are-marvel-s-sales-slumping

This being Marvel,they took up arms against several Youtube channels and their subscribers.Yeah,even if you shut down every youtuber who said something against you,that wont solve anything.

And no,this isn't like GamerGate.This is about creators vs fans.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:37:12 PM by HarryTrotter »
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• The Shining Savior
  • Better Call Saul!
« Reply #3483 on: November 01, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »
Sounds ugly. And sounds like an unfortunately natural progression of what I've seen over the years.
-"Wherever kindness is MOCKED--and CRUELTY is worn as a badge of honor--THERE you will find them. So WEAK inside,

that they cannot imagine that TRUE strength of SPIRIT--can even exist."
~Peregrine, describing Hydra, U.S. Avengers #8

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #3484 on: November 01, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »
I always said majority of readers doesnt want Waid and the rest shoveling their personal politics down their throaths.
And before somebody says: Comics were always political because Captain America punched Hitler;its not the same.
Personally,its not about disagreeing or agreeing with your message;I just dont want to hear it,and I think thats not too much to ask.
Or the short version,Waid is an a-hole who cant write any more.Avoid Marvel.It shouldnt be hard.
Jon Farmer

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #3485 on: November 15, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »
Looks like the attention of mainstream media is slowly turning towards the comic industry.And it looks like Mark Waid and Dan Slott might also be guilty of sexual harassment.So far its all just rumors,but somehow,I wouldn't be surprised.  :unsure:
Jon Farmer

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #3486 on: November 15, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
I can for sure see Slott being guilty of sexual harassment, hands down.  Just the way he acts pretty much says so.  As for Waid, I'm unsure.  True, he's been shoveling his personal politics into his writing lately but he used to be a pretty good guy.  Not sure...wouldn't be amazed though if it did come about he was guilty of sexual harassment...just not sure if it's a current thing or something that happened back in the day.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #3487 on: November 16, 2017, 11:34:39 AM »
He sure does act like somebody with a chip on his shoulder.And being a good writer (long time ago),doesnt mean he cant be a horrible human being.
Ofc,its all still just rumors.
Jon Farmer

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #3488 on: November 16, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
Very true.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.