News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

Yeah, Gambit hasn't looked like that in a long while. I'm pretty sure by the time he appeared in Carey's X-Men as part of Sinister's Marauders the Death look was gone for good.  He definitely doesn't look like that in Legacy.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

marhawkman

Maybe he'll suddenly realize he can do like warren and switch back and forth at will. :)

Previsionary

Astonishing X-men #30: preview

Anyway, is anyone going to review/summarize GotG or X-force?
Disappear when you least expe--

Silver Shocker

I haven't actually read Guardians yet. X-Force sorta goes like this:

Spoiler
Stryfe tries to fool Hope into thinking he is Cable after removing his helmet. Warpath breaks out of his bonds and attempts to fight Stryfe but is quickly defeated. Bishop attempts to fight Stryfe but Stryfe defeats him and destroys his bionic arm. Wolverine and Cable attempt to break into Stryfe's headquarters but encounter Stryfe and are hit hard. Using his TK, Styfe gets Wolverine to stab himself in the face (can adamantium claws cut an adamantium skull?) Meanwhile, Archangel discovers that Apocalypse wants to help Cable and X-Force kill Stryfe.

I was fairly disappointed with this issue. It suffered from a consistent problem with this crossover, i.e. that the events are progressing too slowly. Writing the summery for the issue really hit home the fact that very little of note really happened in the issue. In addition to that, Clayton Crain's usually striking artwork was murky, and at times hard to follow, definitely not on par with his work before the crossover started.

I give it a 2 on the Prevo-Meter (that's out of 5 right?)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

deano_ue

am i the only one who read amazing spider-man 595 got to the last page and though ohh for *@?" sake

Previsionary

Quote from: Silver Shocker on May 30, 2009, 03:46:55 PM
I was fairly disappointed with this issue. It suffered from a consistent problem with this crossover, i.e. that the events are progressing too slowly. Writing the summery for the issue really hit home the fact that very little of note really happened in the issue. In addition to that, Clayton Crain's usually striking artwork was murky, and at times hard to follow, definitely not on par with his work before the crossover started.

I give it a 2 on the Prevo-Meter (that's out of 5 right?)

Correct, it's out of 5. I feel similarly to you, though you did cut out some parts of Angels very small subplot...or B-story...or whatever. I think X-force is ultimately suffering from crossing over with Cable because the book is forced to slowdown for Cable to keep up and contribute to the plot. It doesn't help that this crossover is 7 or so issues. Hopefully it'll have a strong ending that will build up intrigue for Messiah...whatever.

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on May 30, 2009, 07:36:46 PM
am i the only one who read amazing spider-man 595 got to the last page and though ohh for *@?" sake

I actually bought this issue for Joe Kelly. Though I wasn't fond of that final page, I'm more than willing to give Joe a chance to explain his 5 part story.

Previsionary

Podmark

I really should review things again, but so little time...
I read four comics Secret Six, Amazing Spider-Man, Mighty Avengers, and New Mutants. All I'd give a 3/5. Worst was probably Mighty because of irritating art and a contrived plot with Hank saying "bring it, b#tch!" to Reed (ugh). My favorite was Amazing though.

Yay for quick unhelpful reviews!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

thanks for the quickies, Poddy. I decided not to review things this week. I will comment on three books:

Amazing Spider-man:

I like Joe Kelley's run thus far. It makes me miss him on Deadpool because this is probably one of the few times I have found the book to have any real sense of humor. However, I do question the inclusion of a street walker in an all ages book, and a certain scene with Venom wasn't really all that appropriate with the vibe it was giving off. Also, while I can accept the mentioning of Gwen "true love" Stacy, I always find myself becoming cautious when they mention her.

Mighty Avengers:

Between this book and New Avengers, I don't find either very entertaining. New Avengers has a habit of focusing on a few characters while everyone stands around and Mighty Avengers has a habit of mis-characterizing certain characters such as Hercules. The Reed/Hank fight may have been amusing, but I didn't exactly understand the point of it. Hank has made up for his misdeeds several times and, as of this moment, Reed is the bigger screw-up and everyone should be wary of him and Tony having big toys. Regardless, this book and New Avengers just aren't all that great to me at the moment.

Ultimate Spider-man Finale (kinda)
:

This isn't the real finale as the story officially ends in USM: Requiem. This was a silent issue, but as I read it, I realized that Bendis made a mistake in making it silent. Most of the issue didn't lend itself out to that genre. Since I didn't read ultimatum, the verdict is still out on whether or not Peter is truly dead. I, personally, don't care anymore. Anyway, I found it unusual that "chatty" Bendis would even attempt a silent issue. I think he pulled it off well enough; however, the book's own atmosphere and action didn't make very good use of it. Also, I find it a bit jarring that Bendis resulted to using dumb Hulk just because Loeb is. It's even harder to take in logically when a mini-series just ended explaining that Banner can control his Hulk side better. Whatever.

Talavar

The silent ultimate spider-man "finale" didn't really work for me; since they're re-starting this series, unless it's titled Ultimate Spider-(wo)man, I think they need the main character among the living, and wordless comics are more of a gimmick.

deano_ue

Quote from: Previsionary on June 06, 2009, 01:40:21 AM
thanks for the quickies, Poddy. I decided not to review things this week. I will comment on three books:

Amazing Spider-man:

I like Joe Kelley's run thus far. It makes me miss him on Deadpool because this is probably one of the few times I have found the book to have any real sense of humor. However, I do question the inclusion of a street walker in an all ages book, and a certain scene with Venom wasn't really all that appropriate with the vibe it was giving off. Also, while I can accept the mentioning of Gwen "true love" Stacy, I always find myself becoming cautious when they mention her.

for me personally replace the word cautious with the words mind numbingly bored

Previsionary

Not reviewing today, but I read Uncanny X-men: First Class. I loved it. The Wolverine portion of the book was at Deadpool levels of humor. In fact, I have pics. Spoilers pics below.

Spoiler

marhawkman

Read the latest Warmachine. Cool! I like the American Eagle guy. Not much happened, but there was a really cool scene that illustrated why Knights would raise their face shield as a form of salute.

Previsionary

Having read Uncanny now, I reeeeeallly want to see what AA thinks. AA, please post this week. :P

AfghanAnt

I read it at 1am last night and I have to say it was the most anti-climatic end issue ever and here's why:
Spoiler
First I understand putting Psylocke in the original body was a test by the Red Queen (who is obviously not who I thought it was) but having a character who showed up two panels out of four/five issues blow off Psylocke's face was stupid and smack in the face to all who actually thought she was going to get her body back. I'm also extremely annoyed with Fraction for once again making Psylocke the victim of brainwashing and having her fight her evil side on the astral plane (or where ever that was suppose to be). Didn't CC just do that in Exiles less than a year ago? Another thing why was Karma and Storm in this story? They both did nothing. Storm blow out some windows. She'd should have been the one who snapped Psylocke out of it? Haven't they been shown as better friends than Psylocke and Dazzler? Maybe Fraction thought he finally had to have Dazzler do something so the fans would be happy but he was severally wrong because she blew off the popular and interesting character's face because that is what old friends do to brainwashed friends (just ask Wolverine when he was going to gut Psylocke even though he knew she was being mind controlled). I guess more fanboys are interested in seeing a psychic-ninja Angelina Jolie (because that is obviously whose face Land was tracing) than a funny, throughbred British girl with a wry wit and a magical connection to Otherworld. It makes me even sadder because you think after being forced into someone's else body you would want to be back in your own. If Fraction wasnt worried about adding non-sense like X-Club and the Mastermind sisters arguing (where was brunette one in this issue?) he could have had Psylocke at least think about staying in her own body. Another thing, who in the frell's body did they dig up and desiccate to trick Maddie? And does anyone care about X-Club because I do not. Here's hoping the Dark X-Men issues are better but I doubt they will be.

Glitch Girl

Prev, I want to thank you for posting those pages.  I hadn't planned on picking up the book, but after seeing those, I might just (or at least wait for the trade).  You're right, that's pure Kelly Deadpool there.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Previsionary

AA, your post amuses me! I will now give my thoughts on this issue. In fact, it's time for a mini.

HIGHLIGHT ON: Sisterhood- The Fallacy Report

Spoiler
1. This storyline, or what little of it there was, made no sense. Last issue Maddie/ghost/red queen stole hair from Wolverine. What was the hair for?

- It supposedly led the women to Jean Grey... but it didn't! It led them to a fake body. So... what was the point again? And um, Maddie clone would know where Jean was buried. All the X-men are typically buried in one place... the mansion. Regardless, Jean's body isn't even existent anymore and hasn't been for years. Logic fallacy.

2. So many cameos, so little contributed. On the plus side, at least we didn't get a montage of, "we live happily in san fran!"

- I'd rather the main cast switch around than be pointless cameos galore. In this issue, Domino WAS in Japan, now she's IN New York. Travel fallacy. Northstar was brought in because the X-men needed speed while Cannonball was still around. He's then noticeably absent for most of several issues, then shows off his speed in one page. Usage fallacy.

3. The Creepy Factor. Wolverine randomly collects Jean's hair follicles, Cyclops has mental intercourse with Maddie and never decides to tell anyone he saw her... then has a mental breakdown about it when he barely cried over his dad, brother, or children in the last few years; Wolverine travels to Canada to collect Northstar instead of worrying about the body of someone he stood up for in the past, the constant bondage scenes with Red Queen, Mastermind, Empath, and Emma; and the large smiles. Wait... I didn't even mention Beast sneaking into Cyclops and Emma's room in the middle of the night to give his dramatic speech. Didn't Wolverine ALSO do that... but in the morning? Character development fallacy.

4. Psylocke was used as a pointless draw in this arc. If Fraction REALLY wanted her back and STREAMLINED like he claimed, this was the wrong way to go about it. Way to tease, Fraction. You re-introduced things she hasn't dealt with in years and then moved right back into the status quo. You ultimately made her confusing to any new reader that might pick this up. Wanted streamline? Just say she's back from Exiles since her team is defunct. Simplicity Fallacy.

5. I thought it was bad when Fraction had Emma using TP in diamond form. It got much worse every issue he wrote in this arc. Where to start? Well, Emma is an obvious. The girl became a full blown brawler in this arc with her abuse of Mastermind. I'll explain to you why this doesn't make sense. In diamond form, Emma has no mental defense. Mastermind would take advantage of that. If Emma wanted to use any physical attacks (note, she's not trained in brawl techniques like her predecessor, Jean, is), she'd have to weaken Mastermind mentally first. Secondly, Spiral did absolutely nothing but teleport the team around. Spiral... isn't she the sorceress that has regularly knocked the team around? Maybe you should... use her... correctly. Now to Psylocke. Her psychic knife CUT someone. She was literally using it as if it was a physical knife... and then lobotomized herself to relive the Lady Mandarin storyline from Exiles. Now to Dazzler, who I thought was Emma for a page or two; she can't generate beams like that. There wasn't enough sound around and she'd have better control over it than that. I mean, she was only a herald. Also, I think she negated a psychic knife attack... it's like the constant death storyline all over again. And then there's Chimera... I could go on and on. Power usage fallacy.

6. The Red queen's plan ultimately could have been pulled off much better if she did it alone. I don't understand the major point of whatever she was doing. I know her end goal, but she basically alerted the X-men to her ideas every inch of the way. So... "Plans? What plans?" fallacy.

7. "Hi, I'm Martinique and I'm Mastermind's daughter and Lady Mastermind's sister. I have amnesia... but maybe not anymore. I appear and disappear at random interv--" ... "Who are you and what do you do?" fallacy. Also applies to Storm, KARMA (funny caption, fraction. Funny), and the majority of the team not part of the sacred 4.

8. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the Psylocke fight started with EMMA and ended with Dazzler. It'd be nice to see how that happened. "You know what? It happened off-panel!" fallacy.

9. Red queen phased through cyclops' attacks and couldn't be touched, but didn't she touch hair and other things in the other issues? "Are you realized or not?" fallacy.

Ultimately, if I look at this Uncanny X-men storyline as a giant arc of unintentional funny moments, it's not bad. The problem comes when you actually begin to look for anything resembling a story, character development, theme, or plot. It doesn't help that Land drew the art. This isn't a slight against him because of his infamous art practices; it's a slight against him because of how many art related problems are strewn throughout each issue. If Fraction was trying to show us how not to write several characters and how not to write certain storylines, then he succeeded. Other than that, well... .
======

No worries, GG. I think the book is really worth the 4 dollars (giant sized special, the actual series hasn't begun yet). You get around 40 pages of story split between each character in the book minus Jean. Each story has a different art and writing style, and each character has their moment. Basically, it's a framing story + 5 smaller stories within it it + a few extras. Pretty good read, me thinks. In other news, I have also heard that Claremont's X-men: Forever started off well.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on June 11, 2009, 03:22:28 PM
AA, your post amuses me! I will now give my thoughts on this issue. In fact, it's time for a mini.
I had to edit the heck out of that. I should not post when I just wake up.

OHMYGAWD PREV! Your thoughts amused me.

thanoson

But what about Deadpool vs Bullse....err, Hawkeye? This was frickin hilarious. Prev, please enlighten the folks.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

Talavar

Adding to the Uncanny X-men 511 fallacy report: in this issue Scott pegs Mach 5 at about 300 mph.  Um, that's not even Mach 1, the speed of sound (about 700 mph, depending on altitude & temperature).  Mach 5 is literally 5 times faster; getting something like that wrong is just lazy writing.

Also, since Northstar can apparently go lightspeed, wouldn't it have been faster for him to go to the Mansion first rather than fly in the plane?  I mean, crossing North America at the speed of light is basically teleporting.  I guess if one thought the speed of sound is 300 mph one might also be grossly misinformed about how fast the speed of light is.

Previsionary

Quote from: thanoson on June 11, 2009, 07:15:34 PM
But what about Deadpool vs Bullse....err, Hawkeye? This was frickin hilarious. Prev, please enlighten the folks.

Enlighten the people to what? I don't find Way's "he's beating our meat!" DP all that amusing, so I don't think I'm the person for the job. ^^.

thanoson

Aww... I thought this issue was great for laughs. The call to the radio station really makes Bullseye seem as crazy as Deadpool. Plus, I like the interaction between the two because Bullseye actually relates to Wade in that one scene of the flashbacks. Isn't that meat reference something Deadpool would say? Well, in his own mind at least. What is it about the writing you don't like?

Outcast

Bullseye vs Deadpool!  Looks and sounds  :cool:.

Spoiler
How was Bullseye able to defeat Deadpool?

murs47

Okay...just no. I cry myself to sleep every night because of Way's handling of the title.

The art is brilliant. Almost worth the cover price alone...almost.

I feel like Deadpool is now written by a substance abuser for other substance abusers. There is no other possible answer for its positive reviews. I now contemplate substance use, if not alcohol consumption, prior to reading an issue so I don't waste three dollars every month. But then, that would cost me more money...

*explodes*

thanoson

Quote from: Outcast on June 13, 2009, 04:28:18 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler
Deadpool tells Bulleseye that he has no sense of humor. While Deadpool is beating the snot out of Bullseye, Bullseye says "I just don't get it." Which Deadpool responds with, "What, how am I kicking your butt?" after dodging a arrow that Bullseye throws at him. However, the arrow ricohets off a mirror or something, striking Deapool in the head, in which Bullseye responds with, "No, that you think I have no sense of humor."

I thought that was awesome. I'm no expert like Murs or Prev is at Wade, but I like this stuff that's coming out. It entertains me and that's what I'm going for.

Previsionary

I don't feel like going into why I dislike current Deadpool as I have done so before (one spur of the moment rant a week, dangit!). I've reviewed like 4 issues, I think, + I have a general dislike for Way's writing as can be seen in my Wolverine and Wolverine Origins "sumviews". Besides that, I believe Bullseye and Deadpool have been written better (together) in the past without so much of the forced nature. Anyway, my main problem with current DP is the multiple voices. It's not just the use of the voices, but it's the fact that Way introduced it to make up for the lost of DP's cast (which was something JQ felt was wrong with spider-man...). If I were to suggest or recommend a semi-good Deadpool series, it'd be Deadpool: Suicide Kings which makes use of Punisher, Daredevil, Outlaw, Spidey, and Tombstone. Of course, that series seems to mimic Way's style, so it's not that great of a recommendation, but I did enjoy it much more than the actual DP series, which I find to have very little substance.

AfghanAnt

I'm sorry but Deadpool is hilariously funny. I picked it up when I got my other comics and all I have to say is the current written should be tapped for dialogue for the Deadpool movie. I got a real "Shawn of the Dead" type of banner from the issue and needless to say I'm a Deadpool (and Bulleyes) fan again. I really wish Deadpool and cable was still around though. They were the best comic duo ever.

Is there interaction forced? See I just know Deadpool and while he's not 4th wall breaking Wade I know, I can see what the sort of comedic writing Way is going with (btw I have never read any of Way's work because I stay away from all thing Wolverine accept the Origins tradeback which I enjoyed).

Courtnall6

When did Colin Farrell become "comic" Bullseye and why is he dressed like Hawkeye? :huh:
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Courtnall6 on June 13, 2009, 02:30:41 PM
When did Colin Farrell become "comic" Bullseye and why is he dressed like Hawkeye? :huh:

After the DD movie and during Dark Reign.

murs47

Quote from: thanoson on June 13, 2009, 05:36:18 AM
Quote from: Outcast on June 13, 2009, 04:28:18 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler
Deadpool tells Bulleseye that he has no sense of humor. While Deadpool is beating the snot out of Bullseye, Bullseye says "I just don't get it." Which Deadpool responds with, "What, how am I kicking your butt?" after dodging a arrow that Bullseye throws at him. However, the arrow ricohets off a mirror or something, striking Deapool in the head, in which Bullseye responds with, "No, that you think I have no sense of humor."

I thought that was awesome. I'm no expert like Murs or Prev is at Wade, but I like this stuff that's coming out. It entertains me and that's what I'm going for.

First off, I'm no expert. An idiot maybe.........an expert idiot...heh.

I actually liked that fight scene as well at the end of issue 10. My frustration is more with issue 11. Way probably got high and thought meat jacket was the greatest thing ever, then he wanted to push it as much as possible. So basically the entire issue revolved around something that wasn't funny in my eyes.

I also have problems with the multiple voices, mostly because it's potential isn't being maximized. So far issues six and nine are worth double their cover price. The rest of the series....I want my money back. Odd how those two issues featured characters of Deadpool's past supporting casts.

I'm glad Wade's getting another solo on-going. It may co-star a zombie's head, but at least it's not written by Daniel Way and that's a victory all on it's own. ^_^

Quote from: Courtnall6 on June 13, 2009, 02:30:41 PM

Deadpool tried attacking Bullseye at a Halloween party.