Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtnall6

Quote from: AfghanAnt on June 13, 2009, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: Courtnall6 on June 13, 2009, 02:30:41 PM
When did Colin Farrell become "comic" Bullseye and why is he dressed like Hawkeye? :huh:

After the DD movie and during Dark Reign.

Ah yes...always interesting to see comic books adopt Hollywoods failings.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Previsionary

Quote from: AfghanAnt on June 13, 2009, 06:02:36 AM
I'm sorry but Deadpool is hilariously funny. I picked it up when I got my other comics and all I have to say is the current written should be tapped for dialogue for the Deadpool movie. I got a real "Shawn of the Dead" type of banner from the issue and needless to say I'm a Deadpool (and Bulleyes) fan again. I really wish Deadpool and cable was still around though. They were the best comic duo ever.

Is there interaction forced? See I just know Deadpool and while he's not 4th wall breaking Wade I know, I can see what the sort of comedic writing Way is going with (btw I have never read any of Way's work because I stay away from all thing Wolverine accept the Origins tradeback which I enjoyed).

Way's humor isn't something I can enjoy. To me it just feels like a step down from most of the stuff that came before. I will say he seems to be getting a better handle, but it's just not for me. Also, this DP vs. Bullseye story is forced for one major reason alone. DP "just" got out of a crossover where an entire team was sent to kill him, and they certainly outrank Bullseye in the threat department. So, why exactly would Norman go, "Hrm, my T-bolts were gravely outsmarted, so why don't I send DP's old frienemy after him instead! He's got no powers and has no real chance of accomplishing the feat, but it'll be GRAND!"

Anyway, with all the DP stories going around lately, I've found that DP is portrayed much better in other series outside of his own such as Marvel Zombies, Weapon X: First Class, Suicide Kings, and X-force/Cable; and the major reason for that happens to revolve around the fact that DP actually has someone to interact off again. That's when he's at his best, when he has a "straight" man or two + a myriad of other personalities to annoy.

Quote from: Courtnall6 on June 13, 2009, 02:30:41 PM
When did Colin Farrell become "comic" Bullseye and why is he dressed like Hawkeye? :huh:

C6, you wouldn't like it. :P. When Norman beat the skrull queen and took over as the head of SHIELD/HAMMER, he took some of his old Tbolts team and said, "Now that I'm in charge, you all will be revered as Avengers! We'll show the people we're not evil... while being completely evil! Also, you will wear Avenger costumes that I just happen to have spares of!"

So in short, I've never been a major fan of Daniel Way (and I've read several books by him), but my bias against him doesn't make me count him out immediately, and we now have three Avengers teams: 2 good, 1 evil.

ETA:

Heck, I didn't even mention that ever since the series premiered, it has been greatly tied into Dark Reign and every arc has been about the same thing over and over. Norman sending someone to kill DP and "hilarity" ensues. I'd like a bit more variety in my light plot books. If I want continuous "I'm going to kill you" plots, I'd just read Red Hulk... ok, I wouldn't, but still.
Disappear when you least expe--

murs47

Who knew Deadpool could spark such seriousness. :lol:

Previsionary

ENOUGH!

Dark X-men/Utopia stuffage from IGN. Take a peak. Could Emma and Cyclops finally be on their way to real relationship drama? Pfft, probably not.

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on June 13, 2009, 07:41:38 PM
ENOUGH!

Dark X-men/Utopia stuffage from IGN. Take a peak. Could Emma and Cyclops finally be on their way to real relationship drama? Pfft, probably not.

Bah you want Dark X-Men/Utopia stuff? I give you preview pics:
CBR's new Cup of Joe feature, go down the page, 6 pics total. I've identified all but 2 or 3 characters in the last group shot.
IGN's preview, 4 pics no words.

Pod is very happy to see his beloved New X-Men  :D Unfortunately Pod has little interest in Fraction's X-Men  :thumbdown:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Prev: Ah! I see. I haven't read a Deadpool comic since Cable and Deadpool ended so I am lapsed in my recent history.

Is Suicide Kings good? Maybe I should pick that up to get my fix.

Also he's been showing up in X-Force too? I have a hard time reading that comic because it feels like I'm reading extremely gory bishonen manga and I don't read Cable because I feel like I'm reading an issue of Heavy Metal.

Podmark

Quote from: AfghanAnt on June 14, 2009, 01:44:45 AM
Also he's been showing up in X-Force too? I have a hard time reading that comic because it feels like I'm reading extremely gory bishonen manga and I don't read Cable because I feel like I'm reading an issue of Heavy Metal.

The Deadpool in X-Force right now is a future version that's hundreds of years old and more insane than ever before.

Also I can totally see calling Choi's art bishonen, but not Clayton Crain's. Either way it's gory though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

MJB

So in current Marvel continuity there are 3 Deadpool's running around? Regular, Zombie and Future?

Previsionary

Quote from: MJB on June 14, 2009, 07:11:30 AM
So in current Marvel continuity there are 3 Deadpool's running around? Regular, Zombie and Future?

Kinda. Zombie Deadpool will star with regular Deadpool in a series soon, but zombie DP is from a different dimension and just ended up in 616 Marvel in Marvel Zombies 3, iirc. As for X-force, that's supposedly "current" DP, just very far into the future (I.E., time hop!). So technically, there's only 2 DP's running around, though if you count the Exiles versions...
----------

Suicide Kings is mediocre so far (it's still going), but I found it more amusing than Way's Pool. Not so much for the plot, which involves someone setting DP up as a terrorists and Punisher going after him, but for some of the odd moments in the book and the return and mention of some of DP's old cast. That, and I find it amusing to see DP interact with other heroes he rarely gets a chance to hang around with such as DD and Spidey*.

*little known fact, I really, really, really wanted to write a DP/Spidey scene in Ultimate Trio. Of course, it didn't work out. So... I'm hoping Spidey has a big part in Suicide Kings #4 of 5.

thanoson

So, I'm thinking a team consisting of Deadpool, Bullseye, Taskmaster and Ant Man would be all kinds of fun.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

The Enigma

Quote from: thanoson on June 14, 2009, 04:24:07 PM
So, I'm thinking a team consisting of Deadpool, Bullseye, Taskmaster and Ant Man would be all kinds of fun.

From the sounds of things, we could manage a team of Deadpool, Deadpool, Zombie Deadpool and Deadpool. And Wolverine, cuz, you know, overused joke.
The Enigma skin by Juancho, thanks Jay. Fate skin by Kitt Basher, thanks Kitt. Microhero by Reepicheep, thanks Reep. Fate smiley by Paradox. RIP dude.

NeoDarke

Quote from: The Enigma on June 14, 2009, 04:27:49 PM
Quote from: thanoson on June 14, 2009, 04:24:07 PM

From the sounds of things, we could manage a team of Deadpool, Deadpool, Zombie Deadpool and Deadpool. And Wolverine, cuz, you know, overused joke.

No, no, no. It's Deadpool, Deadpool, Zombie Deadpool, Deadpool, Wolverine and Wolverine. 'Cause seeing Deadpool(s) meeting Logan and "Jr." would be all kinds of funny.
I didn't do it!

What didn't I do?

Previsionary

What if Deadpool already has met Daken and Logan at the same time? *See Wolverine Origins... or don't. Best if you don't.*

murs47

I think Deadpool, Bob, Reed Richards, and Sue Storm would be the ultimate team-up.

Podmark

I once made a joke to a friend about Deadpool having the Cosmic Cube as a sidekick, and the Cosmic Cube was voiced by David Hyde Pierce. They went on wacky adventures all through the universe. It was great.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Hey, where's that guy that used to review and summarize? That guy is slackin'!

X-men Legacy #225 (3):

No need for a spoiler tag or even that much info. This issue focuses on Xavier putting an end to the Acolytes. This story also features the return of Karima Sharpander, who decided to stay with Exodus after Xavier and Magneto abandoned her. Outside of Xavier single-handedly attempting to come into and take down the Acolytes, a revisit of Amelia and Xavier's past, and Xavier talking Exodus into changing his purpose in life, not much else happens. However, the X-men should have some new visitors in San Fran and the end of the issue alludes to how Norman got Xavier and Exodus to join/form the Dark X-men.

Overall, I'd rate this issue another 3. Legacy is typically a mediocre read where not much happens, but everyone mostly stays in character. In that sense, I can understand why the book is sometimes labeled as "boring." On the other hand, nothing wildly gross or out of character happens and it's not a book that relies on huge plot twists, a huge cast list, or events that hinge on the very minimalist's idea of a plot. We'll see how this book fares during the Dark X-men/Avengers crossover, though the next issue seems to be about Rogue, Gambit, and Danger going by the teaser/cover. Fun.

daglob

Quote from: Podmark on June 15, 2009, 05:00:51 PM
I once made a joke to a friend about Deadpool having the Cosmic Cube as a sidekick, and the Cosmic Cube was voiced by David Hyde Pierce. They went on wacky adventures all through the universe. It was great.

Bat-Mite: "Batman just doesn't appreciate me. I'll show him; I'll find another super-hero and help him to be greater than Batman."

Zoom in on Deadpool: "Wha..."

AfghanAnt

I don't get why Carey is using Danger so much. Also why does this title feel so incredibly boring when he first started on the title it was the most exciting and best x-title.

Mystik

I think carey is just stretching his out until the 3rd part of the messiah trilogy (and the next  x revamp)- its like he's stuck in limbo until then

on another note
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/061609brubabkercap600.html - an interesting interview 

Previsionary

AA, I think the problem with Legacy and why so many people classify it as the "brainy, boring" book is simple. Carey spends issue after issue focusing on character development and the plot usually feels secondary or subtle. In comparison, books like Uncanny and X-force aim for high, exciting action and development typically seems secondary if the issue has any type of development at all.

I should note that character development isn't about how "in-character" a fictional person is, but how much progression or introspection the character is allowed. I can't deny that Xavier needed a lot of fixing thanks to what writers did for him, but I don't know if it was a good idea to spend 20+ issues on fixing him (and Rogue) up. Twas necessary, so hopefully future stories and such bring the excitement factor back. Also of note, I think the extreme focus on Xavier and his "cast" of characters also brings the book down a bit because A ) Xavier isn't a well liked character to begin with and B ) any character that is focused on too much begins to affect your likingment [sic] of them and/or the storyline they're in. (See: "Wolverine" Effect)

Podmark

Yay more Karima! I missed her so.
I pick up Legacy in bulk whenever my shop has sales. It's a decent read all at once but it doesn't excite me enough for monthly reading.

I didn't realize Exodus would be part of the Dark X-Men.

Pod's quickie reviews:
Young Avengers #2: Mark Brooks is one of my fav artists but I found his work really off on a number of pages. Story is slow, kinda interesting but I find it really odd too. Hard to explain just not what I expected and I really don't know where this will all go. I'm giving it a 2/5 but it's not awful or anything.

Cable (Messiah War #6): God I can't wait for this to end. Too long, too repetitive, and poor art with the exception of the prologue. Ariel Olivetti's art drives me nuts - so static and bulky (Elixir is hilarious looking). There are few surprising/interesting developments in this one though. 2/5

Mighty Avengers #26: This story is so contrived that it's so bad it's good. I found it so unintentionally funny. Art is kinda better than last month in that it didn't bother me nearly as much. The developments with Jocasta and Hank are too fast but interesting. Still waiting for this book to really pick up. 3/5 but it's probably really a 2, I just enjoyed it for all the wrong reasons :D
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Captain Britain #14... was an awesome read. It was quite the ride from beginning to end. Any book that is able to tie in an annual, which, on a whole, has become fairly useless in the comic genre, is grand in my book. Doom is a smart man, and the Mi13 really know how to use their heads when they need it. However, I can't help but feel bad for Lady Jac. Tis a 4 out of 5. Trade it, people. It ends in one more issue... sadly. :(

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=28809 - Uncanny Preview. The return of Betsy and Warren? No way! I won't even comment on Psylocke and her power upgrade.

Previsionary

Quote from: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/060918-WordBalloon-Loeb1.html#comments"Hulk #14-#18 features the match-up of Hulk Vs Wolverine in a story called Code Red. The Red Hulk puts together a team consisting of Thundra, Deadpool, Elektra, The Crimson Dynamo, Punisher and a couple of other surprises to come. They encounter X-Force and starts off with someone learning the Red Hulk's deepest secret." -- Loeb

I made a great decision in deciding NOT to pick this up when I first heard about it. Also, DP is teetering on overexposure at the point. They should cut it down a bit. Anyway, unless Hulk is grabbing people from time again, I don't see the bolded characters joining him for ANY reason, especially not Punisher.

Also, any writer that criticizes another should have some good work to back it up currently... not anything named "Hulk" or "Ultimatum." ^^
--------------

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.8463.Captain_Britain~colon~_A_Batwing_and_a_Prayer

I'll miss Captain Britian. #14 had quite the twist in it. Should've been obvious, but it wasn't...

--------------

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=2876&disp=table

Dark Wolverine = passable... and by "passable," I mean I'll be able to pass it on the rack as should you. :P

Silver Shocker

Pre, which writer(s) was Loeb criticizing? I checked out the article and didn't see anything (just skimmed it) and am not really interested in listening to a podcast interview with Jeph Loeb.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

AfghanAnt

Why is Mighty Avengers so bad? And is it me or was DR Young Avengers really dull this week.

Previsionary

I didn't understand the point of this Mighty Avengers's arc other than developing some characters and moving a plot device around. Why did Reed mistrust Hank... then forgive Hank? What was that built on? It just felt hollow to me. Also, some characters feel very useless to me at the moment. Not to mention that I can do without the reverse of SW and Vision/Cassie and Vision. Hank and Jocasta just feels... very... odd. I'm gonna hafta "no" that development.

Quote from: Silver Shocker on June 19, 2009, 07:47:04 PM
Pre, which writer(s) was Loeb criticizing? I checked out the article and didn't see anything (just skimmed it) and am not really interested in listening to a podcast interview with Jeph Loeb.

Loeb did a lot of hot air talking so it's hard to home in on anything specific. He's an obtuse guy. But anyway, he spoke about Bendis and Brubaker on DD and why he felt that direction was wrong... so to speak. Look, I did you all a favor and made clips of the interview for your enjoyment. I left out the Hulk 600/Hulk 13/Ultimatum stuff because it made me ill.

Warning, may contain some mature language.

[Links Down!]

From those small snippets, you will learn that Loeb is a bit out of it and really HATES Nightwing and Barry. Also, for some reason, he compares his Hulk to Michael Bay's transformers. I'm not sure how to really take that. Anyway, these will be up for a few days before disappearing. Listen while you can.

Tomato

Huh.

I find his "capes should fight capes" rant incredibly interesting. Especially since my favorite Loeb book is "The Long Halloween."

Zippo

I've gotta say, Legacy is by far my favorite X-book right now. I love how Xavier is actually being used as "the most powerful mind in the world".

AfghanAnt

Thanks for the clips. It is weird he talked about how characters should act when he is notorious for OOC.

Wow, I'm really insulted by his Nightwing sucks comment.

Also what is his problem with secret identities getting screen time. Isn't he the one who wrote Superman for All Seasons? Also Geoff obviously knows what he's doing - everything he touches turns to gold where as Loeb just tells ridiculous stories which are always saved by the artist.

Previsionary

http://comics.ign.com/articles/996/996452p1.html -- Fraction on Dark Reign/Utopia/Ironman

- Sometimes, I think Fraction hasn't actually looked into the characters he wants to write. Claiming the X-men are too masculine when he has like 6 females on the team he doesn't use, claiming Emma was never really a villain, and his confusion about Psylocke and Dazzler is a bit off-putting. I really, really hope Dark X-men is worth it.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21683 - Mike Carey on Legacy's new direction with Rogue. Perhaps we'll see more "New" X-men?

Quote from: CareyThe younger mutants that Rogue interacts with include a who's who of characters from New X-Men and Young X-Men. ?I think it's fair to say that Bling is a very important character and Trance, who is important in issues #226-227 of the series, continues to play a key role,? Carey revealed. ?We'll also be seeing a lot of characters like Indra, Loa, and Hellion.?

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21692 - Aaron, Pak, and Hickman on "The List." The return of Fantomex??

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21673 - Fraction, Bendis, and Remender on "The List."

In other news, did anyone read USM: Requiem part 1?