The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Pod, something else you might like, I recall reading that the YA will appear in Mighty pretty soon. It must be sad having your favorite characters stuck in cameo roles... that's so X-men circa the 60s.

No reviews this week from me; however, I read New Mutants #3! I found it to be enjoyable, though I feel like there was a considerable gap in its release schedule. I also read the final issue of Joe Kelley's "American Son". I found it to be passable, although I wasn't all that enthused about its outcome.
Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on July 17, 2009, 06:13:14 AM
Pod, something else you might like, I recall reading that the YA will appear in Mighty pretty soon. It must be sad having your favorite characters stuck in cameo roles... that's so X-men circa the 60s.

No reviews this week from me; however, I read New Mutants #3! I found it to be enjoyable, though I feel like there was a considerable gap in its release schedule. I also read the final issue of Joe Kelley's "American Son". I found it to be passable, although I wasn't all that enthused about its outcome.

New Mutants 3 was either 5 or 6 weeks from #2. The 5 week month has releases kinda screwed up this month.

I liked American Son. Probably one of my favorite BND story arcs.

The YA seem to be permanent guest/cameos in Mighty. One day they will have an ongoing again though. Someone just needs to kick Heinberg.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

MMk, it's been awhile since I've reviewed anything in my old style. I'm sure no one has missed them, but whatever! :P

X-force #17:

This issue should be refreshing since we?re finally out of that crossover nonsense that resulted in neither book having a new course or outlook on their mission. It should be? but will it? Let us not forget that several issues ago, the X-men were interrupted mid-mission by the slowly, but surely, mentally degrading, but oh-so-fly Cyclops. How will this story end? Let?s find out. Turn the page.

Spoiler
Opening up where the team left off several issues ago, X-23 finds herself right in front of the Leper Queen, who is raving to herself about wanting to die. Laura fulfills Leper?s wish and Tabitha finds herself safe as X-23 falls to the floor muttering about Julian. Barely a second later, men in HAMMER gear break into the room. Tabitha will be taken to a medical facility, X-23 will become a prisoner, and Leper Queen will be coming face-to-face with heaven?s gate? or hell?s.

Meanwhile, Rahne, who I forgot was in this book, is in a state of bliss with her current love interest. That of course doesn?t last long as Frost Giants stand over them preparing to attack. But let?s not focus on this. It?s such a small part of the book that I shouldn?t even have wasted a paragraph on it.

Moving on to Surge and Julian in New York, the duo manages to escape, but Surge is unable to control her powers. This is all overlaid on top of a scene of Bastion manipulating a congressman giving a speech about the sentinel program. Of course, the scene with Julian and Surge gets bloody as Wolverine and Archangel arrive on the scene and begin to hack people apart. Angel gets a little overwhelmed by his darker personality resulting in Wolverine stabbing him to get his attention and bring Warren back as the dominant personality. By this point, Surge is already on her way towards the meeting. Angel flies off, swoops her up, and takes her as high as he can possibly go before her powers really begin to overload her. As Foley runs to Angel and Nori?s rescue, we get a quick scene change to Domino, and the books ends with a massive explosion of lightning.

This issue was ok, and it was nice to see Rahne again. I think she needs to play a much bigger part than she has in this series, otherwise I don?t see the point of taking her off X-factor. At least there, she had a more active role and storyline. The whole team is split up in this issue, though everyone, minus Warpath, got some amount of adequate screen time. Oh, I can now confidently say that this storyline takes place before Utopia, which makes me wonder why Wolvie and Domino were present in the Psylocke story of Uncanny, but have all been missing for Utopia minus, I guess, Warpath (I think I saw him filling out a background in the one-shot). So coming to a conclusion, this was a pretty good read, but nothing that set my literary heart on fire. I give it a 3 out of 5.

Dark Wolverine #76:

Much to my astonishment, last issue of this book was pretty good, but before I make any official retractions, let?s see how this issue holds up. Previously, Daken was making waves as he slowly began to work through his teammates, starting with Bullseye. Not only that, Daken reveals that he might just be a little bi-curious. Though, of interest, I do find it odd that Daken now has uber-refined tastes after spending the majority of his creation not caring about it. I suspect this was something Majorie Liu added. Anyway, onto the sumview.

I wouldn?t feel human if I let this pass. I just wouldn?t and I hope you all understand, but Ares looks ridiculous without his helmet. I thought the Mohawk thing he used to rock was bad? but this is worse. Leave the helmet on. Now onto the sumview?for real real, not for play play.

Spoiler
Skipping forward in time, the Dark Avengers are in a meeting after their showdown with the Fantastic Four. The majority of the team is upset that they didn?t fight and/or kill their opponents, but as Norman points out, you DON?T kill the Fan4. After the meeting, Daken and Ms. Marvel speak. He warns her that she shouldn?t be attracted to Norman (and I didn?t know she was) and that Bullseye is trying to set him up. Of course, that?s not exactly what happened, but letting Moonstone and Norman think Hawkeye is out to get him works favorably for his plan to take out his current leader. Let the games of deceit begin!

On the other side of town, the Fan 4 are having pretty much the same meeting and reactions as the Avengers minus the snide and evil remarks. Cue Daken?s entrance with his lovely charm, which results in Thing trying to knock his block off. After some more verbal insultage, Thing is about ready to kill Daken and it takes some considerable effort by Johnny and the rest of the fan4 to stop Thing from going mad and leaving Daken a smear on the floor. Daken expected this and isn?t shocked when the Fan4 tell him that Wolverine gave them a warning about him.

After things cool down, Daken quickly alerts them as to his true reasons for coming to visit the team: to get out of Norman?s trap before it all falls down. Also, he wants to find his own identity, and he certainly can?t do that while being a sarcastic flunky. While all of this is going down, Bullseye is watching from afar, and as luck would have it, Norman was watching him as well. What a game we have here. And the game only gets messier when Daken realizes he was followed and sets up even MORE people. Is it possible that Daken might be sneakier than his pops? Yes.

That?s two issues in a row that I found appealing. I?m in shock, but I know this has very little to do with Daniel Way. You see, I don?t think he?s writing the majority of these issues. I think the writing process falls mostly on Majorie, and I?m fine with that. She adds things to this character that makes him seem more than just another Wolverine derivative, which he ultimately is. Regardless of the fact that I question the sudden changes to his personality and his raising degree of smarts, he intrigues me now, and it only took Way getting a Co-Writer. Because of this, gangers, I give this issue a 3.5. I enjoyed it more than X-force, but it still has me questioning a few things.

Guardians of the Galaxy #16:

Sadly, I don?t really remember what happened last issue except the GotG learned that Lilandra was dead, they were attacked, and tracked through their lovely base. Other than that, this book is still stuck in WoK, so if you weren?t involved with this book or the event to begin with, you probably won?t care what happened last time. Consider it? skipped.

Spoiler
Avengers Mansion, 3009, Starhawk and some of the GotG members appear in the mansion and continue to fight. As the battle rages on, wouldn?t you know it, the future version of the GotG (featuring Vance) arrives on the scene to put a halt to their supposed targets! What a predicament. And you know it wouldn?t be a comic if one incarnation of the team didn?t fight the other. That?s a given.

The fighting doesn?t last long as the future Guardians + Starhawk finally get around to explaining what?s going on in their time and why Starhawk brought the ?present? guardians there. Whatever happens in their time wrecks havoc with the future. Who?s the cause of this damage, you ask? None other than King Blackbolt. Before the ?present? team can make use of this information, the badoons (from the future) attack and destroy the time machine. Our team is trapped!

The last session of the book revolves around the future and present GotG trying to break through the Badoon control and send Adam Warlock a message to save the future. And of course, that goes about as expected and leaves the team in a very deadly position!

I think I enjoyed this issue, though it really has no major ties to WoK. Not necessarily a bad thing, but with the banner on the cover, I expected a little more connectivity. Anyway, with Starhawk?s purpose out of the way, and the team once again stuck in a life/death situation, I rate this book a mighty 3.
------------

Murs linked me to this, so I'll share it with you all. Exiles is canceled... again.

Talavar

Wasn't Wolverine Jr. introduced as being a little bi-curious?  I thought in his initial appearances he was leading on a guy or something like that.

GhostMachine

Quote from: Talavar on July 23, 2009, 09:55:57 PM
Wasn't Wolverine Jr. introduced as being a little bi-curious?  I thought in his initial appearances he was leading on a guy or something like that.

I know next to nothing whatsoever about the character, as the only Marvel books I am reading (since Avengers/Invaders is over) are Captain America and Captain America Reborn, but according to a discussion about him at another board, that seems to be the case.

Another completely stupid thing someone mentioned is that one of his powers is scent glands that he can use to seduce people....and it supposedly can work on straight men. I find that totally laughable.

Apparently an upcoming comic is going to have Bruce Banner (not the Hulk) and Skaar (the Hulk's son) taking on Wolverine and Daken. The picture I've seen has Banner in street clothes (and looking a bit too buff; when did he stop being a beanpole?) standing next to Skaar who is being attacked by Wolverine and Banner is aiming a gun at Daken (whose hand is all that's shown in the picture). Does Banner not turn into the Hulk now, or something?

(I used to be a diehard Marvel Zombie (preferring Marvel titles over DC), but Civil War and its aftermath (ie, all the Dark Reign garbage and the Osborn crap - I really hope he gets killed off again soon) and the One ore Day/Brand New Day thing with Spider-Man has mostly killed my love for Marvel; I want Joe Q, Millar and Bendis gone!)

The only thing I'm waiting to find out outside of the titles I am reading is Rulk's true identity; if it turns out to be
Spoiler
Glen Talbot, like some people suspect
, I may need a barf bucket handy unless he is killed off (not depowered, but deceased!) asap.

Previsionary

Wasn't the identity of Rulky supposed to be revealed in Hulk 600 or one of the following issues? I kinda stopped caring with all the fake-outs.

Talavar, I suppose that's true, but back then, Daken was just using the guy to hurt someone else. Over the past few weeks, the writers have been laying it on thick with the bisexual thing. In fact, I think he slept with a guy a few weeks back, though it wasn't on screen, and in DW 75 and 76, he made passes at both Bullseye and Thing (to intimidate him)... and he also made a pass at Venom. Obviously Daken is very loose and not very picky.
-----------

Anyway, a  preview: Dark X-men #2- We get to learn how Cloak and Dagger (those silly drug addicts/Fraction :P) got into the mix.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: GhostMachine on July 24, 2009, 05:33:06 AM
Another completely stupid thing someone mentioned is that one of his powers is scent glands that he can use to seduce people....and it supposedly can work on straight men. I find that totally laughable.

I hate to be "that" guy but why is that totally laughable in a world where people can turn into diamond or shoot laser beams from their eyes?

Spider-Woman, Stacy X, Enchantress, Murmur and Persuasion all have similar abilities. Do you find it laughable when they use their abilities to seduce/control people? Is it the fact that he is a man who has a pheromone ability (which by the way Purple Man has as well) or is it because Daken uses this ability to seduce fictional straight men?

If anything you should think he was morally corrupt for using this ability in this manner but you should think the same about every character who controls another for whatever reason (Professor X, Emma Frost, Dr Doom, etc, etc, etc).

Courtnall6

"Rulk" :lol:

When did Scooby-Doo start writing for Marvel? Is that his official name or another oh so clever fan made name like "Clor"?
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

murs47

Quote from: Courtnall6 on July 24, 2009, 02:56:01 PM
"Rulk" :lol:

When did Scooby-Doo start writing for Marvel? Is that his official name or another oh so clever fan made name like "Clor"?

Oh Court, you are what the French call "le tre funny."

Tomato

it's a fan name... but given the things I've heard about the run, I wouldn't be surprised if Scooby Doo does show up.

The Hitman

Previsionary

Quote from: The Hitman on July 24, 2009, 04:36:55 PM
Jinkies.

Velma... Velma, is that you? How you been, girly? As for Rulk, I'm pretty sure that name was actually used in a comic at one point in time... and Clor has as well. Maybe I imagined it, but both characters aren't important enough for me to caaaaare. ^_^

The Hitman

Quote from: Previsionary on July 24, 2009, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: The Hitman on July 24, 2009, 04:36:55 PM
Jinkies.
Velma... Velma, is that you? How you been, girly?

Not bad, not bad. How about you, Scrappy-Doo?

AfghanAnt

deano_ue

Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 24, 2009, 10:54:15 PM
Urgh if you thought Rulk was bad...look forward to seeing She-Rulk - http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=cons/cci2009/cupojoe/HULKTHE016_COV.jpg

ok between this and megan fox being favorite to play she-hulk, i just think what the hell

Ares_God_of_War

it is the rapture I tell you! The end of days!
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

Courtnall6

Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 24, 2009, 10:54:15 PM
Urgh if you thought Rulk was bad...look forward to seeing She-Rulk - http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=cons/cci2009/cupojoe/HULKTHE016_COV.jpg

Yup...that's pretty bad. Not sure why the artist bothered to draw any clothes on her at all....I guess there's the comics code...but that hasn't been relevent in years.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

GhostMachine

Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 24, 2009, 02:32:00 PM

I hate to be "that" guy but why is that totally laughable in a world where people can turn into diamond or shoot laser beams from their eyes?

Spider-Woman, Stacy X, Enchantress, Murmur and Persuasion all have similar abilities. Do you find it laughable when they use their abilities to seduce/control people? Is it the fact that he is a man who has a pheromone ability (which by the way Purple Man has as well) or is it because Daken uses this ability to seduce fictional straight men?

If anything you should think he was morally corrupt for using this ability in this manner but you should think the same about every character who controls another for whatever reason (Professor X, Emma Frost, Dr Doom, etc, etc, etc).

I was talking about sexual seduction, not mind control. It doesn't make sense - even as a super power - that someone would be able to seduce someone of the same gender who is not bisexual or homosexual.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: GhostMachine on July 25, 2009, 02:16:29 AM

I was talking about sexual seduction, not mind control. It doesn't make sense - even as a super power - that someone would be able to seduce someone of the same gender who is not bisexual or homosexual.

His power isn't "sexual seducation" it is pheromone control. In fact he can use his pheromones to manipulate the emotional state and sensory perceptions of other beings. Isn't manipulating someone's emotional state and sensory perception mind control? Is it because he is emitting a scent that forces people to compile with his will instead of using telepathy that you draw some difference?

Regardless, the mechanics of the power isn't the issue here. The fact that you accept the power of flight and energy emission but believe that heterosexuals can't be seduced into homosexual sex because of their sexual identity is laughable. Sexual identity is a lot more flexible than you realize even without superpowers being involved.

Talavar

And it's basically the same power as the Purple Man's (though less powerful), because his power is mind control based on pheromones as well.

Podmark

In other news big X-Force story Necrosha was announced. New Mutants and X-Men: Legacy are tying into the story.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22196

Essentially Selene is resurrecting Genosha for some dark purpose. I'm looking forward to it.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Podmark on July 25, 2009, 05:49:34 AM
In other news big X-Force story Necrosha was announced. New Mutants and X-Men: Legacy are tying into the story.

Essentially Selene is resurrecting Genosha for some dark purpose. I'm looking forward to it.

Nercosha is a ghetto baby name.

Previsionary

Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 25, 2009, 12:19:07 PM
Quote from: Podmark on July 25, 2009, 05:49:34 AM

Nercosha is a ghetto baby name.

AA, you're too much sometimes. In other news, I'm tired of X-overs. I thought [the] Avengers were Marvel's hot team at the moment... why do the X-men keep crossing over?

Also of note... Hulk 600 was a giant waste of time and I hope no one here spent 5 bucks on it. If you did, I'm sorry for your wallets.

marhawkman

Hmm.. I like the idea of Necrosha. It gives Selene a real job.

Previsionary

Final review for me this week (month...)

CB&MI13 #15:

The final issue of the series. I put it off as long as I could, but I had to read it and review it. I mean, I only talked about it the majority of the time I got, right? So, last issue, Pete and the team revealed they pulled a fast one on Dracula, Doom gave Dracula a small gift that may or may not help him, and Brian and Faiza were ready to layeth the smack downeth. How will this book conclude? Let?s *sniff* find out, shall we?

Spoiler
Where to start? Let?s pick up with Dracula and the newly introduced ?Glorianna.? Dracula isn?t amused by Doom?s tricks and Baron Blood seems to be freaked out by her very presence. Unfortunately for Dracula, her presence also makes CB break into his base and start a fight. Whatever will happen now?! It doesn?t take long for Dracula and his fleet of space vamps to find out that they?ve been had, as member after member burst into flame. Dracula, and the few remaining vamps left, abandon their plan and retreat to their fortress. Pete anticipated this and unleashes more forces upon Dracula once he arrives there. Not to mention that an Angry Captain Britain is still on his tail. You can consider these extra forces to be unimportant cameos with the likes of Death?s Head, Tangerine, Digitek, and Dark Angel.

Meanwhile, Blade and Union Jack are sneaking into Dracula?s fortress to sabotage his coffins. Baron hides in the shadows and eventually reveals himself. He claims that he only did what he did to get his mother back. Union wants to take Baron back with him, but Blade kills him with no remorse and tells Spitfire via comm. Device. Union Jack is disgusted as Blade and Spitfire?s actions and walks back through the portal he and Blade arrived in.

As Dracula?s plan falls apart, he considers just giving up and dying in battle. No, he?s too strong willed and important for that. He flees and heads for his spacecraft only to run into Dane and Faiza. The sword battle is quick between Dane and Dracula as the vamp comes out on top. This angers Faiza and she, with Excalibur in her hands, charges at Dracula hoping she can end things herself. And she does so with the simplest of ease. Oh, she also manages to heal Dane and we find out his heart is no longer made of stone. True love can flourish!

The war is over. The MI13 pulled through. However, one character had to make a very british compromise (Faiza?s dad), but he?ll pull through. He?ll prosper for his daughter. In fact, the whole team will, and the happiest thought of all is? Meggan is back, and the team is complete.

As a finale issue, this felt very rushed. I know Paul said this is how he wanted it to end, but the sword fighting at the end is a perfect example of how quick certain elements of this issue were. The quality held up, sure, but it was just a bit disappointing in that aspect. We also didn?t get any shots of the team all together. The book ended with the team in pairs of two in different locations. I?m not even going to mention the cameos because, like I said in the review, they were basically pointless. If anything, it was just telling where those characters have been, allowing them to have a chance to be used again elsewhere. I didn?t miss Death?s Head though. So as I come to a conclusion, like this book has, I?m going to rate it a 3. I hope the team is used again whether it be a cameo or a new book, but I?m not going to count on it. If anything, I?m happy Brian finally has his wife back and they?ve both matured into more useful forms.

steamteck

I'm with you as mind control it works as seduction power nope.  Sorry AA but everyone's sexual identity is not as fluid as you think. Just seems another excuse to wallow in perversion anyway.  God I hate modern comics way more than Benton does.

Previsionary

Quote from: steamteck on July 28, 2009, 03:15:38 PM

I'm with you as mind control it works as seduction power nope.  Sorry AA but everyone's sexual identity is not as fluid as you think. Just seems another excuse to wallow in perversion anyway.  God I hate modern comics way more than Benton does.

AA didn't claim "everyone's" sexual identity was in a state of fluidity. He made a very general statement. Also, it's not a seduction power, it's pheromones. He controls pheromones. Manipulating pheromones = manipulating behavior. Regardless, we don't know if he can make all men sleep with him and we don't know the exact sexual identities of the men he HAS slept with. Those are assumptions.

Also, let's keep in mind that Daken has hit on a lot of men now that haven't jumped into bed with him, so it's not that serious. His "PHEROMONE" control has been shown to do more than make men and women weak in the knees for him.

murs47

Pheromone control huh? I wonder how people would react to his farts?

AfghanAnt

I am so glad Prev got what I was saying.

While I respect your beliefs, I'd be lying if I didn't think GhostMachine's and steamteck's reaction were sort of homophobic. The "straight" men Daken has been shown to control are background characters so why there is this whole "no way" reaction seems to be fear. Are you emotionally invested in these straight men? Do you even care about them enough to even know their names? If not, you should really ask yourself why you are rejecting this whole notion other than some scared heterosexual reaction to a big bad homosexual.

Second, why is it a big deal if Daken can control men (whether straight, gay, bi-curious whatever). These men obviously don't have a choice in the matter anymore than a defile victim would. Would you declare the defile victim had some choice in the matter?

I just see this double standard for straight men which sort of annoys me. Starfox practically forces women every time but that's ok because he's straight and it is women he is manipulating? Moondragon rapes Thor but somehow she is still a considered hero? Is heterosexual defile ok and believable but not homosexual?

What if Starfox decided one day, "you know what I want an orgy with Cap, Tony, and Thor"? It would be in the realm of his power according to the Marvel Handbooks so why couldn't he? Would it be laughable? Would you boycott Marvel because of the defile or because your favorite heterosexual heroes are now gay? FYI, they wouldn't be anymore gay than a person would want to be raped.

Mentally or physically controlling someone for sex (defile) has nothing to do with sexuality and neither does Daken's power.

Quote from: murs47 on July 28, 2009, 03:39:13 PM
Pheromone control huh? I wonder how people would react to his farts?

They smell roses.