News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marhawkman

Quote from: Podmark on July 29, 2009, 09:17:27 PM
Quote from: Previsionary on July 29, 2009, 06:42:25 PMIn other news, Pod/AA, Patriot makes a cameo in MUA2... they're coming up in the world!
Yep and Cable is in it, and Madrox, and Speedball Penance! They got some cool characters in the new game. Too bad most will be unplayable.
It needs the real Penance. Though they call her Hollow now.
Quote from: BlueBard on July 29, 2009, 07:58:18 PM
Quote from: Courtnall6 on July 25, 2009, 02:08:29 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on July 24, 2009, 10:54:15 PMUrgh if you thought Rulk was bad...look forward to seeing She-Rulk - http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=cons/cci2009/cupojoe/HULKTHE016_COV.jpg
Yup...that's pretty bad. Not sure why the artist bothered to draw any clothes on her at all....I guess there's the comics code...but that hasn't been relevent in years.
Ugh... Is that supposed to be attractive or sexy?  Who's the artist?  I can't remember the name I'm thinking of, but it looks like the kind of thing he'd draw.  Or at least I hope so... we don't need more than one terrible Marvel artist who can't actually draw.

Bulging he-man biceps NEVER look good on a woman.  (Maybe her power is grossing out people to death.  Or maybe it's the artist's power.)

I can understand torn leather, but I can't understand torn leather looking like THAT.  If you think about it, it's actually obscuring more of her figure than it reveals.

Is that supposed to be a sai in her right hand, or a trident?  A pitchfork would have been more believable with that red skin.  Somebody's got serious size issues.  And why, oh why, would any Hulk-derivative need to carry a gun?
we'll find out soon. In one of the writer commentary things it was mentioned that Shrulk's look was inspired by the Bride of Frankenstein.

BlueBard

Quote from: marhawkman on July 30, 2009, 05:19:57 PM
we'll find out soon. In one of the writer commentary things it was mentioned that Shrulk's look was inspired by the Bride of Frankenstein.

Any guesses on who she'll turn out to be?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Glitch Girl

Squirrel Girl.

What?

I'll be honest, I don't see "Bride of Frankenstein in that.  Lobo's Girlfriend, maybe, but not the Bride.  Did it say what aspect of the Bride they took?  I'm completely missing it otherwise.

(quickie link for image comparison)
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

thalaw2

OMG!  I'm gonna hurl!  Enough with this red hulk business already!  HULK is green! 

What's next?  Red money? In America? 
革命不会被电视转播

marhawkman

Mostly the outfit and hair.

I don't really know enough to make a guess who she is.

Previsionary

Quote from: thalaw2 on July 30, 2009, 06:27:51 PM
OMG!  I'm gonna hurl!  Enough with this red hulk business already!  HULK is green!  

What's next?  Red money? In America?  

Don't be silly. No way that'll happen! *pockets red money*
------

She-hulk got a worse deal than Hulk ever did. Not only was her book canceled (again), but she's been replaced by derivatives twice in the same year only a few months apart and she's going off grid. Not only that, rumor is that she's in the lead for one of the Hulk's cast members "dying." Jen Walters, 2009 has not been good for you.
Disappear when you least expe--

deano_ue

Quote from: Previsionary on July 30, 2009, 04:21:41 PM
Spoiler
the only thing that does effectively is lower Doom's threat level... and I wouldnt be surprised if it was a doombot. Easy retcon.

UE, did Loeb ever expand on Rick Jones and the Watchers randomly appearing? I know I shouldn't expect that he did anything with his own continuity, but... I want to be somewhat optimistic... and did "lovely" Zarda reappear? No? Par the course.

i didn't read it i only flicked through it

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on July 30, 2009, 06:34:38 PM
Quote from: thalaw2 on July 30, 2009, 06:27:51 PM
OMG!  I'm gonna hurl!  Enough with this red hulk business already!  HULK is green! 

What's next?  Red money? In America? 

Don't be silly. No way that'll happen! *pockets red money*
------

She-hulk got a worse deal than Hulk ever did. Not only was her book canceled (again), but she's been replaced by derivatives twice in the same year only a few months apart and she's going off grid. Not only that, rumor is that she's in the lead for one of the Hulk's cast members "dying." Jen Walters, 2009 has not been good for you.

No way!? They better kill Doc Samson or something. Even Rick could kick the bucket and I'd be fine with it.

Anyone read, DR: Young Avengers 3 yet. If so can you explain to me what I just read?

Also what the heck is going on in X-Men Forever (I am the reason CC stays in business. I hate his writing but I end up buying at least a few issues of his comics)?

Previsionary

X-men Forever #4:

I originally thought this book was tolerable especially since Claremont stopped doing his LOOOONG caption thing and the "telling + showing" nonsense that annoyed me in Exiles. However, from what I browsed of this issue, I'm kinda glad I didn't buy it because it's slowly heading into convoluted town. Apparently:

Spoiler

• Kitty now has one of Wolverine's claws and it's fully functional. How she obtained it? Her interaction with Cortez, which also cleared up Rogue's head space.
  • Storm seems to be evil, but wait! There's also a younger storm who happens to be the real version that knows Gambit.
  • Sabretooth is Wolverine's father, but no one seems to be picking up on this fact this issue.
  • Kitty and Jean have tension for some reason.
  • Everyone continues to announce their every movement and feeling.

Apparently a lot of this will be touched on in the next few issues, but... I can't help but have my doubts with Claremont. Hopefully it ends up better than I'm expecting it to.

DR: Young Avengers #3
:

Spoiler

• The Young Avengers test the DR: Y. Avengers and see if they're really worthy of holding the title
  • Some of them pass, others fail. Speed is still attracted to Coat of Arms.
  • The YA have a meeting (JLA first arc style) and determine which members of the DR:YA are worthy of joining them
  • Kate reveals that Executioner knows her ID and that puts a damper on their plan to judge the derivative team
  • Executioner doesn't reveal Kate's name to his team, but they feel confident they'll be a part of the YA
  • Executioner is met by his mother, Python Princess, who inquires about his relationship with Kate
  • Norman is revealed to be keeping a watch on all the YA/DR:YA

This book reads ok to me, but I think it has too many characters for a miniseries. 13 active characters + supporting? I don't think you can make that many characters interesting in only 23 pages of story. It's different in longer term stories because you can build it up over years, miniseries... not so much. However, I was impressed by some of the interactions and some of the positions the YA were put in... especially Vision's position. Though, in general, I like it when characters have to work out internal/psychological issues over bare-bone fighting, but hey, that's me. I'd rate the issue a 3 just to be in a safe zone.

Speaking of comics, why don't some of you guys mosey on over to this thread and read the Ultimate Trio script?

Podmark

Oh Ultimatum, how awful you are. And I'll bet ya it was a top seller.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Did anyone read any of Mark Millar's run on Fan4? How about Fan4 #569? Let me just say that I was very disappointed in his run (from the parts I read) and his final issue (which he and Hitch didn't even work on outside of outlines) was a major case of, "what the heck is this." It just doesn't mesh with anything that's going on at the moment. Another example of "this is what happens when you give someone too much space and don't 'edit'/'guide' them."

I think I would like this issue "a bit" more if it didn't also serve as a marriage issue, which also introduced its own set of problems.

marhawkman

I especially hated that bit about the guys from the future.

Deaths Jester

What the 'ell?  Dark Reign: Young Avengers?  Who are the new team members supposed to be?  Man, Marvel has really screwed up lately.  Okay, that's all I'm saying...now I shall leave this alone...for now!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

thalaw2

Since I'm back in the US for the next month I went to check out my local comic shop...I didn't know what Marvel title to buy....  I need to read this thread more carefully.  My fav marvel mag, The Incredible HULK, has turned to crap since I last read it.  I also picked up HULK #12.

Spoiler
Rulk manages to kill the Hulk, Thoraxx, and Silver Surfer.  Rulk says he can absorb gamma energy, but developed a taste for cosmic.  Then he tried to take on Galactus, but got served up...easily my favorite part of the story.  Then the Elders restored everyone he killed and he got mad and killed an Immortal Elder who can't be resurrected...hmmm.  I was thinking Rulk might be Thanos until he took on Galactus.  Thanos knows better than to believe that absorbing the power of heralds would allow him to have enough strength to even make the Big G blink.

I didn't touch any of the X comics because it's too much of a mess for me to make any attempt at getting back into it.
革命不会被电视转播

Deaths Jester

Rulk is actually Quesada!  I mean, who else believes he has that much energy to take on the Big G?
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

GhostMachine

Joe Quesada actually has me wishing Bill Jemas was still in charge of Marvel. I like Joe Q as an artist, and I guess he's okay as a writer, but as EIC, he sucks more than the suckiest suck who ever sucked at sucking.

Previsionary

Captain America Reborn #2 came out this week. Anyone grab it and wanna review it? I, personally, thought it was much better than issue 1 and the whole, "Steve is lost in time," is much more explicitly stated this time around for those that doubted/questioned it. But you know, I have one minor problem with this arc, and it applies to Marvel and DC in general. I can't place when this takes place in comparison to Thunderbolts. If you're reading that story, you know Natasha is also active there, as well as being semi-active in New Avengers, which itself seems to be taking place in the past. I kinda miss the days when Marvel actively acknowledged continuity and would keep character appearances low, or at the very least, they would explain when everything was taking place.

Psylocke fans, all 3 of you, Kyle and Yost expand on the upcoming Psylocke mini. Apparently she's the ninja Jean now since she has her TP back + TK.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22418

QuotePsylocke always relies on her psi-knife instead of using other aspects of her psi-powers. Now that she's a telepath again as well as a telekinetic (not to mention her ninja skills), can we expect her to use her abilities in more creative ways?

YOST: In the upcoming ?Psylocke? miniseries, she?s going to be using her telepathy, her telekinesis, and two katana swords to get the job done. So you?re definitely going to see a wide range of abilities and use of those abilities coming up.

Some necrosha and other x-men news is there as well.

Also: http://psylocke-butterfly.blogspot.com/2009/08/dark-avengersuncanny-x-men-exodus-first.html

How will the crossover between X-men/Dark Avengers end? Do you care?! What if I tell you it's an action heavy, melee battle? Still nothing? Well... I tried. :P

murs47

Prev, I think you're the only Psylocke fan in the world. I'm pretty sure Yost is gonna ask you to write the forward for the TPB.

Previsionary

AA likes her, so shut your FAT mouth and go back to perusing "Mayhem" by Tyrese. Also, it's foreword. OH SNAP! ^^

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on August 06, 2009, 03:09:34 PM
...so shut your FAT mouth and...

Are you calling my orifice obese? :mellow:

Previsionary

marhawkman

In otherwords I was right. When redefining her new powerset they went with all of the above....

Oh well.

I like her anyways.

I'm really diggin the preview for Xmen vs Dark Avengers. Much butt kicking, and coming from some really unexpected characters.

Previsionary

Ultimate verse relaunches today, anyone gonna check it out? Also, Dark X-men will survive past this crossover in another mini-series and Paul Cornell will be writing it!

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22476

And guess who's returning to comic pages. Could it be... Nate Grey? Indeed it is.

marhawkman

this sounds like it'll be amusing. especially if they have a reunion of the entire Summers family. :)

Zippo

I want Nate to either beat up the Sentry, or at least make him less of a tool (y'know, with his mind and stuff...)

GhostMachine

I want Sentry and Red Hulk to beat each other to death.  :thumbup:

thanoson

Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

steamteck

Quote from: GhostMachine on August 12, 2009, 06:16:04 PM

Works for me.

Previsionary

Quote from: GhostMachine on August 12, 2009, 06:16:04 PM

With the way Sentry has been handled since WWH, I doubt Sentry could beat a fly unless he thought it'd please Norman. Of recent, he's had his butt kicked a lot, not by pure power, but by everyone out-thinking him, and this includes Hercules. :P

Quote from: thanoson on August 12, 2009, 09:30:08 PM
Have they fought yet?

Nope. Kinda surprising really.

I'll "try" to add some reviews here later.

Talavar

The Sentry really needs to be taken out of play for a good chunk of time - he needs to forget his powers again, or go off into space, or something, because all he is now is a plot device.