News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deano_ue

agreed i read the new spidey with one half thinking wow black cat is a tramp, and the other half think peter parker has no right to moan about girlfriend troubles

Podmark

So my comic shop had a half-off sale this week and I picked up the Utopia story arc. I liked it, it's really good Cyclops story I think, and I'm a fan of the X-Men moving to an island. Also to my surprise I actually like Namor as an X-Men. It's the context really, having a King on your team when you start up your own mutant nation just works. Plus Cyclops, Emma, Namor, Charles, Magneto and Storm in the same room has just got to be good.

I give the complete story a 4/5

Also found this on the CBR board:

Presumably it's for the Messiah story conclusion crossover.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Are they finally going to reveal her to be Jean Grey?

Podmark

Quote from: AfghanAnt on October 12, 2009, 12:42:42 PM
Are they finally going to reveal her to be Jean Grey?

Please we're still 5 years away from that at least.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Is there anyone who thinks she's not Jean Grey at this point?

Previsionary

I'm sure I would care more about Hope if the X-men acted as if she were still important outside of crossovers and certain storylines, and I guess Cable's book being so bad helps with my non-caring. At least she's a teenager (pre-teen?) now, so it's almost over!

Astonishing X-men #31 - "How it takes 22 pages to catch a falling space craft" (2)

Spoiler
This issue of X-men was very weak to me. Not only did barely anything happen, but I don't think it needed 22 pages for nothing TO happen. I feel like I'm constantly giving Ellis a chance to entice me... to bring me into his world... but he keeps letting me down, packing my bags, and forcing me out onto the street. Anyway, this issue revolved around Agent Brand going into space with her team and fighting with the Brood for some reason that wasn't revealed in this issue. It's a setup, so no one should be expecting one this soon. During the course of the first few pages, Brand is stuck on her own, her spacecraft encounters problems, and she's left in her escape craft, halfway across the earth (conveniently in San Fran), and heading for a collision course with Mother Earth. It's up to the X-men (mostly Storm, Emma, and Beast with a side of Wolverine and Armor [who I didn't even know was on the ship until she jumped out...] to save the day.) Oddly enough, even though all the Astonishing X-men showed up, this was totally a Emma/Storm/Beast/Brand show. And I'll be mighty happy when Ellis finally gets a lock on Storm and stops making her so eager to please/tease Scott.

At this point, I really think Ellis needs to be dropped from the book. His constant sci-fi (and heavily realistic... as far as one can take that) take on the characters doesn't really fit the X-men. IIRC, space/science + X-men = disliked by most X-fans. Now, if Ellis was doing... Fan 4, I'd jump on it because it fits his elements a heckuva lot better than Astonishing. Oh, hey... give Ellis a book with the X-men currently out in space and maybe he can make it work!
Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

Marvel has announced a bunch of stuff for the Diamond Summit.

New Ultimates by Jeph Loeb and Frank Cho.

X-Men Second Coming a crossover of Uncanny X-Men, X-Force, New Mutants, and X-Men: Legacy.

Ultimate X by Jeph Loeb and Arthur Adams.

Doomwar by Jonathan Maberry.

Siege by Brian Bendis and Olivier Coipel.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

How does Jeph Loeb keep getting work?

Podmark

Quote from: Talavar on October 13, 2009, 03:50:35 AM
How does Jeph Loeb keep getting work?

By being one of the top selling writers every month.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

It's crazy, but true.

Anywho, I'm actually looking forward to Siege. Possibly Doomwar too if a certain someone isn't writing Deadpool's appearances in it. <_<

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on October 13, 2009, 04:18:43 AM
It's crazy, but true.

Anywho, I'm actually looking forward to Siege. Possibly Doomwar too if a certain someone isn't writing Deadpool's appearances in it. <_<

I'm not really a Bendis fan but Siege is interesting me too. Second Coming is the one that interests me most though.

Murs, Doomwar seems to be a single 5 issue mini, so Deadpool will presumably only be written by Maberry.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Ultimate X by Loeb? Really? The guy that basically removed 80% of the cast gets to write it? Pass. Pod... stop bringing bad news to me. What are you? A harbinger?

*attacks Pod with a bazooka*

Also, he doesn't top the list every month! Red Hulk rarely comes out on time for it to be every month! Maybe every other month... when an event isn't going on. Yeah.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on October 12, 2009, 07:55:39 PM
I'm sure I would care more about Hope if the X-men acted as if she were still important outside of crossovers and certain storylines, and I guess Cable's book being so bad helps with my non-caring. At least she's a teenager (pre-teen?) now, so it's almost over!

Astonishing X-men #31 - "How it takes 22 pages to catch a falling space craft" (2)

Spoiler
This issue of X-men was very weak to me. Not only did barely anything happen, but I don't think it needed 22 pages for nothing TO happen. I feel like I'm constantly giving Ellis a chance to entice me... to bring me into his world... but he keeps letting me down, packing my bags, and forcing me out onto the street. Anyway, this issue revolved around Agent Brand going into space with her team and fighting with the Brood for some reason that wasn't revealed in this issue. It's a setup, so no one should be expecting one this soon. During the course of the first few pages, Brand is stuck on her own, her spacecraft encounters problems, and she's left in her escape craft, halfway across the earth (conveniently in San Fran), and heading for a collision course with Mother Earth. It's up to the X-men (mostly Storm, Emma, and Beast with a side of Wolverine and Armor [who I didn't even know was on the ship until she jumped out...] to save the day.) Oddly enough, even though all the Astonishing X-men showed up, this was totally a Emma/Storm/Beast/Brand show. And I'll be mighty happy when Ellis finally gets a lock on Storm and stops making her so eager to please/tease Scott.

At this point, I really think Ellis needs to be dropped from the book. His constant sci-fi (and heavily realistic... as far as one can take that) take on the characters doesn't really fit the X-men. IIRC, space/science + X-men = disliked by most X-fans. Now, if Ellis was doing... Fan 4, I'd jump on it because it fits his elements a heckuva lot better than Astonishing. Oh, hey... give Ellis a book with the X-men currently out in space and maybe he can make it work!

But the art was astonishing, Prev!

Also there is a link to the promo trailer for the SIEGE

deano_ue

seriously i look at my shelves and one has the whole line of ult spidey,x-men and ultimates. and i think how in the hell do you take one of the biggest success's and turn it into pure 100% bullcrap

marhawkman

Ultimates was good at some point?

Anyways, I read the latest F4 and..... teh weirdness.  On a highnote it gave me a reason to get out my Skrull Language translator: http://marhawkman.deviantart.com/gallery/

On a low note.... the council of Reeds is starting to get a bit old.  They really act like they think they CAN fix everything that's wrong in the Multiverse (Hello Exiles!)

On a weird note,  the Celestials stop by for a visit. :)

murs47

Quote from: marhawkman on October 13, 2009, 09:09:16 PM

More than good...amazing!

Quotethe council of Reeds is starting to get a bit old

It's only been two issues...lol.

marhawkman

Actually they've had some foreshadowing of this since before Civil War.

Previsionary

Actually, I'm fairly sure the "Council of Reeds" or something very similar to it has already been done in the fan4 core book years earlier (maybe the 90s?). But more than one of Reed can make it seem like it's lasting longer than it actually is. :P.

MURS, DP got a new X-costume in Waypool. You should skin that. You know you miss DP.

Spoiler

* If you skin this... I might kill you. Horribly.

Previsionary

Some very intersting quotes I found on CBR:

Quote from: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23267Bendis' future plans mostly involve death, including the deaths of Luke Cage in "New Avengers" #60 and the Sentry in "Dark Avengers" #13--though his comment that Spider-Woman would die in the fifth issue of her own series made it pretty clear that he was kidding about these plans.

Parker reminded the audience that beyond working on "Agents of Atlas," he'd be taking over the monthly "Thunderbolts" title from newly appointed "Daredevil" writer Andy Diggle.

Sankovitch, the only non-writer on the panel, stressed that readers should look into two of the books she's currently editing: the "Nomad: Girl Without a World" miniseries written by Sean McKeever, and the upcoming "Strange" by Mark Waid and Emma Rios. "These are some of the most beautiful pages I've seen in a long time," she said of Stephen Strange's upcoming miniseries. "If you love Dr. Strange and need some Dr. Strange loving, this is the book for you."

Aaron revealed that "Wolverine: Weapon X" would introduce a new villain in an upcoming arc that is essentially Wolverine's version of the Joker, "in that he likes to cut people's brains out and do weird things with them." He also promoted his upcoming work on "PunisherMAX" alongside artist Steve Dillon.

Color me intrigued, Marvel.

AfghanAnt

They better not kill Luke Cage.

Podmark

Quote from: AfghanAnt on October 14, 2009, 12:35:41 AM
They better not kill Luke Cage.

I don't believe it for a moment. Maybe if Bendis was getting ready to quit Avengers...and Marvel in general.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Silver Shocker

Quote from: murs47 on October 13, 2009, 09:30:22 PM
Quote from: marhawkman on October 13, 2009, 09:09:16 PM

More than good...amazing!

I second that. Ultimates by Miller is awesome. If any book was the black sheep of the family (of the books mentioned by TUE), it was Ultimate X-Men. It started out decent, but the quality dipped due to repeatedly changing writers. Can't comment on Ultimate FF though.

Did anyone watch the Siege trailer that was shown at Baltimore? It ends with a shot of a Cap/Iron Man/Thor statue marked with a birth and death date: "1963-2010". Implying that the trio are going to die in the storyline. Comics are known for misdirection though, and this kinda reeks of it. But I sure hope they don't kill them. Cap and Thor just came back. Killing them again would be...lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJsXuWWf-wQ&
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

marhawkman

Quote from: Previsionary on October 13, 2009, 10:32:34 PM* If you skin this... I might kill you. Horribly.
I'm sure that if it lasts more than 1 issue it'll get it. :)

Previsionary

Inc. Hercules #136 - "How 'Thorcules vs. Hercuthor' went down dirtily" (4):

I'm not going to go much into this as this was a 3 part story that alternated with Amadeus Cho's 3 part story as well. Just know it was an awesome conclusion to the storyline. The fight scenes between Herc and Thor was both amusing and mildly funny, and I found it very interesting that Pak/Lente chose to even make Thor humorous in some of his dialogue and actions. I mean, everyone knows Herc is a dirty fighter... but who knew Thor could throw down when he wanted to. If you're still not picking up this series, do yourself a favor and trade it.

lugaru

Incredible Hercules has been a hard rocking series, who knew? I started reading it on Marvel.com and finally broke down and started picking up issues now that I've got a nearby comic shop. In general I'm catching up with my marvel series, and I'm loving Dark Reign. Pirate copy avengers assemble!

(I'm a little shocked that Taskmaster did not end up being a dark avenger, but that may have been too obvious).

Podmark

Quote from: lugaru on October 19, 2009, 05:54:10 AM
(I'm a little shocked that Taskmaster did not end up being a dark avenger, but that may have been too obvious).

Taskmaster will become a member of Norman's Cabal in a few months.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23398

yost and kyle are leaving x-force

QQ dew dew mew mew but no pew pew

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on October 22, 2009, 02:58:41 AM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23398

yost and kyle are leaving x-force

QQ dew dew mew mew but no pew pew

Yeah I saw that back when Second Coming was announced. Should have mentioned it.
I'm really disappointed that they're leaving, but I'm still hopeful they'll be doing something else in the X-Verse, maybe Uncanny. 
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

deano_ue

did i miss something the last time i saw sentry
Spoiler
his wife shot him and he died
but in the new dark avengers everyone is fine

AfghanAnt

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on October 22, 2009, 03:22:43 PM
did i miss something the last time i saw sentry
Spoiler