Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murs47

So...
Spoiler
...Steve is back. But he's dressed as an agent of SHIELD or something and Bucky is still Cap. Interesting indeed.

Previsionary

know what else is interesting, Murs?

Spoiler
Norman is losing it more than ever and has resorted to talking to his alter ego, who has informed him that he needs to do something about Thor and the other Asgardians. This leads to Norman calling a meeting between his cabal and turning his back on Namor and Emma. Norman then COMMANDS Doom to hand over Namor. This obviously doesn't go well, but Loki is enjoying every minute. Norman uses his secret weapon on Doom... twice... and it's revealed that Doom is actually a DOOMBOT that was sent as part of a trap. A trap so deadly that it kills several agents and weakens Norman's armor significantly. Norman only survives thanks to Sentry. In the aftermath, Norman ends his alliance with Doom and teams up with Loki to get rid of Thor and the Asgardians by staging an event very similar to the Stanford (Civil War) incident... and that sets up... THE SIEGE!

Know what wasn't so interesting?

Spoiler
The X-force annual written by Robert Kirkman. Seeing his name on an X-man book will CONTINUE to worry me until he makes up for his Ultimate story. In X-force the annual, Wolverine (and the other X-forcers minus Rahne) raid a Hydra base in an effort to kidnap a general. Why? Because he has a daughter and he's the perfect blood donor for said dying daughter that his EX never told him about. That's the whole story in a nutshell. This issue is also very low on the blood and much brighter than the other 20 issues of X-force, so it's a bit jarring.

HOWEVER, the Deadpool story by Yost and Kyle was great. Following up on Way's storyline where he put DP on the X-men, DP is playing around in Loa's room when he hears a cry for help. Coincidentally, it's Loa and she's under attack by some dead acolytes who are looking for the Gray King, aka Magneto. Deadpool leaps into action to save Loa, but tries his "best" not to kill anyone. When he learns the Acolytes can't be killed... he runs off and gets more weapons. 20 minutes later, DP is overwhelmed and Loa comes to his rescue... unfortunately for her. The girl... has "flipped." Or that's ONE side of the story.

Disappear when you least expe--

Podmark

I skipped the X-Force Annual, seemed pointless, but the backup looks fun. Might get the issue in a sale one day.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Zippo

Anybody read the Dark X-men annual?
Spoiler
Personally, I loved it. Being a big fan of Noh-Varr, this book was a huuuuuuuge relief. When he was put on the dark avengers in the first place people worried that they would mischaracterize him, then he ended up being (seemingly) forgotten about entirely. IMO, this is exactly how Varr should be written. Highly intelligent, but humbled by the fact that he knows nothing about earth and humans, and at the same time a huge badarse who doesn't show any fear when taking on the sentry.
Anyway, I'm excited that it seems to be setting him up for more frequent use, as well as the fact that the good guys finally get some more big guns. Not at all stoked on his new costume though, and slightly worried that he'll abandon his awesome hand-hand abilities in favour of using his new nega-bands.

Previsionary

I think you mean Dark Avengers, no, Zippo (Murs talked about it above)? Marvel boy causes somewhat of a minor split in his fanbase. People that like his initial characterization under Grant don't so much care for what he became in normal marvel continuity via Bendis (and it's never really been a stable characterization until probably recently... and that's not even true because of how different Marvel boy was in Wolverine: The List, which harkened back to Grant's take).

But anyway, I would advise people not to read Dark Avengers Annual until after Captain America Reborn ends. The Annual kinda kills some suspense.

AfghanAnt

I hate Marvel Boy's new costume. Just ugly.

murs47

Quote from: AfghanAnt on December 05, 2009, 03:40:54 AM
I hate Marvel Boy's new costume. Just ugly.

ya, the person(s) that approved it at Marvel should be slapped.

GhostMachine

Where can I see a picture of this new costume?

Previsionary

Quote from: GhostMachine on December 05, 2009, 11:26:32 AM

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3713/daa101026.jpg - best description I've heard for this costume, "He looks like space ghost if he was redesigned for the DCAU."

deano_ue

Quote from: Previsionary on December 05, 2009, 03:27:50 AM

But anyway, I would advise people not to read Dark Avengers Annual until after Captain America Reborn ends. The Annual kinda kills some suspense.

i've gave up trying to keep stories in order, with this now, and the way dc have blackest night every where. it's not worth the hassle

udasu

DC and Marvel are both pushing the 'unbelievable' and 'uncomfortable' envelope for me. Bendis and Johns are getting on my nerves with their 'keep it all in flux for 3 years' storylines.

Spoiler

As a cap fan, I just want him back already. Bucky's outfit is cool, but come on, Steve an agent of shield? It's almost a USAgent storyline again.

GhostMachine

Quote from: Previsionary on December 05, 2009, 01:17:18 PM
Quote from: GhostMachine on December 05, 2009, 11:26:32 AM

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3713/daa101026.jpg - best description I've heard for this costume, "He looks like space ghost if he was redesigned for the DCAU."

Ugh. It also looks like something that would have been designed in the 90's. With a different mask and belt buckle and a different color scheme it might not look as bad.....but would still suck.

GhostMachine

Quote from: udasu on December 05, 2009, 02:39:13 PM
DC and Marvel are both pushing the 'unbelievable' and 'uncomfortable' envelope for me. Bendis and Johns are getting on my nerves with their 'keep it all in flux for 3 years' storylines.

Spoiler

As a cap fan, I just want him back already. Bucky's outfit is cool, but come on, Steve an agent of shield? It's almost a USAgent storyline again.

Is Reborn over yet? Picked up my comics last week, and the one with the cliffhanger involving the Red Skull
Spoiler
in Steve's body
was the only issue I got.

(Apologies for the double post)

Previsionary

No, Reborn has one more issue to go. It comes out on Dec. 16th... 2 weeks from now.

marhawkman

Yeah, Reborn probably ends with Cap and Skull duking it out inside Cap's mind for control of the body.  Skull loses.... Probably.

Previsionary

10 page preview of Nation X#1 starring Colossus, Wolverine, and Nightcrawler... aka The All New, All Different (and All Male) X-men! Oh, the New new X-men as well. It's sad to say that Magneto hasn't been written in a great light since X-men Legacy... a book many found boring during Xavier's run. It's even sadder to say that Iceman has restarted his ever-lasting loop and has lost all his development from Carey's run... but he is written by Chris Yost, so it can't possibly be that bad, can it?

I just hope that this anthology series fares much better than "Manifest Destiny" did.

detourne_me

not too shabby prev.  BTW you can never go wrong with an Allred piece ;)

Podmark

Hey look on the bright side, this month Legacy starts a new arc with Magneto onboard. Carey written Magneto - yay!

The Nation X preview looked alright...alright I'll admit it I'm just a sucker for the New X-Men. I doubt I'll pick it up but I'm interested with what happens in it.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

murs47

kinda liked the mag + kids part

Silver Shocker

I really disliked Iceman's personality in that preview. Especially when he basically tells the New X-Men kids "You suck, you'll be never be as good as me and the 'real X-Men'". Even in Kyle & Yost's run of New X-Men where the X-Men came off as negatively portrayed authority figures with that classic "adults can't do anything right, it's up to us" theme, the senior X-Men weren't INTENTIONALLY antagonistic.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

There's a preview of Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth at Marvel.com featuring the debut of Lady Deadpool

That page of Liefeld art is probably some of the best art I've ever seen Liefeld do. It's still undeniably Liefeld and the backgrounds are blatantly photoshopped but it's not nearly as bad as most of the work I've seen by him.  
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Previsionary

Ugh. DP: merc with a mouth is literally the worst deadpool book on the stands. Even gimmicky DP teamup 898 and 899 are better. But yes... that art is ok for Liefield. He wasn't all too bad in DP 900 either, even though all his trademarks keep showing up such as awkward anatomy/poses.

thalaw2

"Lady Deadpool" - I think I'm gonna be sick.  In this day and age isn't it insulting to use women like this?
革命不会被电视转播

thanoson

Lady Deadpool? BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!! That is horrible. Exactly why is Cap fighting them both out above the clouds? When I look at her, I just think of all the other image bad girls he ever drew. It's all of them with just different color pallets. Oh, anybody notice that Cap changes shield arm twice in that?
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

marhawkman

Yeah, it shows the shield on his left arm in panel 2 and on his right in the rest.

Meh. This would actually look worse I think: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellechere/4067815442/

And that is a real person in a costume.

Previsionary

Ok, I admit it... Nation X was much better than the previews led me to believe. With that said, it was still completely average and had voice issues. I feel like I'm really losing my connection to all these characters, and it kinda worries me, considering that the X-men are my go-to fave characters the majority of the time.

1. Magneto story (2)

Spoiler
The New X-men come running to the X-men to warn them that Mercury was kidnapped by a ghost. None of the X-men (Wolverine and Iceman) believe the kids, but Magneto tags along. The New X-men don't completely trust Magneto despite him telling them that they can. In the cave where Mercury was lost, old sentinels attack the kids and Magneto refuses to help... that is until they turn on him. Magneto makes very quick work of the sentinels and discovers what the ghost actually was... an old image recording of him.

2. Nightcrawler and Wolverine (2)

Spoiler
This story is mostly a major buddy rump. With quick cuts of the two best friends traveling back to San Fran after retrieving a generous donation from someone, the X-buds discuss who's hotter Asian/English Psylocke or Domino, who's Paul Bunyan, and other random stuffage. The meat of the story, and even some humor, comes from the scene where Nightcrawler questions whether or not the X-men are doing the right thing in teaming up with Magneto and living on the island. Wolverine sticks up for Cyclops's decisions and NC wonders if Wolverine has lost his mind.

3. Iceman (2.5)

Spoiler
In this story, Iceman comes off as a major jerk bag. When Toad and some other random mutants I didn't particularly care about show up asking for some conference time with Scott, Iceman quickly takes care of them by giving them hypothermia. He then spends the rest of his portion pointing out his schedule, which includes picking on Namor, messing with the New X-men, hitting on women, and going to bed. The meat of this story comes from the portion where Iceman meets up with an old female villain named Stinger who wants some reassurance that mutant kind, and Nation X, will be ok. Instead of doing the sensible thing, Iceman makes an inopportune jokes and this leads to Wendy/Stinger running off and kidnapping one of Hank's science clubs friends (Dr. Rao?). During a standoff with Dr. Nemesis, Magma, and Sunspot, Stinger requests that Iceman come to her and bring her the blackbird. Iceman does go to her, but instead of bringing the blackbird, Bobby decides to do the mature thing and reassure the baddy that everyone will be ok. Iceman then reveals that he jokes around because Hank and Scott are doing all the hard work, Warren isn't himself, and Jean is dead. He thinks everyone prefers he lightens the mood rather than admit his true feelings... that maybe this really is the end of days for mutants.

4. Colossus (2)

Spoiler
This portion is probably the most direct the whole way through because it's a story Colossus has been through at least 5 times now since Kitty has died. Colossus is working on an art project somewhere on Nation X. Moments later, Illyana appears to him and asks for his help. Colossus quickly agrees and finds himself helping the New Mutants learn how to use a tractor. Colossus uses this time to try and reach out to Illyana by constantly referring to their past. This annoys Illyana very much. At the end of the book, Illyana tells Colossus that he needs to let go of the past and work on his present and future before teleporting away. Colossus then looks at his project (a giant X with all the dead X-men's names on it, including Kitty) and comes to agree with Magik.

I know I rated everything a 2, but it really was quite an average read. It's 3-worthy at best when taken as a whole and not individual parts. No story stands out at all as being strong, and you can really tell these are all "missing character beats" that aren't being explored in Uncanny, Astonishing, or Legacy. Honestly, these anthology books for every big change in the X-men universe (2 a year) aren't cutting it because the concepts aren't strong enough. Instead of giving us more insight, it just feels very cookie cutter and a splash back of things readers have already stated. Nothing felt new or intriguing at all, and I'm really tired of Colossus's story now. Speaking of Colossus, I'm fairly sure his tattoo disappeared. I can't say that's a bad thing. Anyway, Jubilee is on the cover for next issue, so I may browse issue 2 for her.

Silver Shocker

I have a serious problem with the Magento story. I also have an important question (two actually) about the Iceman story.

Magneto:

The X-Men ignore the kids when they say Mercury has gone missing in the caves?  So they're not even going to try to find her? (albeit the kids didn't come very believable. "the ghost got her" is something a 4 year old might say, not a teenager). This is exactly the same as when the X-Men brushed off the kids theory about Nimrod and then went off to a wedding when there were terrorists directly targeting the kids, who'd killed more than half of them. In both versions, it wasn't simply a matter of not believing them, it was negligence.

Iceman:
Spoiler
To Pre, or whoever else has read the story and can shime in:

1. Is Iceman's monologue about his "schedule" in the preview pages something he's saying to himself, or someone else?
2. When Iceman reveals that he's just acting like a jerk, is he telling someone else, or is this a internal monologue?
~Rocky Balboa

Previsionary

Iceman:

The parts in captions are to himself. He never lets anyone else know what he really thinks. He just continues the brave/jokey front while actually hating the situation he's in. It kinda contrasts a bit with how Fraction writes him, but not going down that route today... for once. :P

Silver Shocker

That doesn't make sense though. If the parts in caption boxes are Iceman talking to himself, why is he all like "Life is great, I'm so awesome, I'm gonna hit on the hot girl and give the kids a hard time, and give Namor a hard time, I love myself" and then later on be like "Oh, I don't WANT to act like this, but I have to, it's for everybody's sake". That kinda story kinda falls apart if we already hear what Iceman's thinking in his head, and on the inside he came off just as bad (worse even) than he was outwardly.

[edit: I just wanted to add, I was thinking about it, and I came to a realization. This story would have worked much better as a Hellion story than as an Iceman story.  Hellion actually acted like a bully in his early appearances, and even as time went on and he got along better with the other characters he still kept some of his edge. It woulda been more believable than Iceman, whose been shown multiple times to be more mature/nicer than this.]
~Rocky Balboa

Previsionary

Let's jump off X-men and go to New Avengers annual for a bit. Did anyone read that? I've heard rumblings that Bendis once again jumped ahead of Captain America Reborn and...

Spoiler
had Steve, in a maskless Capt costume, appear to the New Avengers after they rescued Clint from Norman.

If that's true, it's worse than the Spider-woman early reveal that Loeb did during Secret Invasion. And I'll just assume this takes place before the big reveal in DA Annual because of Bucky's response.

[edit] Seems Inv. Ironman 21 also spoils Captain America Reborn... ya know, they could've just had the final issue come out a bit earlier instead of having three books with three different timelines basically tell us the outcome.

Spoiler
So, my makeshift timeline for all of this is shaping out like so: Captain America, Captain America Reborn storyline, NA Annual #3, Iron Man, Dark Avengers, The Siege