News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Cap Reborn was supposed to be over by now but got an extra issue, and of course you can't rush Bryan Hitch - you're lucky if he runs on time at all.
The real problem is Siege though, as Cap has a core role in it and Marvel didn't want to delay all the many books connected to it.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

udasu

Seems a bit anticlimactic, but

Spoiler
At least Cap's back.

BWPS

Spider-Man is such a ridiculous book. I've been reading some of the issues since BND up to around 570 and I really don't know why, it's in its own class of stupid. I'd really rather instead of 3 issues a month having 1 halfway-decent issue a month. The terrible reboot did offer a great chance to make the book awesome, but they must have found the three worst writers ever. Peter just seems so stupid and annoying. The worst is that they just keep coming up with new villains and it's just agonizingly lame.
Menace *Is a new goblin but I think she's a GIRL? Why not just bring back hobgoblin?
Freak *Is a drug addict who turns into a giant beast from animal DNA or something. Every time he dies he comes back immune to what killed him for example bullets. So he's big and stupid and loves drugs and isn't much of anything else.
Mr. Negative Man * he's literally just a crime boss/charity worker with a photoshop filter and some kind of negative powers that cure cancer?
Overdrive *The worst of the worst. He transforms vehicles into "pimped-out" versions so they grow rockets and stuff to go fast I hate it so much. Why not bring back Rocket Racer? Despite the terrible name, he's a decent villain.
Kraven's daughter * A GIRL version of Kraven who just fails at everything she tries. This issue was especially terrible as Spider-Man gets Daredevil's costume instead of just putting on a ski mask and then leaves her to die at the hands of Rattitude (his name is actually Vermin, but if he had been made by this team of writers, it would have been a GIRL and it would have been named Rattitude).
Jackpot * Not actually a villain, but she's supposed to seem like she's Mary Jane and she talks like Mary Jane, but she's not so its just supposed to be like a tease or something but really makes no sense as to why she acts/looks like Mary Jane. She also serves the same exact same role as Black Cat who is already a girl but they'd probably name her Catastrophe if they'd come up with her.
Screwball * Another GIRL. Her name is kind of gross, but it was in an issue called The Money Shot and her costume looks like a gamete. But I know its supposed to be a baseball. Still, terrible character.
Anti-Venom * Eddie Brock is effected by the negative powers and when Scorpi-Venom touches him, he becomes... Anti-Venom... Honest to god. The best part was I knew exactly what he'd look like. Yup, white costume with black lines. They seriously made a reverse-Venom in a modern comic book and think that's cool.

And yet I still read it, wishing it were halfway decent.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BlueBard

Quote from: BWPS on December 16, 2009, 09:36:06 PM
Spider-Man is such a ridiculous book. I've been reading some of the issues since BND up to around 570 and I really don't know why, it's in its own class of stupid.

And yet I still read it, wishing it were halfway decent.

Thus why I preview in the bookstore, decide it's garbage, and resist the impulse to pay for it...
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Previsionary

Wow, BWPS... Murs has a habit of calling me critical or stating I have too high of a standard, but you ripped Spidey BND apart much more than I ever have... well, outside of my annoyance with the web shooters constantly jamming in the first few months (and they haven't since), how long it took to finish storylines (not really an issue anymore I hear... but then again, half of the new cast disappeared/stopped being active), and the constant pushing of boundaries (I.E., constant sex talk and scenarios for the past few months, crazy (maybe racist depending on the author) Latina chick, and Peter swearing more than I've ever seen him doing before BND). BWPS... thank you. Now, I can shut Murs up for good. :P
Disappear when you least expe--

detourne_me

I dunno Prev, BWPS's commentary borders on misogynistic and irrational.  I personally enjoyed the aftermath of BND.  you can never go wrong with good JR Jr. art!

herodad1

whats going on with the new avengers and luke cage? i only buy one book and thats THOR. while reading it i saw a advertisement showing luke  lying on an operating table? someone please fill me in on that one!

Talavar

Ugh, New Avengers - a book I wish was good but isn't. 

Spoiler
So, a few issues back the New Avengers got hit by a power dampener - something that not only neutralized the the powers of everyone on the New Avengers and the Dark Avengers (including high technology, super biology & fricking being a deity) - and Luke Cage's heart couldn't take the strain of not having powers for awhile.  He needed to get heart surgery, so surrendered himself to Norman Osborne & got the surgery, then the rest of the New Avengers and some helpers rescued him - only for there to be a tracking device implanted near his heart.

herodad1

thanks for the info! stuff like thats why ive all but quit buying comics. ever since THOR's return, his books have been really good.

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on December 16, 2009, 10:47:36 PM
BWPS... thank you. Now, I can shut Murs up for good. :P

Always trying to censor me...always.

I'm the modern cow-bell, Prev. Accept it

"More Murs."

Ares_God_of_War

No we don't need more Murs-bell
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

BWPS

Quote from: detourne_me on December 16, 2009, 11:14:11 PM
I dunno Prev, BWPS's commentary borders on misogynistic and irrational.  I personally enjoyed the aftermath of BND.  you can never go wrong with good JR Jr. art!
Definitely can't complain about the art most of the time though I'd prefer just one artist. And keep in mind I haven't really read many of the issues where Romita was working yet.

Also I don't really buy them, I just read on digital comics.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Podmark

I enjoy the BND comics, but they do have problems. I love Mr Negative though, and all the Kraven stuff has me very excited. It's an uneven comic I think, but I still like it.

I'm in finals right now so I'm backlogged on comics, but I wanted to point out the new X-Factor Forever mini:
http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.10723.sneak_peek~colon~_x-factor_forever
Series doesn't interest me much but I love the new designs. Very Morrison. I'd probably skin them if I ever found time.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Stop teasing, Pod. We're still waiting on the rest of your X-force skins. :P.

I'm greatly amused that marvel keeps pushing for this "hidden years" type shtick with the first 2 classes of X-men. Despite my love for X-factor vol. 1, I was actually hoping this would tie in more with Alex's team. *shrugs*. Gotta admit the majority of the characters on the [then] revamped X-factor team are pretty underused at the moment.

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on December 17, 2009, 07:56:16 PM
Stop teasing, Pod. We're still waiting on the rest of your X-force skins. :P.

Of course X-Force comes first. Hoping to work on them on the Christmas break.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Quick reviews of stuff I read this week:

X-force #22 (3):

Spoiler
Um... the artwork was a bit of a miss for me. There was a point in the book where I couldn't actually tell who was talking, and it's a little TOO dark, so I found myself just glimpsing over a lot of it instead of taking in the whole picture. In fact, I just read it and can't tell you any scenes that stuck out to me, and I literally don't remember any backgrounds. Onto the actual story content, it was alright. The thing with Rahne was kind of unexpected and really kinda annoyed me. If this is her big story, then I can completely pass on it. There's not a lot of progression to the actual story (a lot of scenes are fighting based), but there is a bit of intrigue about what's going to happen next, and we do find out that the Decimation had a bigger effect than everyone previously thought. Outside of that and a bunch of twists that tie some other X-force storylines together, the X-men are still regathering and Selene is still trying to collect souls and start her ritual.

The backup script is just Hope and Cable sitting by a campfire. Apparently, this story takes place AFTER Cable #20 and Hope is in her new costume. She's a little tougher than she used to be, and she makes a very Jean/Phoenix statement. Also, phoenix effect appeared in her eye.

X-factor #200 (3.5):

Spoiler
This was pretty good. I loved the scenes between Valeria and the X-factor crew. It's obvious David took full advantage of her new personality and wrote her like he would write Layla... minus some of the weirdness. The book focuses on 3 storylines taking place. I'll comment on them all.

1. Fan 4:

Valeria and Franklin ask X-factor to help them find their mother; she disappeared. No, that's no irony. Anyway, part of X-factor do just that and head back to New York to investigate. Of note here is that Reed seems to be a bit shady, Johnny isn't in the book at all, and Thing, for those that complain about him getting beat up all the time, is beat up and PAD, in Shatterstar's voice, makes it seem like Thing has no type of technique in his fighting (easily ignoring years of his history). Also, Shatterstar makes a snide comment about Thing's non-wedding, though I don't think Shatterstar should actually know anything about that. Bringing up Shatterstar, I really hope PAD doesn't keep pushing Guido's issues with homosexuality down the cliche route. I'd rather not get a "very special issue" comic. Anyway, Jamie suspects something is going on and keeps on the case despite what Reed says.

2. Monet:

Monet has apparently moved with Theresa to Cassidy manor in an effort to help Theresa deal with her issues. Unfortunately, it backfires on her, and Theresa loses more of herself every day. This ultimately leads to Theresa having a one-night stand with an old teammate and lover while Monet goes looking for Jamie to ask for help. While Monet is at X-factor investigation, she receives news from Val Cooper that her father was kidnapped and the terrorists want her to hand herself over to them. After Jamie and the others return to the base, Val and Monet let them know what's up. Jamie assures the others that they'll help Monet when they get more info, but first, they need to continue with the Invisible Woman case. During this sequence, we learn that Layla is actually still around (in Latveria) and she can see Longshot even during his use of psychometry.

3. Theresa:

After her tryst with Deadpool, Theresa goes to her father's grave and attempts to deal with her issues. When Reverend John Maddox arrives on the scene, Theresa instantly goes into a rage and punches him. Once she realizes her mistake, she apologizes. The rest of this story is fairly by the books and deals with themes of religion. Theresa is in pain, so Rev. Maddox helps her and makes her open up and deal. End.

There's a lot going on in the book, and the fan 4 mystery is intriguing. I did find it odd that Johnny was brought up and never mentioned again in the book, and Monet seemed off this issue, but other than that, twas a good read. Also, and it's been awhile, all of X-factor had something to do, and it wasn't just the Maddox show. Tis a big book with quite a few extras, so definitely worth the price if you're interested in this team.

Captain America Reborn #5 (3):

Spoiler
This issue is kind of a let down after last issue. I can sum up the plot in two sentences. One: Steve is trapped in his mind as Red skull takes over. Two: Bucky and the Avengers try to stop Red Skull and his crew from reaching the president. That's it. Lot of fighting and a lot of head action. Basically, a filler to a storyline that's already over as far as I'm concerned.

-------

In other news, since I spent so much time on X-based books, I just realized Cable's last arc is going on now before he returns to 616 and we get the next BIG X-event ("Second Coming"... and whatever anthology series that follows it). I can only say two things. They are as follows: "Thank the heavens. I now know the same premise can be used for 24 straight issues before Marvel sees fit to stop it."; "The X-men are becoming too plot-holey, and Bishop needs to go away. Why Forge and not him?!"

Silver Shocker

I passed on X-Factor this week. I'm just not that interested in the book or the characters anymore.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

marhawkman

I REALLY want to know where the Hope story is going.....

Zippo

As far as Hope goes, my guess is:
Spoiler
That since she's awakened her powers, and is telekinetic (and likely telepathic, seeing as she's more or less Jean reborn) and the phoenix force has left the cuckoos recently, it's going to pop into Hope when her and Cable show up in the present.

Previsionary

So, who's ready for the DP corps next year? And DP's role in Doomwars? DP = The New Wolverine/Emma.

marhawkman

DP corps is especially interesting as he's found a female version of himself to hangout with.

Previsionary

Eh, I'm thinking female DP is just Dr. Betty... I.E., one of his supporting cast mates in Merc w/ a Mouth.

deano_ue

Previsionary

Astonishing X-men What If? (3.5):

Soooo, if Jean would have been revived instead of Peter in the first arc of Astonishing X-men:

Spoiler
1. Emma would have succumbed completely to Cassandra and the 3 in 1 would have died while Emma stole their phoenix pieces.

2. Jean would be single, but Cyclops would naturally be attracted to her still. This would make Emma extremely jealous.

3. Emma would have killed Beast, destroyed breakworld (and magic bullet), and attacked the X-men in Phoenix/Cassandra form

4. Cyclops would still attempt to break through to Emma and tell her he loves her (truth according to Emma).

5. Kitty would pull out Emma's heart, which would cause Emma to die. Kitty would then die in an explosion.

6. The Astonishing team would reform with two new members (including Jean) and prepare to take on bigger threats including the Phoenix Force.

7. Cassandra would still be lurking about.

Ignoring the other stories in that "what if," this story was okish, though very quick. A lot of the things revealed later in the run still remained true (Lockheed/Sword, breakworld arc, etc), but it didn't have as much punch. Also, Jean's return was just a giant catalyst that didn't work well for anyone. I did like the exchanged between Emma and Jean though. That particular scene was full of feistiness, and I loved seeing how jealous and easily influenced Emma was once she realized how all the X-men flocked to Jean. This story was bitter sweet for me though. On one hand, I loved seeing Jean back in action and strong enough to handle the phoenix with her basic TP/TK attacks, but on the other, her being back in the fray brought on so many deaths that it wouldn't work out in her favor at all. Bah.

As for the other main story, it too is full of death. In fact, all the x-men died. That would be the result if Ultron had met up with Danger, fell in love with her, and made her understand his way of thinking. I don't have much to say about that story because I barely tolerate Danger and that storyline was a low for Whedon. Overall, I enjoyed the read, so I'll give it a 3.5 for the Jean story alone. And no, this isn't my bias taking over. The Phoenix story just so happens to be the better of the 2 main stories in the book. :P

But honestly, if you're tired of all the Phoenix, Emma vs. Jean, and Danger stuff, then you should skip this book. There's nothing here for you except a blahish backup comic strip.

Captain America: Who Will Wield the Shield? (4):

Even though Reborn STILL isn't over and Steve is appearing in various forms all over marvel, this one-shot by brubaker attempts to answer what Cap is dealing with after the conclusion of Reborn. It's a little odd to get his thoughts on something before the event is even over, but we're way past that point now. The big question post Reborn and Pre-Siege was this: Will Capt wield the shield and mantle in the near future. This one-shot seems to answer that while hinting at events we've still yet to experience. It's very hard to talk about this book without spoiling too much, but I will say it was an enjoyable, low-key read. There's not very much action, but it's the first time in a long while that anyone has gotten into the brains and thoughts of Steve Rogers and where he sees himself headed in the future. If you're a fan of Cap (Steve or Bucky), I recommend you buy or browse this issue.

Podmark

So who will wield the shield?
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Quote from: Podmark on December 25, 2009, 12:49:37 AM
So who will wield the shield?

Buy the book, dannit! So lazy! :P

Spoiler
Going by Steve's own words to himself and to Obama, he won't be. He's going to let Bucky carry the mantle until he's ready to do it again... if ever. Steve hints that he saw parts of the future and knows that it's essential that Bucky carry the mantle, otherwise he could die. Considering Reborn #6 isn't out yet, we won't know why until January. Fun, fun. Also of interest is the fact that Bucky didn't WANT to carry on the mantle, he only accepted because Steve asked him to do it.

Previsionary

MMK, I'm just now getting around some of the books I have sitting in my "to read" stack. Let's jumpkick this thread back off for tomorrow, shall we?

New Mutants #8 (3):

This issue was relatively simple. Dani and Sunspot attempt to get Amara to safety so that she can be healed and Karma, Sunspot, and Magik attempt to save Cypher. The whole issue is basically a giant fight scene between the Hellions and the New Mutants with very little breaks between them to move the narrative forward.  However, Magik and her soul sword do have a prominent part of the story and are used to restore a certain character, or two, that were once "dead."

Of interest to those that care, The Siege #1, which comes out tomorrow, is not getting the greatest reviews. This has me worried that it'll be another Bendis event blunder. Maybe my thoughts will be proven wrong, but I doubt it.  :huh:

udasu

I read Siege #1

Spoiler
Not too sure why the Thor beatdown had to happen. Seeing Steve with his fist shaking at the end was cool.

Ares_God_of_War

Quote from: udasu on January 07, 2010, 01:56:18 AM
I read Siege #1

Spoiler
Not too sure why the Thor beatdown had to happen. Seeing Steve with his fist shaking at the end was cool.

Please elaborate you now have my attention.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

murs47

Spoiler
Norman, his Avengers, and Initiative invade(illegally) Asgard and beat the snot out of Thor on national television. Steve sees this and shakes his fist at the tube. End.