News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Previsionary

Just finished reading Hulk 606... um, I hope that backup was a drug induced dream because what happened to one of my favorite characters (She-hulk) IS NOT acceptable. I'm glad I'm dropping the Hulk line now.
Disappear when you least expe--

deano_ue

hell i only flicked through hulk at the shop and knew it was crap without reading it.

how do you go from world war to no one gives a damn

Tomato

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on January 23, 2010, 08:21:19 PM
hell i only flicked through hulk at the shop and knew it was crap without reading it.

You hire Joe Q.

Podmark

Quote from: Tomato on January 24, 2010, 08:56:21 AM
Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on January 23, 2010, 08:21:19 PM

You hire Joe Q.

More like you hire Jeph Loeb. Joe Q was on board for both.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

The Hulk event, which relies on 5 different books that you have to actively keep track of, was supposedly planned by Loeb, Pak, Van Lente (?), and others at a summit just like Ultimatum apparently was. Loeb and Joe Q do seem to be a common factor in these events.

Anyway, I'm going to spoiler tag this, but the reason She-hulk has been missing since Hulk 600 was finally revealed.

Spoiler

Of course, she'll most likely be back sometime during this event since this is her Anniversary and she has several books coming her way, but it really discourages me that Marvel writers have no issues with the unsavory events they lead characters through. It's hard for me to connect with characters when I'm constantly worried about what horrible thing can happen to them this week. Also, is it ironic that we found out what happened to Jen before we even discovered who Red Hulk is? Heck, we're closer to knowing who Red Shulk is than we are to understanding who Rulk might be.  :thumbdown:

Podmark

Quote from: Previsionary on January 24, 2010, 06:42:25 PM
Loeb and Joe Q do seem to be a common factor in these events.

Well Joe Q is involved, at some level, with everything that happens at Marvel, good or bad. Thus I blame Loeb more because he's probably the story lead for this event.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

Spoiler
I'm glad She-Hulk isn't Red She-Hulk. I thought she was going to be.

Wait! Jen is dead!

Talavar

Re: Hulk 606...

Spoiler
I wouldn't write Jen/She-hulk off as dead quite yet - she may have only been choked into unconsciousness (unless people have read previews/solicitations and already have her death confirmed or something).  If she does turn out to be dead I'll be done with the Hulk titles a lot longer than just until this event is over, and I'll add another clump to the Jeph Loeb Hatred Sphere I'm constructing in my basement.

Previsionary

Talavar,

Spoiler
Red She-Hulk literally broke her neck, and Red Shulk announced Jen's death in her first few appearances. This is the reason Shulk was missing for so long.

However, with the upcoming "Savage She-hulks" and other She-hulk related material (remember, it's her 30th anniversary this year), it's anybody's guess.

Talavar

Quote from: Previsionary on January 24, 2010, 08:40:02 PM
Talavar,

Spoiler
Red She-Hulk literally broke her neck, and Red Shulk announced Jen's death in her first few appearances. This is the reason Shulk was missing for so long.

However, with the upcoming "Savage She-hulks" and other She-hulk related material (remember, it's her 30th anniversary this year), it's anybody's guess.

Well that's just great.   :thumbdown:  I'd avoided reading anything with Red She-hulk up to this point, so I'd missed that little tidbit. 

Is there a "farm," somewhere upstate, where Jeph Loeb can get sent to at this point?  Bendis can go with him to keep him company, I won't mind.

Ares_God_of_War

Spoiler
You know you would think Jenn would have the advantage since she has been a Hulk alot longer
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

marhawkman

I'm expecting Jen to come back anyways.....

Xenolith

Spoiler
Those crazy Hulks always regenerate.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.

marhawkman

Exactly!  I'm still wondering if that abomination-lite "killed" by Lyra is actually dead.

Blkcasanova247

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Heroic-Age-Avengers-Announcement-100127.html#comments

Discuss...and I'll put the first "positive" post on the topic....I'm very excited to see what Marvel has in store. :thumbup:
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

Talavar

Looks like the right idea - though I still don't love that new Iron Man armour.  I'm pretty sure that's still Bucky as Cap though, judging by the costume.

Previsionary

Yeah, Bucky is still Cap. That was already revealed a few issues ago. Steve is effectively taking a hiatus after Siege if his plan holds up.

Blkcasanova247

Quote from: Previsionary on January 27, 2010, 08:34:09 PM
Yeah, Bucky is still Cap. That was already revealed a few issues ago. Steve is effectively taking a hiatus after Siege if his plan holds up.
Personally I think that they'll have Steve Rogers head whatever the next "world peace keeping force (or possibly superhuman initiative)" that will more than likely be introduced after H.A.M.M.E.R is dismantled...whether it be a new version of S.H.I.E.L.D or something along those lines. It would be a real let down to reintroduce Steve and then "put him on ice". Steve Rogers will bring his "outlaw" friends out of the cold..make everybody rightgeous and square with the law. A "true" leader to the superhuman community....just a theory. :rolleyes: ;)

steamteck

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on January 25, 2010, 03:43:56 AM
Spoiler
You know you would think Jenn would have the advantage since she has been a Hulk alot longer

I am sooo tired of these "edgier" invincible red Hulks.

Previsionary

In actual comic review news, I read X-men Legacy #232 today. I recommend it. 3.5 out of 5.

Spoiler
Proteus has returned in the form of Destiny due to the fallout of Necrosha. After obtaining Ruth/Blindfold as a new shell, he goes on a rampage and attacks Rogue and her team of X-men (Colossus, Magneto, Psylocke, Husk, Nightcrawler, and Trance). Easily overwhelming the team and sending them on the run 2 members shorter than what they started with, Psylocke reveals what Proteus wants and we learn how Proteus returned to life with newer abilities. The book ends with Magneto challenging Proteus on his own while heading into orbit (Kitty references are made... twice) as Rogue is left to deal with her possessed teammates.

Yeah, one day I'll return to those long reviews. Maybe. You guys don't miss them, right? :P

Podmark

Heroic Age intrigues me, but I require more info. Beast's presence in particular is interesting.

Read a bunch of comics today. All were pretty decent. Enjoyed Guardians quite a bit, and this week's X-Force was the first Necrosha issue that I really dug. Rest of the arc was kinda meh. And another student died. Those kids just fall like flies.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Who's the monkey with the gun on his back?  Also, I hate Spider-Man being an Avenger...not sure why exactly, just that he doesn't really fit.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Podmark

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 28, 2010, 06:14:50 AM
Who's the monkey with the gun on his back?  Also, I hate Spider-Man being an Avenger...not sure why exactly, just that he doesn't really fit.

I think it's the guy from Agents of Atlas, Gorilla Man.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Zippo

That "Heroic Age" image would be a pretty great Avengers lineup. I'm glad to see (hopefully) bucky still as Cap. I like Blkcasanova's idea of Steve becoming the next head honcho. I'd say the least fitting one is Gorilla Man, just because I can't imagine what would make him join the Avengers and leave his comrades in Atlas.
Then again, it might not be an avengers lineup at all.

lugaru

Quote from: Podmark on January 28, 2010, 06:18:58 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on January 28, 2010, 06:14:50 AM

Yup, great character, great series.

For me Spidey should not be officially on a team but honestly I have enjoyed him as an avenger... it gives him an audience for his wisecracks, a room full of straightmen.

Blkcasanova247

To me the image is more a repesentation of the "major" players in this "line wide" shift rather than a "team" line up. I most excited that Hawkeye is back to being Hawkeye...not the sword weilding Ronin. Clint Barton is "NOT" a ninja and that always bothered me about him being the character. I'd love to see Beast back in an Avengers line up. I just hope that Spider Man is still an Avenger....personally I thought is was a great move and finally a way to broaden his base. Spider Man is "THE" Marvel super hero too me....and I particularly love the depiction of him in Avengers....he has a way of keeping everyone honest. I still am getting used to the new Iron Man suit...but I don't hate it. I really hope that the art chores on the new Avengers title are done by Stuart Immonen....his New Avengers run has been "OUTSTANDING". :thumbup:

BlueBard

QuoteTo me the image is more a repesentation of the "major" players in this "line wide" shift rather than a "team" line up.

That was my take, too.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

steamteck

Quote from: Blkcasanova247 on January 27, 2010, 07:13:10 PM

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Heroic-Age-Avengers-Announcement-100127.html#comments

Discuss...and I'll put the first "positive" post on the topic....I'm very excited to see what Marvel has in store. :thumbup:

Now it'll only really happen if they fire Joe Q and at least  half the current writers you know.  (I still prefer Steve as Cap myself also especially in a "heroic age')) But I can hope.

Epimethee

Quote from: lugaru on January 28, 2010, 07:41:50 AM
I concur. I'm not following many series so the sampling is limited, but Agents of Atlas is my current favourite from the Marvel/DC lineups.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Previsionary

Quote from: Epimethee on January 29, 2010, 05:43:06 AM
Quote from: lugaru on January 28, 2010, 07:41:50 AM
I concur. I'm not following many series so the sampling is limited, but Agents of Atlas is my current favourite from the Marvel/DC lineups.

Co-signed. Unfortunately, they don't have their own book right now, BUT they're appearing all over the place. From all the backup strips in incredible Hercules (another great book) to the VS. books Jeff Parker/Marvel are pushing, they're popping up frequently enough that the casual reader should know of their existence. Oh, right, Marvel boy: The Uranian and Thunderbolts featured the characters as well, so join in on the fun!