News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

I heard about both of those. Of those, Iceman, Luke Cage, Gwenpool, Generation X, Hawkeye and America. The writer of Captain Marvel says on Twitter it's not ending, though it's apparently off the March Solicits.

I've been expecting Gen X to be cancelled since pretty much since it was announced. I'm ok with that. I quite like the book, but the nice thing about X-Men books like this one is most of these characters will bounce off to some other book (indeed, Gen X was aplenty with X-Men student cameos, Anole and Transsonic made cameos in this week's issue) Assuming some writer like Chris Yost doesn't just kill some of them off.

Hawkeye's a shame, but I never read the rest after Fraction's run, and I like to think Kate will bounce on to some other book in the future. I hear Champions is having a membership drive! (that's not a joke, they're literally doing a membership drive in an upcoming issue)

Speaking of Champions, the now-wrapped up Avengers/Champions crossover had some important ramifications:

Spoiler
Viv Vision was turned into a human (or humanoid) by the High Evolutionary, then "died" (but really was transported to some other world) then was "downloaded" into a new Synthezoid body by Vision...but in the process was split into two different beings, one Synthezoid and one human. Crazy. 

I actually quite like this story. I actually called before Champions launched that Mark Waid would make me a fan of Viv and he did, and so I was very invested in seeing what would happen to her.

Though this does bring up a recurring issue I have with modern Marvel and DC superhero comics. Accessibility. They have this thing where they like to play off earlier stories without actually telling you what the past continuity is in the book you're currently reading, even if it informs the current events. And this issue is no different. In this issue Vision is asked who Viv's brain patterns are based on and he doesn't answer, because he's grief stricken, but the scene is clearly evoking something from Tom King's Vision, which I didn't read; and while a reference to Viv's deceased brother much earlier in the series also did this, the context was far more self-evident; he died. So, this was a "I'll have to look this up later once I've gotten caught up in this week's books" moment and hey, what do you know? Turns out not only was the answer "Vision's now-dead wife, as seen in Tom King's Vision" but in fact this new "Viv 2.0" body wasn't even something Waid came up with out of nowhere, it was an explicit plot point in King's Vision as Vish wanted to revive his dead wife with a new robot body. And guess what? Not one bit of that was even hinted at in the issue I just read! See, this is the part that vexes me. In situations like this it feels like I'm being "punished" for not reading a completely different series. And it's funny, because modern Marvel and DC do use recap boxes (for a few years they outright refused to use them, even going so far as to airbrush them out of Busiek Avengers trades) but they're selective about it to a fault, for whatever reason. This does just further reinforce something I already kinda decided, which I'm going to have to go back at some point and read the rest of Tom King's Vision.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

As usual,Bleeding Stool gang are offended becuse they canceled 2 titles with gay leads.Maybe because they werent selling?Just guessing.Which can happen when you have books about characters nobody cares for,written by people nobody heard off.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

daglob

Love him or hate him, but Stan Lee turned 95 Thursday.

Silver Shocker

There are people who hate Stan Lee? That's news to me.
Congrats to him. I've been saying all year that if he made it out of 2017 alive, it means he's effectively immortal. Which certainly seems to be the case in his movie appearances.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

I like the idea that he's The Watcher of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

GhostMachine

'Stan Lee' was a category on yesterday's Jeopardy. The first and last questions were videos of him doing the asking (like Alex's Clue Crew).

Naturally, I got them all right.  :thumbup:

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on December 31, 2017, 02:56:01 AM
There are people who hate Stan Lee? That's news to me.
About that,truth is probably in the middle.He probably did claim more credit then he deserved,but I doubt he was a Bob Kane level douchebag some people make him out to be.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Looks like there are good chances that the new creative team on ASM will be Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley.Kind of a perfect storm in the making.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Well, Spencer was rumored awhile back. I'm apparently the only person in comics fandom who doesn't hate Spencer now so I'm all in. You'd think I hate the prospect since the argument could be made that Spencer's Cap was very much of the same "comics as open hostility" vibe as Slott, but the difference is I personally never found any of the stuff Spencer did in his run offensive (not meaning to belittle anyone who did, I'm just saying I didn't dislike it) I'm not sure what the approach will be (I'm personally hoping for "Anti-Slott") but it'd have to actively try to suck to be as bad as Slott's run. As for Ottley, he can suck a lime. I didn't like him on Invincible and I don't expect I'll like him on Spidey. But I've accepted at this stage that the universe assigns artists on my books specifcialy to spite me and (Why hello there Aaron Kuder and Nick Bradshaw on Infinity Countdown gag me with a spoon) At this rate I'm expecting when Thunderbolts finally comes back it'll be drawn by Frank Miller circa Holy Terror.

Jim Zub and Charles Soule each have mystery projects to be announced in the future. I've got my fingers crossed, (for a little freaky deaky) not necessarily for Thunderbolts but at least for something I'd be interested in. Also Gail Simone is writing a Domino series. I don't expect to read it myself but good for her.

Over in Astonishing X-Men:

Spoiler
Stewart is out, Macavoy is in!!  :thumbup: In a move I have to assume is half synergy and half ripping off the Buffy comic wholesale. And yes, he's actually just inhabiting Fantomex's body but everybody keeps saying he's "about thirty" so he's clearly supposed to be Macavoy. And as dopey a plot turn as this is I'm an unabashed Macavoy fan so I'm loving it. The jury's out on how Deadpool feels about it though. Also Proteus is back...somehow.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

There will be a new Exiles series.With the movie/Valkyre as one of the characters.How creative. #houseofideas
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

And Marvel got Conan back.Because they are not satisfied with driving their own heroes into ground.
Also,I wont find out what was up with that guy from Busieks run.Okay,it was obvious who he was,but the plot is left unresolved.
Dan Buckley is kicked upstairs and John Nee is the new Publisher.Im not at all familiar with him.He was doing some manga related work for DC and Wildstorm.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Another reboot/relaunch/whatever is announced and seem to be doing what Legacy promised and returning original heroes back.
I finished first volume of Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider,and its not as bad as I gave it credit the first time.It still feels like a failed Deadpool pitch at parts,however.
Im also slowly catching up with Venom.Its got Stegron,so that a big plus.But thats probably just me.
Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

Marvel needs to do a reboot, ala Crisis On Infinite Earths or 52....

There's a pic out of the Avengers after this "refresh", and I have one problem with it:

Spoiler
Ghost Rider on the team makes less sense than Spider-Man and Wolverine. The whole Spirit of Vengeance thing will clash with the rest of the team, and I expect he won't be a member for long.

kkhohoho

Quote from: GhostMachine on February 24, 2018, 02:53:31 AM
Marvel needs to do a reboot, ala Crisis On Infinite Earths or 52....

There's a pic out of the Avengers after this "refresh", and I have one problem with it:

Spoiler
Ghost Rider on the team makes less sense than Spider-Man and Wolverine. The whole Spirit of Vengeance thing will clash with the rest of the team, and I expect he won't be a member for long.

They don't need to do a reboot. They just need to have good writing. And they need to remember what the Avengers are actually about.

Spoiler
As for Ghost Rider, Marvel has been turning the Avengers into a Justice League clone ever since Bendis came on in 2004, and that means putting just about every previously established big name on the title at some point even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Wolverine, Daredevil, Blade, you name it. With JL this works better because back when the team first started, barely anyone had a real personality, so they could just put in anyone without worrying about whether or not they clashed with the rest of the team. Which isn't the case with Avengers. And Marvel doesn't care. The real reason GR's on the team isn't because of anything in-universe, oh-no. It's because GR is a semi-known name which means he should be on the Avengers. That's all there is to it.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Avengers dont need a lineup change as much as a writer change.TBH,that part of Marvels franchise has been in the dump since Busiek left.

About the other point,nobody really knows what the hell are Avengers about.They just decided to hang out one day and Wasp came up with a name that sounded cool.There is really no mission statement or a guiding spirit there,ever.
Jon Farmer

daglob

They had a kind of reason to hang out together: that they could handle more dangerous menaces if they worked together... which was a real problem with The Hulk, Thor, and Iron Man (and then Giant Man): anyone less than Thanos (who hadn't been created) or Galactus (ditto) could be handled in a couple of pages. This is also the reason that the "big guns" took a hiatus, leaving Cap with Hawkeye, The Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver. These Avengers were 'way less powerful than the ones they replaced... an then they added Goliath/Giant Man back... kind of experimenting to see if it worked.

HarryTrotter

Im trying to say that Avengers were always kinda random.Ask a few people about the Justice League linup,you will get very similar responses.Ask them about Avengers (lets pretend the films didnt happen) and you would get very different takes.
Not saying I can really justify the inclusion of Ghost Rider here.Other then as another pointless attempt at synergy.
IIRC correctly,he was in Ultimate Avengers.But that was a Suicide Squad setup that included Punisher as well.So that doesnt really prove anything.
Jon Farmer

daglob

I'm not disagreeing about your take on including Ghost Rider. It seems a strange choice. Who will be next; Morbius? Man-Thing?

kkhohoho

Quote from: daglob on February 25, 2018, 08:20:08 PM
I'm not disagreeing about your take on including Ghost Rider. It seems a strange choice. Who will be next; Morbius? Man-Thing?

If either of them gets a movie, then yes.

daglob

Well, Man-Thing had one... :D

HarryTrotter

Well,Im not that against it.Like I said,its been,sort of, done; Ghost Rider was in several teams,and Avengers had a rotating lineup.Thou,I dont think the reasoning went beyond- he was in AoS,so lets get 3 people who watch that to buy a comic.
Still,in a hands of a competent writer(ha ha ha),there is potential.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Lockjaw has a miniseries? :blink:

HarryTrotter

Another series about a character nobody cares about,written by a person nobody heard of.Its a day ending in Y for Marvel.
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: daglob on March 01, 2018, 04:05:39 AM
Lockjaw has a miniseries? :blink:

Pretty simple logic, MARVEL discovered fans at Cons were asking about Lockjaw from the Inhumans series simply because he was the ONLY character in the TV show that folks could get attached to.. especially dog lovers. Plus it's way cheaper to do a Lockjaw mini series comic then a Lockjaw mini series TV show.. unless someone at Marvel Animation gets an idea for a Marvel Pets series.

- CQ

"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

Didnt they close down their animation department recently?
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: HarryTrotter on March 01, 2018, 10:30:56 PM
Didnt they close down their animation department recently?

Marvel Animation is undergoing a major revamp since it's being fully moved under the Disney Animation umbrella now (which was rebuilt by the PIXAR team).. The Big Hero 6 series on Disney XD is part of that division however the newest Spider-Man cartoon, Avengers Assembled, and Guardians Of The Galaxy were shut down once their remaining episodes in production were complete. Rumors are that upper management within Marvel Entertainment (i.e. Jeph Loeb) wasn't pleased with recent ratings and wondering why they are not getting a huge boost from the popularity of the movies even if they borrow from the cinematic universe designs. What plans they have in store ahead is unknown.. something tells me we will not know until D23 or San Diego Comic Con.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

We can only hope they do a better job in the future.Should be hard to top 3 guys with flash animation program,thou.
I always thought they should do Power Pack as an animated series,but that probably wouldnt fly today.They would have to be diversified and all that.

And its true,Nick Spencer {of Secret Empire fame} and Ryan Ottley {of Invincible fame} are taking over Amazing Spiderman.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

So again,Fresh Start...isnt going to be Marvels Rebirth.Sure,OG heroes are back,but its still Waid,Waid,Waid,Slott,Young,Slott,Slott.Only this time,with origin stories.Because thats really what we need at this moment.
While I kinda hate the term paradigm shift; I dont think Marvel noticed the paradigm shift happening in the industry.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: HarryTrotter on March 08, 2018, 07:19:31 PM
So again,Fresh Start...isnt going to be Marvels Rebirth.Sure,OG heroes are back,but its still Waid,Waid,Waid,Slott,Young,Slott,Slott.Only this time,with origin stories.Because thats really what we need at this moment.
While I kinda hate the term paradigm shift; I dont think Marvel noticed the paradigm shift happening in the industry.

Yes indeedy. A fresh start. With an Avengers team consisting mostly of characters with their own books like they've been doing since Hickman/Bendis. Who needs character development in an Avengers book, am I right? ;)

And I've been meaning to say this for awhile, but in response to when you said the Avengers was never really about anything, that's what it was about. A focus on characters who didn't have their own books rather than those who did, allowing for some decent character development that gave the book its' own identity separate from something like Justice League. Hell, you could argue that when JLI came around, they cribbed from the Avengers model, the only difference being that they injected a hefty dose of humor into it. Only now Marvel seems to want to turn Avengers into the League, and that's just not what Avengers should be.

detourne_me

Id love to see an anthology book like Marvel Comics Presents for the characters/creators that can't seem to handle a monthly book with good quality. Since most team books now are used for events, an anthology book with d-list heroes would probably be better. It gets a bit tiresome seeing a team like The Champions school the Avengers.