Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Celebrate Freedom!

Author Topic: The Marvel Thread  (Read 140621 times)

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
Re: The Marvel Thread
« Reply #3570 on: June 10, 2018, 07:14:28 AM »
I still gotta read his Mighty Avengers run, cuz you guys have been really me it's really good since back when Ewing was announced to write New Avengers.
I enjoyed New Avengers/U.S. Avengers. I didn't love it but I liked enough of it. And he took part in Avengers No Surrender which I found pretty great. If he was given the main Avengers book I'd probably pick it up.
"If you put out a story that needs supplementary reading in order for it to be coherent, then's it's a BAD story! If you thought it was that important, you shoulda put it in the actual damn comic!"
~Linkara, Atop the Fourth Wall Final Crisis review

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #3571 on: June 25, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »
So Slott's final issue of Spidey came and went. I totally fogot until just now, and it's basically a Tangled Web story. How appropriately mundane and inert.

I've been waiting for Slott to get off Spidey for years now and now that it's finally happened I should feel happier but I don't feel much of anything. It's it's mostly just that it ws a war of attrition. His long, intensively damaging Spidey run just grinded my enthusiasm to dust. Plus we never had to settle for his run anyway. I dropped it years ago and I'm happy I did so, because I know I wouldn't have enjoyed continuing to read it. We already got the first installment of Spencer fun run, and unlike years past, we have healthy alternatives. Spider-Man/Deadpool is still a fun, if superfluous book. I've heard really good things about Renew Your Vows, which I absolutely plan to read. There's also Chip's PPSM, which people seem to like. And then there's Peter David's Scarlet Spider, which I'm still reading. It's a nice, fun low stakes book with a touch of PAD's playful humor. I like it's nice that we live in a world where Slott is no longer on Spidey but PAD's SS is still around (for now). Plus Gage's version of Spider-Verse is coming, so yeah, things are looking like an upswing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:39:18 PM by Silver Shocker »
"If you put out a story that needs supplementary reading in order for it to be coherent, then's it's a BAD story! If you thought it was that important, you shoulda put it in the actual damn comic!"

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #3572 on: July 06, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
Over in the Actually-Is-Required-Reading-For-The-Main-Series Infinity Countdown: Champions:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Riri Williams aka Ironheart is getting a new costume...whose color scheme looks a LOT like Hornet of the Slingers. I wonder if that's intentional or if they were going for "feminine, but not too feminine, and distinct enough from Iron Man to stand on its own" and magically landed on Hornet's color scheme by coincidence?

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #3573 on: July 11, 2018, 07:41:23 PM »
Amazing Spiderman #1 wasnt exactly amazing.Spencer tries a bit too hard to throw in predictable jokes in every panel.And homaging his earlier works.While trying to return things to their classic status.Even going as far as returning Peter back to school.There is a lot of foreshadowing with Kingpin,and the dream sequence and...Still,Im kinda interested to see where this goes from here,so we could say it worked.
There is also a very Bendis-ian problem here,characters are all part of them same hive mind speaking thru different mouths.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #3574 on: July 18, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »
So IDW will be doing a whole bunch of Marvel comics aimed at younger readers.
I would question the sanity of farming out your comics to somebody whos in even deeper $hit then you,but at this point,Im not all that surprised.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
« Reply #3575 on: July 18, 2018, 03:35:18 PM »
The specter of Star Comics comes shambling into view...