News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

Quote from: HarryTrotter on November 01, 2018, 12:13:41 PM
And Avengers had the issue where Kang nukes Washington and Earth surenders.You think that would be noticed in other titles,but no.

About Clone Saga,funny that its remembered as lasting the whole decade,when it actually took two years.But when you have 4-5 Spiderman titles a month,it adds up.

I've had years like that...

HarryTrotter

Actually,Kang dynasty was so good that nobody dared to use Kang after that.Well,not everyone,but this is THE Kang story and you just have nowhere to go with the character after that.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I was going to say, I loved Kang Dynasty, to the point I didn't want anyone to use him again just because you couldn't top it. And while he has appeared in a few things since then (Young Avengers, Abnett and Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy), they always seem to be decidedly lower-key stories in terms of how he's used.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Asm #9 Spencer has some weird boner for support groups.I didnt know
Spoiler
Jarvis
is still alive.Seriously,why did I think that?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

A support group for the loved ones of superheroes...actually not a bad idea. I'm surprised I'd never seen it before in a superhero story before. Has it been done before?

Spoiler
I'd imagine you thought Jarvis was dead because he was hospitalized and almost died in Avengers: No Surrender. While it does show him bedridden during a flashback/montage in this issue, the gauze over his eye makes it clear it was a reference to Under Siege.

This issue was thankfully less goofy than the last, but I'm not that interested in the Thieve's Guild stuff. I'm kinda hoping for this story to get over with so we can get back to our mystery villain and Pete's roommates.

"If Tigra's bikini is in this mess I'll be set for life". Har har.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

It reminds me of Loners a bit.
Its not No Surender,so I must have misremembered something earlier.Probably because Iron Man did have a computer JARVIS,to tie into the movie.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

So...Marvel and DC have just giving up on anything approaching an actual story concept for their big events?  First it was 'let's give everyone hammers!'  Then DC said, 'let's give everyone armor!'  And now Marvel responds with, 'What if everyone become a fantasy character?'  Sheesh.

http://majorspoilers.com/2018/11/17/the-war-of-realms-is-coming-to-marvel-comics/
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

HarryTrotter

They dont really have any big names left.Its what happens when you CAST writers and hire webcomic artists to save money.Also,be sure to cater to people who dont read comics.
Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

To me, the wake-up call should have happened years ago. Namely when DC hired Alan Heinberg, a tv show writer known for `The OC', to write Wonder Woman. He couldn't even wrap up his first storyline before the first Annual came out. Why was this a problem? Because the storyline and Annual featured the same villain, Circe, and the Annual was not a storyline continuation. The end of the storyline was delayed a few issues, so we were subjected to an all-new conflict with a villain whose previous arc hadn't been finished yet.

And I want to completely ignore the majority of JMS' Spider-Man run. "Sins Past" should be tossed into an alternate universe or retroactively made into a "What If?", for example. Requires too much retconning, and was complete garbage that ruined Gwen Stacy's legacy.

Tv and movie writers have no business writing comics until they can prove they actually know the material and can deliver in a timely manner.

HarryTrotter

Riot Games and Marvel are teaming up.Thats actually a perfect match.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Sins past was also editorial mandate... But I do maintain there's an easy fix that keeps what little creative benefit that story added (having grey goblin as a foil for Harry as the other Osborn son) without the ick... Norman used cloning tech and Gwen's DNA (both of which he canonically has access to) in a bid to mess with Peter. Mary Jane's confirmation can be hand waved as a memory implanted during a kidnapping or something.  If it MUST be Canon, FIX IT.

HarryTrotter

#ASM #10 Ok,are we meant to take this comic seriously or is this some sort of selfparody?I honestly cant say.We have Mary Jane in the support group,Black Cat and Spiderman trying to sort their relationship...and Avengers trying to find their junk.Good thing Miss Marvel had a tracking app on her phone.Tony Stark,Doctor Strange and Jean Grey are uselles,but good thing Miss Marvel had a funting app installed.I cant deal with Spencers sitcom bs anymore...
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yeah, that was a little dopey. I could have done without that level of "because the plot says so". When I got to that scene in the book, before I actually read the pages, I assumed Ms Marvel, Miles and Ironheart were prominently displayed because Ramos used to work on Champions, but no, Spencer specifically pulled a Dr. Strange by way of Bendis and had a character who had zero bearing on the story before this resolve the problem for a cheap gag at the expense of Reed and Tony. Quite lame and not actually funny.

I also had other issues with this issue. Spidey's back to acting like a neurotic man-child around Black Cat, and MJ's going on about how much stress Pete's life puts on HER, which, yeah, that's the point of the support group, but those two things put together remind me (and I have to imagine, others) of two of the big negatives people had with Slott's run.

On the plus side, the way the story got back to the big ongoing mystery of this run, that I liked. That I want to see more of going forward. Beyond that, this two-parter was a noticeable step down and I'm glad it's over and we can move onto something else.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

We spent the first few issues talking about getting back to basics and not doing random wacky cr@p Slott is so fond of...only to keep doing random wacky cr@p Slott is so fond of.
Again,another Hush-like villain?Its a bit hard to care.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

"Marvels history is destroyed"
Interesting tagline if you didnt already do that.Several times.
Next Avengers crossover will involve them meeting Conan.Thats why they needed the licence back.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Avengers crossing over with Conan. Oh joy. Is Kulan Gath going to be the villain?  :huh:

"Marvel's history is destroyed"

Never a good sign when a tease like this feels more like a threat than a promise of good stuff coming.
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

Like I feared, they are retconning the Gold, Silver, and Bronze Ages out of existence. That way if someone says "Comics used to be better in the [whichever] Age", they answer "Those never happened. Neither did Stan Lee or Jack Kirby. It's always been thus."

HarryTrotter

Last I remember Kulan Gath showed up in Red Sonja,so I dont think thats going to happen.
Yes,I admit I read Red Sonja 13 years ago.
#ASM  #11 Toy segment was actually funny.Also,Hip Flask is here.
And more of Kingpin playing 4D chess.Im sure that will pay off.Eventually.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Both Kull and Red Sonja have appeared in "modern" Marvel comics; both in Team-Up, I believe (Byrne art on Sonja). Then Rune was also present in a Conan comic or two. So I always assumed that, provisionally, The Hyborian Age was part of The Marvel Universe's history.

HarryTrotter

Thats not the problem.Problem is that they are currently owned by Dynamite.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

So it turns out this whole 'History Destroyed' thing is nothing more than a five issue Cosmic Ghost Rider miniseries. Yay?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Cleverly named Cosmic Ghost Rider destroys Marvel history.Catchy.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: HarryTrotter on December 12, 2018, 11:01:59 PM
#ASM  #11 Toy segment was actually funny.Also,Hip Flask is here.
And more of Kingpin playing 4D chess.Im sure that will pay off.Eventually.

Got to this one super late. I'm surprised you read it, I thought you said you were done with Spencer's sitcom antics.
In any case, Hip Flask = The Hippo?

Also, I've been meaning to say, someone's going to have to explain to me how Ottely kept his job after sneaking religiously charged imagery into an issue of Spidey when an X-Men artist from a few years ago got sacked for doing basically the exact same thing. Well, other than blatant favoritism of course, but I'm not satisfied by that answer.

In any case this issue was primarily about the modern take on J. Jonah Jameson, which happened in a different book. Since I was already interested in reading that story (and since Marvel did an atrocious job of recapping it in this issue, because of course they did. Seriously, not even a footnote to help you actually track down the story in question?) I went onto my Marvel Unlimited account and read every single issue of Chip's Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man I could (it abruptly cut off in the middle of one of the more recent sub-arcs, oh well). Oh, I also took the opportunity to finally read Family Business since I still hadn't read it yet and that run is a direct followup to it. (For the record, PPSM did a better job of recapping FB than Amazing did of recapping PPSM) And the run itself IMO was ok-decent. The Dinner With Jameson issue, however, was fan-flipping tastic. I adored it. It really was every bit as good as I'd heard. Not only was Pete calling Jonah out on every bit of Jonah's B.S. over the years very cathartic (including calling out Slott's B.S. writing on Jonah in earlier stories, such as completely ignoring his dying wife's wises) I honestly did feel sorry for Jonah.

Spencer's version, mind you, is a little bit more of a mid-way point. The new hook with Jameson is there, but he also still acts very Jameson-esque, being a glory hound who argues with Spidey and seems more interested in promoting himself than being heroic. Not sure who exactly to blame that on (that sometimes throws me in Spencer's run, until I do research. Thanks for failing to provide such context in the actual book BTW Marvel) but it feels very Spencer-esque, if that makes any sense.

On a related note, I was reading an interview with Spencer about the book a while back and 1. Superior Foes was originally pitched as a Black Cat series, and 2) It was Joe Quesada of all people who suggested Peter get back together with Mary Jane. Weird eh?

Also Blade's in the Avengers now, because why not I guess. Time to reboot Blade in the movies?

[EDIT]

Oh, I almost forgot. The final issue of Infinity Wars: Sleepwalker, released last week, teased its eventual followup-in-the-form-of-a-different-book just as Darkhawk did for Sleepwalker.

Spoiler
The Secret Defenders of all things are set to make a comeback. I actually kinda like the idea. One of the things that doomed the original series to be remembered as a crappy 90's comic (see the Atop the Fourth Wall review) was terrible artwork on top of random assortments of trend-chasing 90's characters, but in a modern comics era where a lot of beloved characters who starred in a lot of really good books 10 or more years just can't seem to get one now, this might be just the thing to give some old favorites more chances to shine. Or you know you could just put Miles Morales, Miss Marvel ect in there, but let's not give them ideas. I'm expecting it to be another miniseries leeching onto a big event mini for extra sales anyway ("Realm of Kings" perhaps?)
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I did say that,but truth be told...I got nothing better to do.Im only following ASM and Tmnt at the moment.And an occasional #1.
At least Spencer stays away from politics so far.I guess he learned his lesson with Secret Empire.And we reached a point where we have to give a Marvel writer points for not sounding off identity politics and #OrangeManBad rants.
Hip Flask is a charavter from Elephantman.Another thing I remember being good,but I never finished it.
Yeah,the Mormon thing...At least the issues is now a collectors item because they will fix that in collections.What are they,IDW?
Yeah,I felt like I missed something big with that JJJ status quo.
Im guessing these are new versions of Darkhawk and Sleepwalker?And they will go on to join the Champions...er,Secret Defenders?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: HarryTrotter on December 19, 2018, 11:52:54 AM
And we reached a point where we have to give a Marvel writer points for not sounding off identity politics and #OrangeManBad rants.

Please don't tell me you're seriously going there.

HarryTrotter

Yes,because thats tottaly not all they are doing.Oh wait,it is.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: HarryTrotter on December 19, 2018, 01:19:10 PM

That's not what I meant about going there.

BentonGrey

Man, it sounds like the Thing has really burned some bridges over at Marvel....
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Quote from: kkhohoho on December 20, 2018, 12:23:27 AM
Quote from: HarryTrotter on December 19, 2018, 01:19:10 PM

That's not what I meant about going there.
You meant we are not allowed to say that for a while now,personal politics have been put before entertaiment?That Marvel fires people for calling Hitler an SJW (which part were they bothered with?)?That they alianated most of their fans?That most of their employees are on twitter 24/7 telling you they dont need your money?Did you mean we are not allowed to say any of that or was this just another "your racist/sexist/something for not liking x" kind of thing?
Jon Farmer