Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: The Marvel Thread  (Read 232524 times)

Offline SickAlice

• Mean Green Mother From Outer Space
  • Bombs Away
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
Re: The Marvel Thread
« Reply #3720 on: June 15, 2019, 07:31:19 AM »
Most is all over CBR and what not about that. I'm a fan so sounds good. Mostly covers, he likes to surprise his readers and doesn't seem apt to say much. Though in the interviews they kept coming at him with fan assumptions and it seemed to be making him upset a little. This is the interview in question but it's as verbal as I've seen him about the whole thing so far and the least cryptic.

https://www.cbr.com/jonathan-hickman-house-of-x-powers-of-x-interview/

There's some other sort of answers linked in it. This tweet by him is just fun.

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1131373624273887232

Offline murs47

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3721 on: June 15, 2019, 02:31:13 PM »
That was an intriguing article. A bit cryptic. Or perhaps void of many details. It looks like each issue will be 40+ pages if I read that correctly; without relying on cliché cliffhangers at the end of every issue. Yup, I'll be trying this.

That tweet :lol:

Offline SickAlice

• Bombs Away
« Reply #3722 on: June 17, 2019, 05:53:23 PM »
Right? I mean Hickman is a bit of a snob but he's so eloquent and funny about it. And for sure, what else is new with him. Year one and two of keeping everyone guessing then he drops the bomb on it, it works so well for his writing. His Fantastic Four run speaks for itself here.

Offline murs47

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3723 on: August 08, 2019, 02:08:43 PM »
"The most important scene in X-Men history." wasn't just hype and marketing. The latest issue(House of X #2) really blew my mind. I think Hickman just out-Morrison'd Grant Morrison, but without drugs.

Offline SickAlice

• Bombs Away
« Reply #3724 on: August 08, 2019, 02:33:44 PM »
Heh. Funny way to put it. Interesting method and I mean cleaning up continuity errors at the start of the story rather than at the end like he did with Time Runs Out. Complicated too, bless him for the included infographs explaining all that. Any read you have to sit and think about after is a worthwhile read.

Offline murs47

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3725 on: August 08, 2019, 03:53:41 PM »
Any read you have to sit and think about after is a worthwhile read.

Right? I read it before heading to bed last night and thought to myself:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline SickAlice

• Bombs Away
« Reply #3726 on: August 10, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »
Exactly tho, he is one of the few that can take something that on paper would sound silly and make it work. The fun part is this just the start. Knowing how he writes we haven't even seen the real double take yet and that's saying something.

Offline SickAlice

• Bombs Away
« Reply #3727 on: October 03, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
Just when you think you saw the most unnerving piece of nightmare fuel Immortal Hulk had to offer you read the next issue and find out how wrong you were.

Offline SickAlice

• Bombs Away
« Reply #3728 on: February 07, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »
Typing it somewhere just because it's a bit of a tick in my brain but I noticed Marvel very recently put out at least four direct sequels of established storylines without naming nor promoting them as such, in some cases rather applauded and well known ones. Just seemed odd that they wouldn't attempt to notify fans of those stories they had continued them.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #3729 on: March 30, 2020, 09:04:02 AM »
Typing it somewhere just because it's a bit of a tick in my brain but I noticed Marvel very recently put out at least four direct sequels of established storylines without naming nor promoting them as such, in some cases rather applauded and well known ones. Just seemed odd that they wouldn't attempt to notify fans of those stories they had continued them.

The funny thing is I knew a guy at the previous comic book store I used to go to. He was one of the most insufferable people I'd ever met in my life. I used to watch an old Canadian tv show as a kid and one of the characters had a nickname for someone: "Pretentious Idiot". Before we threw around the word "hipster". This guy is that guy.

With Marvel he'd be all like "What is there to like? They just rehash all of their old stories?" And I'm just like 1) Nice oversimplification for the benefit of bashing them. 2) I KNOW you haven't read a Marvel in years and 3) You can do that for EVERYTHING.  (and in many cases, we do) You can do "DC? What is there to like? They just reboot their universe every few years, then undo it, then reboot again, rinse and repeat"

That one, shallow, stubborn, narrow-minded criticism (from someone who would later praise some DC books for doing their own takes on classic Marvel characters) got me thinking for a longtime, and my conclusion was "originality is 1) overrated and 2) ultimately worthless. It's going to come down to execution. "Originality" (or rather "the illusion of originality" is ultimately going to get you so far.

Back to Marvel, if we're at the point where they actually don't want to use the name of the story they're making the new story to, people they think usual that name and putting a number or a subtitle at the end ("Annihilation: Scourge", for example) will actually discourage audiences from reading them, I actually can't fault them for that. It's kinda a problem they created for themselves over time, but it is what it is.

In any case, Empyre, for example. That book can be complete trash. It can be a pointless retread, ect. And ultimately, I'm probably not going to care because Hulkling from Young Avengers in it. That's the fanboy in me, I supposed, but darn it, I've been waiting a long time for some YA content. Sometimes I'll take what I can get.
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline SickAlice

• Bombs Away
« Reply #3730 on: March 30, 2020, 05:59:25 PM »
Annihilation: Scourge was one example, can't recall the rest I read when I said that. It was the continuation and closure of several dangling plotlines from over the years yet they made no mention of it in the adverts for it. Oh and the recent Death's Head mini speaking of YA was a continuation of every Death's Head versions story but moreso a Young Avengers sequel, focusing on Wiccan and Hulking. Yet again they didn't promote that. Seemed odd to me, I would think they'd want to alert the fans of those characters.

Not sure I understand where the rest of that is stemming from sorry, it wasn't in my post? I was just wondering why they didn't tell the public. Though yeah, my comic shop guy was a nightmare when I was a kid. It was Batman or nothing, I eventually found a different way to get comics because I didn't feel like dealing with him. And holy moly did he hate the Archies Turtles with passion. Had a huge mural on the wall that said "Death To Archies" with a middle finger painted on it and refused to sell anything by the company as a result. Not sure if it's an LCS thing or a fandom thing, I think the latter. At some point it can become like a clubhouse and the fans become confused into thinking the medium is owned by and supposed to cater to themselves solely. Noting that in any fandom, music ones as well can be rife with it. I got to a point where I filter all that out, full time job online of course and choose to indulge whatever I feel like. No different than someone hating on a type of pie, won't prevent me from eating and enjoying it.

I'll add my stance for completions sakes here, "I like comics". There's never been a home team for me. Same applies to any arts, I like any music depending on the mood and the individual case. I note that I grew up in an era where B was acceptable. A movie could for example be poorly done in fact they spit out tons of them back in the day but it didn't mean a person could enjoy it any less. At best I consider this idea of picking apart the arts to the point of being hostile about it a result of growing up in a consumerism. "My way right away" as the slogan says. I never became acclimated to that, perhaps from growing up in poverty. As far originality well comic books, and I mean the very structure and foundation are based in trends so it's really a moot point. And not the devils handiwork some would make it out to be. The compromise with art when trying to share it with the masses is in order to do that it must become a product and thus confined by the structure of a product. It has to cater to what sells otherwise it doesn't. This will become more relevant in the coming year I think with the stock market in the hole and shops closed as series end up cancelled or just delayed. Naturally instead of minding the market trends most of fandom will probably just as well direct that frustration over not getting it their way right way in the form of dissing and/or blaming the rival product to the one they desire the most. Then again that itself is just a trend and in an odd way just some peoples way of showing appreciation for the arts so it might not be a bad thing. It's passionate interest I mean and thus supports the industry one way or another in the end.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:21:54 AM by SickAlice »