News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Skinning Tips & Tutorials

Started by MJB, December 27, 2008, 07:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJB

The old version of this thread can be found HERE.

Feel free to post any new Tips & Tutorials for skinning here. :)

-MJB

Zivon23

any good tips on blending lines from the neck to the body?

see how the neck is clean and the body is blocky?  how do I solve this?

Thanks in advanced

~Z23~

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Zivon23 on February 11, 2009, 11:36:55 PM
any good tips on blending lines from the neck to the body?

see how the neck is clean and the body is blocky?  how do I solve this?

Thanks in advanced

~Z23~

What method are you using to do the linework and I don't think you will even notice that in-game.

Zivon23

Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 12, 2009, 12:45:08 AM
Quote from: Zivon23 on February 11, 2009, 11:36:55 PM

What method are you using to do the linework and I don't think you will even notice that in-game.

most likely you won't notice it in game........but I am unhappy with it as an artist and was hoping to make it better.

I use Paintshop Pro for me skinning but have Adobe Photoshop in reserve.

AfghanAnt

Not program, method. Are you drawing the lines by hand or are you cutting pieces out and using the layer effects?

Zivon23

Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 12, 2009, 02:02:40 AM
Not program, method. Are you drawing the lines by hand or are you cutting pieces out and using the layer effects?
They were done using the pen tool.  drew the line in vector, manipulated the nodes then converted the layer to Raster.  then selected the line, reduced the thickness, and recoloured that selection green and then used the blur tool slightly.  The pic is pre blur. Also....it is done in 1024.

Tomato

MisterImmortal2009

I've been a lurker here for a while, and I really don't have much artistic skill, but I would like to try and create my own custom skins and maybe attempt to contribute as well. However, I'm not certain what programs I should start off with. Does anyone have any suggestions for a free program that I might be able to use. Thank you.

Outcast

MisterImmortal2009

Thank you Outcast. GIMP looks interesting. Sorry for the late reply, but Monday nights are the only time I get internet access.

Outcast

No problem MisterImmortal. Good luck and happy skinning. Looking forward to seeing some of your work in the future. :)

Amazo Version 2.2

Due to extreme lack of artistic ability, I probably won't ever much of a skinner. I have, however, been attempting to experiment a little bit with GIMP and Paint.Net. I am curious though, is there a tutorial about how to alter base skins? Namely the crotch area and the faces?
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

murs47

Cyber Burn

Just out of curiosity, is there a tutorial that discusses Eyebrows? Thanks.

cmdrkoenig67

It sucks that none of these links work anymore and that the Archived forums are gone.  I've been looking for a tutorial on making a base skin...I was thinking of making my own.

Dana

THE ARCHIVES ARE BACK....YAY!

cmdrkoenig67

Its a bummer that most of the tutorials are gone.  Gryphon's is still up and Murs' videos are still up...All the Geocities sites are gone, of course...Sigh.

Dana

Deaths Jester

Great...just great...now I've got repost all those C6 tutorials I posted sometime back...rrr....oh well...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

murs47

Quote from: Deaths Jester on May 07, 2012, 03:43:02 PM
Great...just great...now I've got repost all those C6 tutorials I posted sometime back...rrr....oh well...

Everyone will love you for it and shower you in rose petals.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: murs47 on May 07, 2012, 04:00:11 PM

I HATE ROSE PETALS!!!!

Previsionary

Quote from: murs47 on May 07, 2012, 04:00:11 PM

Shut up, Murs. You and your stupid, ridiculous fantasies. DJ don't want your desperate butt.
Disappear when you least expe--

GogglesPizanno

I shower in rose petals every day and its makes me smell like sunshine and rainbows.

Outcast

c6's hair/beard tutorials are still there in the archives.

I've got a copy of Lunarman's Skinning Tutorial. If it's allowed, i can send it to someone willing to host it.

I also have Murs's first tutorial: "How to skin the "Murs" way." :P   

Cyber Burn

Is there any way to convert the tutorialss into PDF's and then host them that way?

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Cyber Burn on May 09, 2012, 01:12:54 PM
Is there any way to convert the tutorialss into PDF's and then host them that way?

Yeah there is...but I'm bloody lazy...but I might just do that.....unsure...

Outcast

Quote from: Cyber Burn on May 09, 2012, 01:12:54 PM

Well, it was easy converting Lunarman's skin tutorial into PDF. In the process of converting it, the file size became considerably smaller. Anyways, since i'm not sure whether it can be hosted or not, if anyone wants a copy...let me know. :)

I'm trying to see if i can also convert Murs' first tutorial (How to skin Joe the Xman) into PDF as well. :P  :wacko:

Deaths Jester

For those looking to make their skin's skin a bit more humanish...check out the following tutorials on this page:

Navate Extras

Might not be useful to all of you blokes, but it has been a use to me.

Outcast

Interesting tutorials DJ. I once tried making some skin tones without using a base skin :o and i found it quite difficult just getting the color of the skin right. This tutorial could prove useful. :)

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Outcast on May 11, 2012, 04:57:14 PM
Interesting tutorials DJ. I once tried making some skin tones without using a base skin :o and i found it quite difficult just getting the color of the skin right. This tutorial could prove useful. :)

Yeah getting realistic skin tones working correctly is really hard in FF...this was what one I was working on looked like after the tutorial:

Still a bit off, but a lot closer to what a real person's skin tone would come out as.  Will say...it takes a longer amount of time to get things like this than it did when I used the base three colour format (base, light, dark) but it looks a bit better...thouhg due to FF's limited graphics capabilites it does come out a bit flat looking if done wrong.

Outcast

The flesh tone does indeed look realistic DJ. But it's the details that you've done on the face to make it your own is what strikes me the most and it's something i wish i knew how to do.  :blink:

Ouflah

Hey guys! I'm new here, but I really need some help. In  :ffvstr: I've been trying to customize a character that is a variation of the Ant. When I look at the skin in the character creator, it looks great. But in the Rumble Room, it does not show. Instead, the Ant's original skin shows.

Any suggestions?
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III