Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DJ's f-art area (Updated 10-3-09)

Started by Deaths Jester, December 29, 2008, 02:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Previsionary on December 18, 2012, 12:53:34 AM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on December 17, 2012, 06:18:17 PM
A piece I've been workin gon in my spare time...as you can tell, it's still nowhere near doen..but thought I'd let you blokes no I'm not jsut getting drunk for the fun of it...

-DJ

Straight up lie, and you know it, and I don't know why you'd think we'd believe it.

Looks interesting, sir. She has intense eyes.

Prem, quit saying thing syou just don't know...we all know you've got to make yourself soun dsuperior to everyone to ease your own lack of self-esteem but really...lying...I thought you were better than that.

Another WIP of the same piec efollows, it's what the pic looked like at 1 AM this morning right before I shut down my comp and passed out.  Still alot more work to do though before it's anywhere near finished.

Spoiler
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Cyber Burn

Very nice pic DJ. I love the eyes, they just really draw you in.

Previsionary

Quote from: Deaths Jester on December 19, 2012, 04:06:48 PM
A piece I've been workin gon in my spare time...as you can tell, it's still nowhere near doen..but thought I'd let you blokes no I'm not jsut getting drunk for the fun of it...

-DJ

Straight up lie, and you know it, and I don't know why you'd think we'd believe it.

Prem, quit saying thing syou just don't know...we all know you've got to make yourself soun dsuperior to everyone to ease your own lack of self-esteem but really...lying...I thought you were better than that.

Another WIP of the same piec efollows, it's what the pic looked like at 1 AM this morning right before I shut down my comp and passed out.  Still alot more work to do though before it's anywhere near finished.

Oh, do I now? Then you must share the reasoning behind your frequent case of making dumb comments. Surely it's not because you want everyone around you to look smarter as that is already the natural state, so one can only assume that you make these comments because you simply don't know any better. Tsk Tsk. So sad. So bad.

DJ, why didn't you tell us you were designing the next outrageous Lady Gaga costume! You making that dough, aren't ya, home skillet?!
Disappear when you least expe--

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Previsionary on December 20, 2012, 06:36:52 PMYou making that dough, aren't ya, home skillet?!

[off-topic]
Oh my god, I don't think you could have sounded any more stereo-typically white & un-hip if you tried.  Good job! :thumbup:
[/off-topic]
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Previsionary

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on December 20, 2012, 08:04:41 PM
Quote from: Previsionary on December 20, 2012, 06:36:52 PMYou making that dough, aren't ya, home skillet?!

[off-topic]
Oh my god, I don't think you could have sounded any more stereo-typically white & un-hip if you tried.  Good job! :thumbup:
[/off-topic]

Thank you, Panther! Nice seeing you again. I missed our back and forths. :D
Disappear when you least expe--

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Previsionary on December 20, 2012, 06:36:52 PM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on December 19, 2012, 04:06:48 PM

-DJ

Oh, do I now? Then you must share the reasoning behind your frequent case of making dumb comments. Surely it's not because you want everyone around you to look smarter as that is already the natural state, so one can only assume that you make these comments because you simply don't know any better. Tsk Tsk. So sad. So bad.

DJ, why didn't you tell us you were designing the next outrageous Lady Gaga costume! You making that dough, aren't ya, home skillet?!

Go back to your corner with you Oompa-Lumpas, Prem...just go!

Antoher update on the pic...I can feel it getting close to being done and only need a few things to finish it (shadowing around the forehead and maybe...maybe...some tonal reworking in places).  However, something doesn't feel right...not sure what...am open to ideas from those with real ideas (not Prem...becuase his ideas stink) becuase right now I'm at the point that either I finish this or trash it due to the unnerving feeling somethings missing.

Spoiler

Cyber Burn

I hope you don't decide to trash the pic DJ, it looks great. I don't think anything is missing really, but with the eyes looking the way they do (Very bright), they draw your gaze away from the rest of the pic. So if anything, unless that is your purpose, I would darken the eyes a bit so as to not detract from the rest of the pic.

Of course, I'm not an artist in any way, shape or form, I'm just going by what I see.

Panther_Gunn

When I look at it, my eye is mostly drawn to her right cheek area, and it's a little difficult to focus on other areas for long.  I don't know if it's because it's out of balance with the other side of her face, or because it's less "busy", or just brighter.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Deaths Jester

Well, the finished piece is up over here, as you can tell I named it Silent Symbols for reasons that you folks won't understand.  Not too much changed and if PG had got his comment in before I deemed the pic finished I would have done something about the problem he had...see what you get PG for not replying fast enough?!?!  Joking!

Edit:  PG, I think the reason that you were being drawn to the right cheek area is due to the non-symetry brought on by the darker cirlcing compared to the whiter cirlce on the left side.  that was a bit intentional but I had hoped the eyes would draw folks more.

Deaths Jester

Just a test for lighting and materials I'm running for a concept sketch I'm working on that looks kinda like the figure (won't be showing the final drawing because I'm handing the finished pieces rights over to someone else).  Done in Poser.

Cyber Burn

Man, that is just vicious DJ, my only suggestion would be to adjust the lighting at the base of the Horns, it looks more like they are attached to her, rather than being a part of her (Did that come out right?). But otherwise, just...Wow!

daglob

I think he means they look like they are glued on her instead of growing out of her head.

Still.. wow...

spydermann93

This looks wonderful, DJ!  Absolutely beautiful!

I'm curious to ask; what does the shield look like?  I'm curious to see :P

Deaths Jester

Guys, this is just a light and material comp (I like to get a setup together so I can see it without having to think about it in my head...something I picked up from Brom) for a drawing that I'm doing...it doesn't have to be perfect or exactly close to what I'm doing.  I just showed it because I can't show the painting I'm working on.  As for the other side of the shield...there isn't one.

Cyber Burn

Either way, it's still a really nice piece work. Whoever is getting the Painting is very lucky.

Thinking about it though, I would love to see something like this in the FF Universe, she would make a great Villain for a Character like Doctor Strange.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Cyber Burn on October 19, 2014, 03:17:09 AM
Either way, it's still a really nice piece work. Whoever is getting the Painting is very lucky.

Thinking about it though, I would love to see something like this in the FF Universe, she would make a great Villain for a Character like Doctor Strange.

Well, there is Mephestoes' daughter...she looks a bit like this...course this character is a good girl...

daglob

Y'know, Lord Emshiddey's Anime Furry has feet like that...

Deaths Jester

What happens when I try to render metal with blending stumps and pencils for the first time.

Good thing it's just practice and not the real piece!

daglob

Dunno, if that's your first try, I think it's pretty darned good.

Deaths Jester

Got some real probs to it though...

Too dark
I rushed the shading and didn't really do a good job (see..the gradient is really poor on the legs and such)
Also, the wood texture of my drafting board came through in some sections...not right....

daglob

I used a piece of poster board to keep the grain (and dings and cuts-it was third or fourth hand) of my drawing board from showing through. My father had this roll of green paper he tore a piece off for his drafting table for the same purpose.

I still think it looks good.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: daglob on October 29, 2014, 07:27:52 PM
I used a piece of poster board to keep the grain (and dings and cuts-it was third or fourth hand) of my drawing board from showing through. My father had this roll of green paper he tore a piece off for his drafting table for the same purpose.

Poster board doesn't stand up to the pressure I put on my drafting board...went out and bought one of those 14x14 texture-less, magnetic fridge boards instead...seems to hold up a okay to the pressure.  Know what you mean about third/fourth hand drafting boards....mine came form the '60s and was used by my father and mother in college before I got a hold of it..

Deaths Jester

Gah...forgot how much drawing hurts my hands....my blasted long fingered hands now look like curved meat hooks...and I still haven't got far into the drawing...rrrr...

Deaths Jester

This is my second try at rendering armour with graphite.  I would've used this piece (there is more to this piece but I'm only allowed to show this much) but there were some changes made to the armour after this piece.  Plus, when I started to render the skin via graphite, I truly fouled it up and was unable to clean it up enough to use.  So back to the drawing board I go....YAY!

daglob

What kind of paper/illustration board are you using? Do you have an electric eraser and a shield?

Deaths Jester

Quote from: daglob on January 06, 2015, 08:34:28 PM
What kind of paper/illustration board are you using? Do you have an electric eraser and a shield?

I'm currently using vellum, so in case things go wrong I can still save some parts of it (I frankenstien sometimes).  As for the electric eraser, no.  It's okay thought that I had to start over, the one I'm doing this for decided to change the armour on the arms and gloves which changed how the shadows fell on both the chest and the rest of the piece.  Was going to have to start over anyways.

daglob

I don' have an eraser or a shield either, generally I work in something besides graphite (except for the basic sketch). I hear that they are indispensable, though. Haven't priced an eraser in decades...

Deaths Jester

Quote from: daglob on January 08, 2015, 11:21:20 PM
I don' have an eraser or a shield either, generally I work in something besides graphite (except for the basic sketch). I hear that they are indispensable, though. Haven't priced an eraser in decades...

Well, I could've done this one completely digital but after I saw how Ari Gravnov does his pictures, I wanted to give it a try out.  I know what you mean about no pricing erasers in decades...barely even use the one I have for much anymores.