Giving the Gift of Music

Started by zuludelta, December 31, 2008, 01:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zuludelta

I know CDs are on the way out, but there's still something about holding the physical record in hand, as opposed to holding an iTunes or Amazon Music gift certificate for mp3 downloads. This Christmas, I gave my 9 year old cousin a copy of Nobuo Uematsu's Final Fantasy VIII Piano Collections and the accompanying sheet music. She's not old enough to have played the game, but the music is good enough, I think, that it stands well enough on its own. I also had a somewhat selfsih motive for the gift, however... I'll probably never be able to catch Uematsu play the songs live, but by getting her the sheet music (she's an extremely talented young pianist), I'm hoping that I'll eventually be able to hear her play the songs... maybe at her next recital  :)

So, you guys give or receive any muscially-themed presents this Christmas?
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

MJB

Zero musically-themed presents received this year. One music-themed present given this year.

-MJB

deano_ue

i got the soundtrack to batman the animated series, pure class

and zul VII kicked VIII's arse for music and game

Ajax

I got Regina Spektors: Begin to Hope, which is alot better than her 11:11 album. Also got The Hush Sound: So Sudden, something that is pure pop but enjoyable nonetheless. Also got a iTunes gift certificate but I'm waiting on something before I use it. Debating on getting either Leeni or Jim's Big Ego's new album free*.

Figure Fan

GogglesPizanno

I wasn't able to get away to visit family like normal, so Ive been drinking and listening to Pink Floyd.... Does that count?

Alphanaut

While I bought it with my own Christmas cash, my friend reminded me of a CD I was missing from my collection:If It Was You by Tegan & Sara. I guess you could count that as a musical gift, no?
What do ya' know? I've got a yahoo group! Check it out, man!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alphanaut000/

zuludelta

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on December 31, 2008, 03:01:17 PM
and zul VII kicked VIII's arse for music and game

Yeah, but the FF VIII OST was cheaper though  :lol:

Quote from: Ajax on December 31, 2008, 10:10:16 PM
I got Regina Spektors: Begin to Hope, which is alot better than her 11:11 album

Good album. Probably her second best record after Soviet Kitsch, which is one of my top favourite 10 albums released in the past 12 years. "Summer In The City" still moves me everytime I put it on. Didn't quite dig her move to a more "produced" sound on Begin To Hope though.

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on January 01, 2009, 03:13:01 AM
I wasn't able to get away to visit family like normal, so Ive been drinking and listening to Pink Floyd.... Does that count?

alcohol + Floyd = a great way to spend time. Probably only trumped by Floyd + something more psychoactive than alcohol   :D

And my cousin/god-daughter played me the opening bars of FF VIII's "Eyes On Me" today... almost had me tearing up...
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

BWPS

I got a PS3

That has nothing to do with music, but I just wanted to throw that out there. Best Xmas ever.

I got my wife a cheapish little 2gb player which actually turned out really cool and the soundtrack to Twilight. I didn't get anything music-wise on the day, but I got Day and Age by The Killers as an early present and I bought myself When The World Comes Down by The All-American Rejects.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Mr. Cow

BWPS you're married?! Wow i really have been gone a long time.

I also received nothing musical for x-mas. I got my sister a transformer that makes noise if that counts? lol

BWPS

Quote from: Mr. Cow on January 01, 2009, 09:41:50 PM
BWPS you're married?!

Yeah! She's really awesome, she bought me a PS3.

Music.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Sgt. Friday

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on December 31, 2008, 03:01:17 PM
i got the soundtrack to batman the animated series, pure class

Whoah, I didn't even know that existed! Where did they get that from?
Sgt. Friday skin by Paradox of NPI

Mr. Cow

Quote from: BWPS on January 02, 2009, 04:29:30 AM
Quote from: Mr. Cow on January 01, 2009, 09:41:50 PM
BWPS you're married?!

Yeah! She's really awesome, she bought me a PS3.

Music.

Congrats man!

Sorry back to the music discussion