News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

constitutes your makeup, share here

Started by bearded, January 01, 2009, 01:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

one of zuludelta's scintillating posts made me remember my childhood heroes.  things i read in abundance were king arthur, robin hood, conan, and superspidey stories.  once at an early age, 7 or 8, i accidently picked up a teen titans instead of super spidey.  just had to be wolfman and perez, looking back.  the story made no sense to me at all.  i had to take it back and trade it for superfriends.
i did come across a terrifying batman story.  remember, my batman was adam west.  this story was batman in a desert succumbing to a scorpion sting.  (anyone remember that?  i'd love to read it now.)

JKCarrier

Quote from: bearded on January 01, 2009, 01:54:20 PM
this story was batman in a desert succumbing to a scorpion sting.  (anyone remember that?  i'd love to read it now.)

Sounds like the classic showdown with R'as Al Ghul:
http://comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=25406&zoom=4

Or it might've been the tabloid-size reprint:
http://comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=68962&zoom=4

zuludelta

I spent most of my early childhood living in a small remote mining community situated in the mountains of the northern Philippines, so there really wasn't much to be had in the way of entertainment... ours was one of only two working televisions in the whole town and the signal reception was so bad owing to our location that they were virtually useless (us local kids would spend our afternoons throwing pebbles at each other or poking holes in the town's store of sacks of rice).

For early childhood heroes, I had George Harrison, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Sir David Attenborough, and Oscar the Grouch (I was practically raised on a combination of Beatles LPs and Betamax tapes of Hong Kong martial arts films, BBC/National Geographic animal documentaries, and Sesame Street/The Electric Company). If you had asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up when I was 6, I would have probably said "a guitar-playing, kung-fu fighting endangered antelope living out of a garbage can." I've already got the guitar playing, kung-fu fighting, and living out of a garbage can parts down, and I'm currently working on the antelope angle (going vegetarian several years ago was a start :lol:)
Art is the expression of truth without violence.