Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Universe Online

Started by Midnite, January 11, 2009, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

Official Website

Overview:

DC Universe? Online is the only next-generation massively multiplayer online action game that delivers unparalleled physics-powered combat set in the DC Universe?. This genre-defining game puts the power of the DC Super Heroes and villains into the palm of your hands.
The Next Legend is YOU!

Game Features:

* Experience the power of visceral combat where you control every blow your character strikes, delivering a level of action that is unparalleled in the MMO segment.
   * Choose your side -- superhero or villain -- as you battle to save or conquer the universe.
   * Fight alongside or against your favorite DC heroes and villains including Batman, The Joker, Superman, Wonder Woman and others?The next legend is YOU!
   * Experience the intensity of a world created in the artistic vision of legendary comic book artist Jim Lee.
   * Take advantage of the state-of-the-art physics engine and use objects in the world around you as weapons, including even your enemies!
   * Players will create their own custom DC-style hero or villain, each with a unique look and combination of superpowers.
   * Embark on heroic or villainous story-driven adventures penned by famous DC writers including Geoff Johns and Marv Wolfman.
   * Gameplay is optimized for both the PS3 computer entertainment system and PC.
   * Explore the DC Universe; walk the darkened streets of Gotham City, investigate the mysteries of the futuristic cityscape of Metropolis and travel to legendary locations including Arkham Asylum and the Justice League of America Watchtower.

DC Universe? Online Download Minimum System Requirements based on Direct 2 Drive website.

* Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit
   * Processor: 2.4+ GHZ Dual Core
   * RAM: 2 GB
   * Video Card: NVIDIA 7800GTX+ or ATI x1300+
   * Hard Disc Space: 30 GB

Voice Cast:
Press Release

Kevin Conroy - Batman
Mark Hamill - Joker
Adam Baldwin - Superman
Gina Torres - Wonder Woman
James Marsters - Lex Luthor
Michelle Forbes - Circe

Cross-server play:

QuoteJuly 19th 2010
Jens Andersen
Not sure what the confusion is that we need to confirm but here goes...ps3 and pc will play on their own servers at launch. This decision was made final just a week before E3, before then we really weren't sure how it would pan out. There are both design and business reasons why the decision was made. On the design side I can tell you that ... See Morecommunication is a big consideration. The two communities are used to differernt things and those options don't always play nice with each other in our experience. The biz side isn't simply a question of what makes more money, contrary to what people are assuming. There are lots of complicated issues because this type of service hasn't been very well explored. I honestly believe both types of servers will have sufficient populations. And when other games of this type have run into that problem they simply merge servers to make sure populations are in balance. We've always said we hoped we could do this, technically it is possible, but there are pros and cons in each option. This one made the most sense for us at launch.

Pre-order items:
http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/preorder/

With the exception of Direct to Drive All pre-orders include a play as Batman in a special pre-order only 2 vs 2 pvp arena.

Amazon: Amazon Power Guantlests - all three versions of the game
Gamestop: Joker Confetti Bomb + Comic, all versions available for pre-order
Go Gamer: Death Stroke's Sword -all versions available for pre-order
Fry's Electronics: Scarecrow's Screamer + Comic, all three versions of the game
Special Edition at Amazon, Gamestop, Go Gamer and Fry's Electronics  - Bat drone for heroes / Joker Drone for villains, Batman figure

Target: Lex Luthor's Kryptonite Gun - PS3 Version only available for pre-order
Walmart: Joker's Trick Pistol - PC STANDARD version available.
Steam: Bane's Venom Injector

DC Universe Online Pricing & Availability FAQ

QuoteGet ready to step in to the DC Universe? as it comes to life online!  DC Universe? Online, the first action MMO for the PC and PlayStation?3 computer entertainment system has ?Gone Gold? and will be available beginning on January 11, 2011.

The game that has everyone buzzing around the globe is almost here.  DC Universe Online will be available through most games retailers throughout the US and Europe (including PAL Territories) as well as through several of the most popular game download sites in the US including STEAM?  and IGN Direct2Drive?.  The retail version of the game includes 30 days of game time and gamers can opt to purchase game time membership packages at the end of the first 30 days.  Converting an account to an active, entitled membership  does require a valid credit card or game time card/PlayStation?Network card (where available). Membership packages  are available in 30, 60, 90 and 180-day multi-month discount packs as well as a 1-year pack on both the PC and the PS3? in the US.  Plus, a Lifetime membership is also available for PC only.  Also, for those playing on the PC version of the game, DCUO will be included in SOE?s all-in-one Station Access subscription.  Here are the game play subscription packages available in the US:

US Pricing and Game Play Subscription Packages:

Suggested retail pricing: USD $49.99(PC) and USD $59.99 (PS3)

* 1 Month - $14.99
    * 3 Month - $41.99
    * 6 Month - $77.99
    * 12 Month - $143.99
    * Lifetime Subscription - $199.99 (Available on PC only)

In Europe, the game will officially be shipping throughout the PAL Territories on January 12, 2011 and in the UK and Ireland on January 14, 2011.  Since the game is an MMO, it does require an active subscription after the first 30 days, which are included as part of the retail purchase.  Converting an account to an active game membership  requires a valid credit card or game time card/PlayStation? Network card (where available).  Here are the game membership packages available in PAL:

Europe/PAL Territories Game Play Subscription Packages:

* 1 Month - ?12.99
    * 3 Month - ?34.99
    * 6 Month - ?64.99
    * 12 Month - ?124.99 (Available on PC only)
    * Lifetime Subscription - ?179.99 (Available on PC only)

Kommando

thalaw2

That's cool!  I'm finally re-interested in MMO.
革命不会被电视转播

UnkoMan

That actually does look amazing, graphic wise. Far superior to what I've seen CO looking like.

Champion 2 of 11

This is going to be OFF THE CHAMBERS! :blink: I will put my avatar in this game and then I will see if I can put Freedom Force characters in it! :thumbup:

MJB

Any word on the release date for the PS3 version?

-MJB

Dr.Volt

Wow, very impressive looking!!!  It's shaping up looking pretty darn cool!  I have to say I'm leaning more toward DCO now.

GrizzlyBearTalon

From what I can tell I'm not sure I'll like either one. Champions doesn't look nearly as pretty and the characters at this point don't have anything on what I've seen from DCUO. As far as looks and appearance I definitely think DCUO has it by a wide margin.

Gameplay however is FAR more important to me, I don't care how pretty you are if I can't stand to play you. The variety is there seemingly in both, the effects of powers seems to be a little more in DCUO favor as well. Seeing someone freeze an enemy then chuck the block away was cool, though I wonder if I need to kill you for a mission and I do that... well I don't want to fail because my overzealous friend threw you halfway across the city and I can't find you. A fun and new problem yes but still.... I forsee many long lost villains on rooftops I need to kill and am unable to find. I can put up with that for the novelty of being able to throw them around though.

CO definitely seems to be firmly stuck in ground already tread before. The interactions in it really seem to be just retreads of what was done in COX. Nothing new there.

However DCUO philosophy of letting one character kind of do it all with stances... um... I don't like the sound or the implications of that. If my power is shooting you with lasers... how are my lazer powers going to make me tougher? Click! Now I can make laser body armor or something? No thanks, if I wanted to do that I'd have made a character that could. Now CO has expressed similar concerns but they seem to be on more of a tweaking stats level than completely changing who and what you are from what they've said of it. Flip a switch you adjust and are tougher, flip another you're focusing on damage instead. Same concept different execution. Still DCUO would be GREAT for a shapechanger or a robotic hero that could alter his form for different combat options but I don't want to play those so meh.

Also does DCUO have anything other than Metropolis? Seriously is that it? Not again.

I can see potential in either game but overall I'm not impressed with either. They both seem to have dropped the ball to me at this point. I'll know for sure when I actually play them but at this point, I don't expect an MMO being a part of my future gameplaying.

Midnite

DC Universe Hands-On Report

QuotePvP is the focus of the game for action and fun, not just for advancement. The game has plans to put a grief protection system in place. For example, if you are a higher level villain who decides to spend lots of time in uptown Metropolis killing lowbies, eventually you will draw the attention of more powerful NPCs to help quell your little rebellion.
:o

NYCC: Interview with Marv Wolfman on DCUO

JKCarrier

Quote from: Midnite on February 11, 2009, 06:48:48 PM
PvP is the focus of the game

Seriously? Blech. That pretty much kills my interest.

Courtnall6

Quote from: JKCarrier on February 15, 2009, 03:34:49 PM
Quote from: Midnite on February 11, 2009, 06:48:48 PM
PvP is the focus of the game

Seriously? Blech. That pretty much kills my interest.

Same here sadly :(

I was looking forward to trying this out...but I'm not a fan PVP (never went near it in COH or WoW).:thumbdown:

Oh well...hopefully Champions Online is good.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

UnkoMan

Yeah, I'm not a fan of PVP at all either... I guess this makes sense though, since what I had heard was that they were going to have both heroes and villains going around in the same settings. It's really too bad since this game looks far superior, graphically.

I will, at least, be trying free trials though.

MJB

PvP focused or not I'll at least rent the PS3 version and at least give it a try. :thumbup:

-MJB

marhawkman

I wonder if it'll have Lianna somewhere or the ability to make Oan characters. :)

Reepicheep

I hated PvP in CoH or SWG and never went near it. When I played WAR and descovered it was a major part of the game, I was forced to give it a try. It turned out to be balanced, fun and quite easy. It wasn't a match of 'who has the best weapons' so I felt I could enjoy it even though I didn't know what I was doing.

I figure if a game is focused around PvP, it might not be as bad as those with comparitively more PvE content.

UnkoMan

Have there been any updates about this?

...I guess I could check an actual game site, but I like getting my game info from FR.

Midnite

Quote from: UnkoMan on April 28, 2009, 05:52:41 PM
Have there been any updates about this?

...I guess I could check an actual game site, but I like getting my game info from FR.

Nope, the latest info was, pushing DCUO release date to next year.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I wasn't too impressed.  That rendition of green lantern type powers looks dumb and boring to me.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Glitch Girl

Most of the video is pretty repetative with the hammers.  The 1 ton weight is a cute touch though barely used, and then there's the sphere when the player starts to mix it up. 

What I want to know is, how many choices does the player have for how a power effect looks?  Could the hammers be a meteorswarm instead? 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Shogunn2517

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, this mission, like all the ones I've seen them show, is just fantastic.  They do seem to have nailed that.

Also the electric powers they show here are much more interesting.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.