Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Red Hulk

Started by Valandar, January 14, 2009, 10:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valandar

Did they EVER reveal who he was?

What's the sitch with this schmo?
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

Previsionary

No, he wasn't revealed yet. He'll be revealed...one day. In the future. Or in an annual.
Disappear when you least expe--

Valandar

I give it a 50-50 shot that he's someone nobody has ever heard of, who appeared in one panel thirty years ago.

"He's Jo Schmoe!"

"Who?"

"Issue Blahblah, Third panel from the top, the guy on the left jumping out of the tank as Hulk smashes it."

"Oh."

Either that, or they'll pull a Monarch, and when someone on the Internet blabs, they'll change it at the last second.
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Valandar on January 15, 2009, 05:10:52 AM
I give it a 50-50 shot that he's someone nobody has ever heard of, who appeared in one panel thirty years ago.

"He's Jo Schmoe!"

"Who?"

"Issue Blahblah, Third panel from the top, the guy on the left jumping out of the tank as Hulk smashes it."

"Oh."

Either that, or they'll pull a Monarch, and when someone on the Internet blabs, they'll change it at the last second.

You just had to bring that up, :banghead:, Hawk and Dove were some of of favarites back in the day.

Uncle Yuan

"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

zuludelta

I'm guessing it's either Glenn Talbot or maybe even Brian Banner (Bruce Banner's scientist dad). I seem to recall an issue from Paul Jenkin's Hulk run where Mr. Fantastic exhumed Brian Banner's body so he could sample some compatible DNA to cure Bruce Banner of some disease or other. Could have been some cross-contamination or something happening there >shrugs< 
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

deano_ue

it would have been so much easier to just have it be a new hulk personality.

Swingman

Quoteit would have been so much easier to just have it be a new hulk personality.

Unfortunately it's rarely that simple with Marvel:)

Glitch Girl

Should be obvious...
Spoiler
It's a skrull.

;)
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

zuludelta

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on January 15, 2009, 01:42:30 PM

I dunno... I think they've pretty much done the "hulk multiple personality" thing to death. It's been a plot staple since the early 1980s (even before Peter David's defining run came along and really fleshed it out), and it would be nice if the writers can come up with something better than having the Red Hulk just be another heretofore unseen facet of Bruce Banner's fractured psyche.
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

Vertex

A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

Avalon

"Harvey, I'm Batman!"
oppps..wrong movie.

Previsionary

Quote from: zuludelta on January 15, 2009, 09:17:50 PM
Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on January 15, 2009, 01:42:30 PM

I dunno... I think they've pretty much done the "hulk multiple personality" thing to death. It's been a plot staple since the early 1980s (even before Peter David's defining run came along and really fleshed it out), and it would be nice if the writers can come up with something better than having the Red Hulk just be another heretofore unseen facet of Bruce Banner's fractured psyche.

And I think the book would be more interesting if it wasn't just another "Hulk" running around with no purpose other than to beat up every hero (including a large group of women who were characterized as dense gossipers post fight) in existence while talking in bold letters. I was fine with only three "Hulk" characters and their hulk-like villains running around with their own motivations, styles, and characterizations. Of course things didn't work out like that. ARGH! :(
Disappear when you least expe--

Vertex

Who said Rulk was just another guy running around beating people up? He strategically attacked a shield helicarrier.... distracting everyone with brutish attack while he accomlished his true goal. If anything this "Rulk" has proven to be ruthless, devious, and extremely goal oriented.. can't help it if a bunch of female supers decided they wanted to prove their worth by trying to stop him.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

Alaric

Quote from: Vertex on January 15, 2009, 09:47:48 PM
T A L B O T

Glen Talbot was my initial theory after glancing at one of the early "Red Hulk" issues. Haven't been following the series, though.
Fear the "A"!!!

Xenolith

I can't recall the last time I read about Glen Talbot.  I thought he died in the '70s?   :o

daglob

Quote from: Xenolith on January 16, 2009, 11:44:23 PM
I can't recall the last time I read about Glen Talbot.  I thought he died in the '70s?   :o

Yeah, so, what's your point? ;)

Cyber Burn

Personally, I think The Rulk is a reincarnated Steve Rogers.  :blink:

danhagen

I just read the trade paperback and found it to be a fascinating, well-plotted exercise in adventure and suspense. This is the kind of thing I want to see in comics.
Veritas et probitas super omnia.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: danhagen on February 14, 2009, 05:00:42 PM
I just read the trade paperback and found it to be a fascinating, well-plotted exercise in adventure and suspense. This is the kind of thing I want to see in comics.

Wait, are you being serious?

danhagen

Yes. It was fun, and the mystery of his identity was interesting. The idea of a murderous, calculating Hulk is essentially a variation on the still-forming Lee-Kirby character who appeared in first few issues of his magazine. Remember when the Hulk toyed with the idea of seizing the Toad Mens' space dreadnought and using it to dominate humanity?
And the revelation of the people who are behind the Red Hulk is an echo of the series' decades-long, overarching theme: Who is the real monster?

AfghanAnt

Quote from: danhagen on February 14, 2009, 05:39:10 PM
Yes. It was fun, and the mystery of his identity was interesting. The idea of a murderous, calculating Hulk is essentially a variation on the still-forming Lee-Kirby character who appeared in first few issues of his magazine. Remember when the Hulk toyed with the idea of seizing the Toad Mens' space dreadnought and using it to dominate humanity?
And the revelation of the people who are behind the Red Hulk is an echo of the series' decades-long, overarching theme: Who is the real monster?

Are you Loeb? Because if you are, you have to tell me or this is entrapment. The calculating Hulk thing has been done at least twice Grey Hulk and Maestro. Did I miss something else about Rulk because they haven't revealed very much besides Thunderbolt and Doc Samson (I don't know why Leo would all of a sudden become not only "evil" but start working against his friends). The only thing that was entertaining was the art.

danhagen

I haven't followed the Hulk closely in recent years, so it's new to me and I enjoyed it. And no, my name is Dan hagen.

captmorgan72

I actually really like Red Hulk. I totally believe it's Talbot who is Rulk. His combat/military training shows through in his dialogue and when he defeated Hulk by outfighting him and when he defeated Thor by outsmarting him with strategy. He seems often surprised at what he can do in "his new body". Seem to me that he possesses all of the Hulk's abilities minus the "rage factor" getting stronger as he grows angrier. So that would place him in the same powerset as Professor Hulk. Of course in round two Thor nearly defeats him and Hulk grows so angry that his strength rockets to Saturn and he knocks out Rulk with a haymaker. Makes sense to me.

Many often complain that Thor should never have been defeated by Rulk. I ask why? Thor has almost always been owned by Hulk in the past. While it's true that Rulk doesn't grow stronger as he gets angrier like Hulk, he does though have the same strength as say Professor Hulk. Using that along with the strategy he used was enough to beat Thor, though this trick would only work once. I know how he did it is controversial but hey, Mjolnir was moved around in space by Iron Man before, so other writers also used this angle. So far, Thor doesn't seem to tap the "Odin Force" when he fights for some reason, he only used it to summon Asgard/Asgardians. Perhaps if he used it to fight Rulk, the outcome would have been different.

marhawkman

He CAN'T use the Odinforce like that. He can do almost anything with it but not often. I think he can only use it like once a year or something like that. Thus he only uses it if he has no other way of accomplishing his goal.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: marhawkman on February 16, 2009, 12:27:27 PM
He CAN'T use the Odinforce like that. He can do almost anything with it but not often. I think he can only use it like once a year or something like that. Thus he only uses it if he has no other way of accomplishing his goal.

We saw him use it in three issues back to back to awaken the lost Asgardians. I don't think it is a question of if he has the Odin force I think it boils down what can he do with it? So far we've seen him disrupt satellites in Cap's honor, awaken Asgardians, and defeat Bor and the Destroyer. He obviously doesn't have the control Odin did. Odin was all seeing yet Thor is constantly be dupe or tricked by Loki. If anything I think having the Odin force and being able to use it to its fullest are different things.

captmorgan72

Actually Thor didn't use the Odin force to defeat the destroyer. He used it to release the Asgardians and Balder was released from the armour. So in a sense I guess he did but not really. Also, what issue did he defeat Odin's father, I must be missing that issue?

AfghanAnt

Quote from: captmorgan72 on February 17, 2009, 12:44:27 AM
Actually Thor didn't use the Odin force to defeat the destroyer. He used it to release the Asgardians and Balder was released from the armour. So in a sense I guess he did but not really. Also, what issue did he defeat Odin's father, I must be missing that issue?

Thor had to have used the Odin power to defeat Bal-Destroyer because he has never defeated the Destroyer on his own.

Crap spoiler on the Bor thing.

marhawkman

Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 17, 2009, 03:34:14 AM
Quote from: captmorgan72 on February 17, 2009, 12:44:27 AMActually Thor didn't use the Odin force to defeat the destroyer. He used it to release the Asgardians and Balder was released from the armour. So in a sense I guess he did but not really. Also, what issue did he defeat Odin's father, I must be missing that issue?
Thor had to have used the Odin power to defeat Bal-Destroyer because he has never defeated the Destroyer on his own.

What morgan was saying is that the Odinforce was used once to both stop the destroyer AND resurrect the Asgardians.

as for Thor's control, I don't think Odin used the Odinforce to sense things. He had a seperate ability that let him do that.

GhostMachine

Quote from: marhawkman on February 17, 2009, 07:13:29 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 17, 2009, 03:34:14 AM
Quote from: captmorgan72 on February 17, 2009, 12:44:27 AMActually Thor didn't use the Odin force to defeat the destroyer. He used it to release the Asgardians and Balder was released from the armour. So in a sense I guess he did but not really. Also, what issue did he defeat Odin's father, I must be missing that issue?

What morgan was saying is that the Odinforce was used once to both stop the destroyer AND resurrect the Asgardians.

as for Thor's control, I don't think Odin used the Odinforce to sense things. He had a seperate ability that let him do that.

Odin had the power to see the future while he he was sleeping. Is that what you're thinking of?